SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order info

Editor 1611
Found 26th Jun 2017
2726506.jpg

2726506.jpg
Just announced by Nintendo of America.

"Super Mario World, Earthbound, Star Fox 2 + 18 more games? Now you’re playing with super power! #SNESClassic launches 9/29."

Where to order SNES Classic Mini:

Smyth's
Shopto
Official Nintendo UK store
28 June 2017 Very
Grainger Games
29th June 2017: Argos
29th June 2017: Toys R Us
4th July Simply Games
4th July Tesco Direct
5th July Game
10th July Argos

IT'S HERE! After the mini NES selling out everywhere last Christmas, Nintendo just announced the Super NES Classic Edition. Release date is 29th September 2017 and retailers are currently offering pre-orders for between £69.99 and £79.99. If you can remember the shopping frenzy last Christmas around the NES, you'll want to get your hands on the mini SNES as soon as possible so make sure you follow this thread for updates.

There will be 20 classic SNES games included plus Star Fox 2, a game that had previously never been released.

The games included will be:

Contra III: The Alien Wars™Donkey Kong Country™EarthBound™Final Fantasy IIIF-ZERO™Kirby™ Super StarKirby’s Dream Course™The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™Mega Man® XSecret of ManaStar Fox™Star Fox™ 2Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper FightingSuper Castlevania IV™Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®Super Mario Kart™Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™Super Mario World™Super Metroid™Super Punch-Out!! ™Yoshi’s Island™

2726506.jpg
2726506.jpg
If using the NEW version of hotukdeals you can register for SNES Stock / deal alerts here hotukdeals.com/sea…sic

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Wonder if the controller cable will be the same length as the nes version?
Banned
Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi’s Island
Awesome! Only 2 more Christmases until the Gamecube Classic at this rate!
Super Mario World... I'm having 1
1611 Comments
Wonder if the controller cable will be the same length as the nes version?
Let's hope they produce a decent amount of these this time
Banned
Star Fox 2 confirms these will resell at an even higher premium than the Nintendo Classic. That and there being more (and better) 2 player games.
Banned
Axpro

Let's hope they produce a decent amount of these this time

Will be the same deal as before. They could have made the Nintendo Classic more available at any old time they wished to (and especially after all the criticism), but they chose not to.
What are the other games?
If one of those is Castlevania IV...
Banned
Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi’s Island
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars™
  • Donkey Kong Country™
  • EarthBound™
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO™
  • Kirby™ Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course™
  • The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
  • Mega Man® X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox™
  • Star Fox™ 2
  • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV™
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
  • Super Mario Kart™
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
  • Super Mario World™
  • Super Metroid™
  • Super Punch-Out!! ™
  • Yoshi’s Island™
neilanderton120 s ago

Contra III: The Alien Wars™Donkey Kong Country™EarthBound™Final Fantasy III …Contra III: The Alien Wars™Donkey Kong Country™EarthBound™Final Fantasy IIIF-ZERO™Kirby™ Super StarKirby’s Dream Course™The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™Mega Man® XSecret of ManaStar Fox™Star Fox™ 2Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper FightingSuper Castlevania IV™Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®Super Mario Kart™Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™Super Mario World™Super Metroid™Super Punch-Out!! ™Yoshi’s Island

Beat me!
Super Mario World... I'm having 1
Supermod
Some notable absentees, like Pilotwings, Donkey Kong Country 2&3 for example, and I'd have loved to see Super Tennis on there. But Star Fox 2?! Hnnngh!!
Banned
morocco1

Nah, they will be saving GCN titles for Switch.
Banned
This is going for $80, so expect £80 here.
My god, need.

Hopefully the European design over here...
Edited by: "marmaluke" 26th Jun 2017
neilanderton1

Nah, they will be saving GCN titles for Switch.

I know :'(
Woahh
If the controller cord length is decent and I can get one at RRP then I'll buy one otherwise they can get bent. This won't do anything that a current gen Raspberry Pi can't do anyway.
Original Poster Editor
31297529-Zxxi0.jpg
31297529-qBqC6.jpg
It's worth it just for the games we couldn't get in the UK. Can you put actual carts into this as well?
widdac

It's worth it just for the games we couldn't get in the UK. Can you put … It's worth it just for the games we couldn't get in the UK. Can you put actual carts into this as well?

​judging by the size of it, it doesn't look like you can put carts in actually.
Any idea when pre-orders will start?
Banned
morocco1

I know :'(

But hey, at least look forward to N64 mini! I do think they will go ahead with that one. Then again, there might be an issue there since a good part of the N64 library that fans loves is on the Rare side... so that means BK, BK2, Blast Corps, Goldeneye 64 will be off the table.
morocco1

To do a GC version, they would need to do one of 3 things:

1. Include a lot of internal storage (64GB+) and embed the ROM dumps onto that.
2. Connect it to a virtual store where users can download/buy games themselves.
3. Include support for the original mini DVD format.

