Groups

Smoking Age to raise to 18

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stmnews.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Will it help reduce kids getting addicted to it in their mid-to-late teens and developing into an addictive habit? In certain demographics, yes imo...

Will it stop teenagers from trying and smoking from their early teens, not imo...

Will it just increase the use among girls (where use is increasing) who are desperate to rebel, most definately imo...

Who wants to bet kids will start selling ciggies in school and they'll most likely be 6th formers... have new laws come in place to deal with this?
    Will schools be able to enforce all their kids NOT to smoke? (My school accomodated smoking for 6th formers)
    Will kids claim human rights issues despite breaking the law but having an addiction? (prisoners were able to sue for addiction they couldn't have why not students?)
    Has more funding been allowed for schools to deal with all the varying enforcement (expensive cctv setups anyone?), health, policy, councilling etc required that might increase at some schools

While I agree with the new law, it's a shame its been so bloody badly thought out and no doubt will be just as badly implimented

Overall a good thing, just a shame we're more concerned these days with protectings kids rights than keeping them inline with common decency and not shedding them of the invincibility attitude many of the little ***** seem to have

4 Comments

They smoke on the bus. I don't think anyone's going to be patrolling the busses and handing out on the spot fines...

:x

Banned

schizoboy

]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216523.stmWill it help reduce kids … ]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216523.stmWill it help reduce kids getting addicted to it in their mid-to-late teens and developing into an addictive habit? In certain demographics, yes imo...Will it stop teenagers from trying and smoking from their early teens, not imo...Will it just increase the use among girls (where use is increasing) who are desperate to rebel, most definately imo...Who wants to bet kids will start selling ciggies in school and they'll most likely be 6th formers... have new laws come in place to deal with this?Will schools be able to enforce all their kids NOT to smoke? (My school accomodated smoking for 6th formers)Will kids claim human rights issues despite breaking the law but having an addiction? (prisoners were able to sue for addiction they couldn't have why not students?)Has more funding been allowed for schools to deal with all the varying enforcement (expensive cctv setups anyone?), health, policy, councilling etc required that might increase at some schools[COLOR=red]While I agree with the new law, it's a shame its been so bloody badly thought out and no doubt will be just as badly implimented[/COLOR]Overall a good thing, just a shame we're more concerned these days with protectings kids rights than keeping them inline with common decency and not shedding them of the invincibility attitude many of the little ***** seem to have

I have to agree, like most current laws.

I can count, in the past couple of years, 3 people I have known age 44 up to 64 who have died from lung cancer - put down by the Doctors to smoking - I Went to their funerals. I used to smoke sixty sticks a week until kicking the habit in 1980, than God.

I work for Asda and we put up the age limit for buying cigarettes to 18 on the 1st September last year, anyone who looks 21 or under have to be ID'd and if we suspect someone is buying for a younger person we will not sell it to them. I believe this can only be a good thing.

in theory its a good idea but unfortunately if the underage want to smoke....they will find a way just as they always have
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1329
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814511
      3. Walker crisps33
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313807

See more discussions