Found 28th Oct 2016
I'm confused as to why Nintendo don't allow this? You can hack the 2DS and it'll play SNES roms, so why don't Nintendo allow you to play SNES downloads?

14 Comments

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/03/heres_why_snes_vc_games_can_only_be_played_on_a_new_3ds

My understanding is that SNES emulation via 'homebrew' on the original 3DS and the 2DS isn't very accurate, but that the New 3DS has the power to handle this properly.

Original Poster

Illusionary

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/03/heres_why_snes_vc_games_can_only_be_played_on_a_new_3dsMy understanding is that SNES emulation via 'homebrew' on the original 3DS and the 2DS isn't very accurate, but that the New 3DS has the power to handle this properly.

Gutted. I don't want to have to spend £150 on the new 3DS just to play SNES games.

The psp (not vita) is excellent for snes

get a psp go and custom firmware. Runs every emulator below a PS1 fine. wololo.net/emu…st/

It's down to performance, the 2ds throttles to run some homebrew titles which can shorten the life of the device.

Original Poster

I don't like emulators. It's piracy and doesn't support anyone.

superfreddy

So virtual console is a lie, damn you Nintendo you filthy pirates ?

Original Poster

kester76

So virtual console is a lie, damn you Nintendo you filthy pirates ?

VC isn't illegal - neither are the games you purchase.

Good call on not supporting piracy. When there's a readily-accessible, legitimate way of getting access to the game, that should always be the first option.

superfreddy

superfreddy

I know that you know what superfreddy means.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 28th Oct 2016

Illusionary

Good call on not supporting piracy. When there's a readily-accessible, … Good call on not supporting piracy. When there's a readily-accessible, legitimate way of getting access to the game, that should always be the first option.I know that you know what superfreddy means.

​I know but virtual console is built on the foundations of emulation. Which in turn is built on the reverse engineering of crackers. I can remember reading an article about Sega releasing an megadrive emulation CD on the dreamcast which was built on the sourecode of an opensource emulator.
I've plenty of legal emulators were developed with information from dubious sources. I just think you can't group emulation with piracy without dragging the whole scene in.

kester76

​I know but virtual console is built on the foundations of emulation. W … ​I know but virtual console is built on the foundations of emulation. Which in turn is built on the reverse engineering of crackers. I can remember reading an article about Sega releasing an megadrive emulation CD on the dreamcast which was built on the sourecode of an opensource emulator. I've plenty of legal emulators were developed with information from dubious sources. I just think you can't group emulation with piracy without dragging the whole scene in.

Oh, emulators themselves are fine. Downloaded ROMs, not so much.

Illusionary

Oh, emulators themselves are fine. Downloaded ROMs, not so much.

​Legal homebrew / demo roms included ?

kester76

​Legal homebrew / demo roms included ?

Once again, I know that you know what I mean. (_;)

Illusionary

Once again, I know that you know what I mean. (_;)

​Clarification is always a boon
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland1031
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247602
    3. Hope of a cure for asthma69
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604802

See more discussions