I can't see Nintendo doing any of those tbh. I agree with the earlier poster that GC virtual console games for Switch are far more likely. A lot of GC games have already been rehashed for the Wii and Wii U though because the GC was never a popular console.
It's a great selection of games. The only slight improvement I can think of would be to include a shoot-em-up like Super Aleste or Super R-Type.
widdac

judging by the size of it, it doesn't look like you can put carts in … judging by the size of it, it doesn't look like you can put carts in actually.

The carts would be roughly the same size as the console itself.
No Micro Machines
is this hdmi or start based on the mini new. I know it won't be HD but might still have to be hdmi as some tv's don't have older connections
Banned
brandonheat

is this hdmi or start based on the mini new. I know it won't be HD but … is this hdmi or start based on the mini new. I know it won't be HD but might still have to be hdmi as some tv's don't have older connections

HDMI
I need this. Oh god I need this. Preorders need to go live asap
Banned
Spark

To do a GC version, they would need to do one of 3 things:1. Include a … To do a GC version, they would need to do one of 3 things:1. Include a lot of internal storage (64GB+) and embed the ROM dumps onto that. 2. Connect it to a virtual store where users can download/buy games themselves. 3. Include support for the original mini DVD format. I can't see Nintendo doing any of those tbh. I agree with the earlier poster that GC virtual console games for Switch are far more likely. A lot of GC games have already been rehashed for the Wii and Wii U though because the GC was never a popular console.

They don't need to do #2 or #3. Both the NES and SNES minis are self contained products with no official means of expanding the collection.

What's counting against GCN mini is finding a cheap enough mobile SoC to do the emulation justice. The reason why the NES and SNES are easy outs is because they can be done via very cheap mobile SoC.
So need this. When can we pre order?
neilanderton1

They don't need to do #2 or #3. Both the NES and SNES minis are self … They don't need to do #2 or #3. Both the NES and SNES minis are self contained products with no official means of expanding the collection.What's counting against GCN mini is finding a cheap enough mobile SoC to do the emulation justice. The reason why the NES and SNES are easy outs is because they can be done via very cheap mobile SoC.

Precisely. The key difference here is that you're talking about ROMs that are a few MB's in size versus multiple GB's in some cases. The Gamecube was Nintendo's first real optical disc-based console and thus the jump in game data size versus the N64 was massive.

Like you said, emulating it with upscaling on modern mobile chips is tough enough but then when you add in the storage requirements as well, it just wouldn't be viable.
Edited by: "Spark" 26th Jun 2017
Ordered 10 for ebay
Banned
Muig1972

It's a great selection of games. The only slight improvement I can think … It's a great selection of games. The only slight improvement I can think of would be to include a shoot-em-up like Super Aleste or Super R-Type.

​This ☺️

Or Parodius
Starfox 2 is MASSIVE news, this is so cool. Awesome that we get the SNES one too as it's a completely different design. Which doesn't surprise me as the JPN version will use the same molds as the UK one. Mega excited tho!!
Super Mario all stars? Was amazing
Banned
Spark

Precisely. The key difference here is that you're talking about ROMs that … Precisely. The key difference here is that you're talking about ROMs that are a few MB's in size versus multiple GB's in some cases. The Gamecube was Nintendo's first real optical disc-based console and thus the jump in game data size versus the N64 was massive.Like you said, emulating it with upscaling on modern mobile chips is tough enough but then when you add in the storage requirements as well, it just wouldn't be viable.

If we were to include 20 classic GCN games in a GCN mini... the obvious contenders to make that 20... we're looking at an average of 25GB in total size.

A GCN mini would likely be $129, because I can see the eventual N64 mini being $99.

Dunno, I don't see the payoff of a GCN mini being as high as it is for NES and SNES mini. I think you're really right up against the threshold when it comes to payoff with an N64 mini, nevermind a GCN one.
neilanderton1

If we were to include 20 classic GCN games in a GCN mini... the obvious … If we were to include 20 classic GCN games in a GCN mini... the obvious contenders to make that 20... we're looking at an average of 25GB in total size.A GCN mini would likely be $129, because I can see the eventual N64 mini being $99.Dunno, I don't see the payoff of a GCN mini being as high as it is for NES and SNES mini. I think you're really right up against the threshold when it comes to payoff with an N64 mini, nevermind a GCN one.

A lot of those contenders have been redone to death since then though (Windwaker, OoT, RE4, Metroid Prime).

I agree with you. I just don't see the demand being as high for it personally.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants