Smoothie Maker

Found 15th Aug 2017
Been looking at best option for smoothie makers.
Want to increase my fruit intake and came to the conclusion that this is the best option.
Question is, is the Nutribullet worth it? or should i opt for the budget model.

Would be using at least once a day.

Thank you in advance,
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Hinari Genie all the way

It's £30 on Amazon but you can get it for around £20 if you shop around or wait a while.

EDIT: Currently £22 at Asda
Edited by: "squiff" 16th Aug 2017
Nutri Ninja are better then nutribullets
smoothies are not the best way of increasing fruit intake...
1. smoothies are high in sugar which has it's own negative effects
2. low intake of fruit is not the only food you should be concerned about, you also have vegetables which contain variety of vitamins and minerals often not present in fruit
3. smoothies have no bulk and are partially churned (by the blender) so basically you will feel hungry relatively quickly (blender will do 90% of the stomach's job)
4. a glass of fruit smoothie can have as much as 50-60g of sugar (medium banana 30g, medium apple around 20g and that's without adding milk/yoghurt/other), take into consideration info from point 3 and think what will fill you up for longer... whole fruit or smoothie

eat more fruit and veg as snacks and part of meals. smoothies are overhyped fads

PS> Found a nice article on the internet which contained this and summaries my points quite nicely:
Here is what a ‘healthy’ green smoothie might contain:

• 1 cup spinach, fresh
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup orange juice
  • ¾ cups strawberries
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • 1 banana
This concoction contains 218 calories. Even though it may feel like a ‘green’ smoothie with all those leaves in the blender, only about 6% of the calories come from the spinach. The rest is all fruit, with a total of 32 grams of sugar. 59% of the total calories in this smoothie come from sugar.
Now consider that by consuming this in the liquid form you may be less satisfied, less full, and subsequently eat more calories during the day than you otherwise would have if you ate those ingredients as solid foods. Also consider that by taking those foods as liquids instead of solids you may be significantly changing the immediate blood sugar spike and subsequent blood sugar fall you experience (in a bad way)
Edited by: "mattsk" 15th Aug 2017
Nutri Ninja is the best!!! Expensive but an investment.

Make great smoothies, milkshake, and fruit juices.

I use mine almost everyday (To make a healthy veg juice in the morning.

Had mine for about 4 years now - its much cheaper now - click here
We did a ridiculous amount of research before buying a Nutribullet. I haven't tried any other makes as we went for this as our first purchase.

One of the main benefits for us was that we wanted really smooth smoothies, the Nutribullet will zap all sorts of seeds and harder fruit and veg to a completely smooth drink. It works well with adding ice etc too, all in approx 30 seconds.

Also makes a fab baileys,banana milkshake but that might be a personal preference. We have the 900 version
mattsk3 h, 55 m ago

smoothies are not the best way of increasing fruit intake...1. smoothies …smoothies are not the best way of increasing fruit intake...1. smoothies are high in sugar which has it's own negative effects2. low intake of fruit is not the only food you should be concerned about, you also have vegetables which contain variety of vitamins and minerals often not present in fruit3. smoothies have no bulk and are partially churned (by the blender) so basically you will feel hungry relatively quickly (blender will do 90% of the stomach's job)4. a glass of fruit smoothie can have as much as 50-60g of sugar (medium banana 30g, medium apple around 20g and that's without adding milk/yoghurt/other), take into consideration info from point 3 and think what will fill you up for longer... whole fruit or smoothieeat more fruit and veg as snacks and part of meals. smoothies are overhyped fadsPS> Found a nice article on the internet which contained this and summaries my points quite nicely:Here is what a ‘healthy’ green smoothie might contain:1 cup spinach, fresh¼ cup water¼ cup orange juice¾ cups strawberries½ cup blueberries1 bananaThis concoction contains 218 calories. Even though it may feel like a ‘green’ smoothie with all those leaves in the blender, only about 6% of the calories come from the spinach. The rest is all fruit, with a total of 32 grams of sugar. 59% of the total calories in this smoothie come from sugar.Now consider that by consuming this in the liquid form you may be less satisfied, less full, and subsequently eat more calories during the day than you otherwise would have if you ate those ingredients as solid foods. Also consider that by taking those foods as liquids instead of solids you may be significantly changing the immediate blood sugar spike and subsequent blood sugar fall you experience (in a bad way)

Exactly this ^^

We had a Nutri Ninja BL450 which was incredibly efficient at making smoothies, however, we found that a smoothie is basically just sugar in a drink. I know it's natural sugar, but it's still sugar and because it had been blended your body gets all the sugar at once, which can cause problems in some people. If you just ate the fruit, your body would have to break it down thus spreading the release of sugar.

I realise this doesn't seem to affect everyone the same, but it's something to be aware of.
Pandamansays4 h, 4 m ago

Exactly this ^^We had a Nutri Ninja BL450 which was incredibly efficient …Exactly this ^^We had a Nutri Ninja BL450 which was incredibly efficient at making smoothies, however, we found that a smoothie is basically just sugar in a drink. I know it's natural sugar, but it's still sugar and because it had been blended your body gets all the sugar at once, which can cause problems in some people. If you just ate the fruit, your body would have to break it down thus spreading the release of sugar. I realise this doesn't seem to affect everyone the same, but it's something to be aware of.

Couldn't you just drink a bit at a time
snoopy1839 m ago

Yes you probably could and that would likely solve the problem, although I don't think that's how people generally consume smoothies. We were having ours at breakfast time, and were feeling lousy around mid morning.

I returned my Nutri Ninja, and just eat more fruit and veg generally.
snoopy188 h, 30 m ago

there is that magical chemical process called oxidisation... by the end of the day water would have more nutrients
whelan18915th Aug

Nutri Ninja are better then nutribullets

Thanks for the comment,
What is the difference ?
tinkerbellian15th Aug

We did a ridiculous amount of research before buying a Nutribullet. I …We did a ridiculous amount of research before buying a Nutribullet. I haven't tried any other makes as we went for this as our first purchase. One of the main benefits for us was that we wanted really smooth smoothies, the Nutribullet will zap all sorts of seeds and harder fruit and veg to a completely smooth drink. It works well with adding ice etc too, all in approx 30 seconds.Also makes a fab baileys,banana milkshake but that might be a personal preference. We have the 900 version

Brilliant, Sounds great. What model do you have?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants