Groups

Snow thread - where is it?

I am waiting for the wife to come home and think she is stuck on the M6 - I can see the horrendous weather and alleged drivers. Traffic is at a standstill on both sides BUT as soon as it clears a lorry driver decides they can go faster and jack knifes.... look at the camera on M6 (37252 cam) M6 26/27 - just above wigan on map.

38 Comments

Link?

Edit: bbc.co.uk/tra…52/

wow, quite busy at 2:30 AM. Very quiet and dry night here in Notts.

Edited by: "a3lawy" 18th Dec 2010

Original Poster

Try this as a starting point.
    trafficengland.com/map…3.4

Turn cameras on - right hand side...
    Then zoom in on M6 and the camera directly at the incident mark - 2 above Wigan

Currently 4 jack kniffed but 2 others have been moved...
    Edited by: "bargainhunter666" 18th Dec 2010

Original Poster

And to avoid that you would use the M61 BUT look at bbc.co.uk/tra…154

Isn't plagiarism fun:

From orange snow to the deepest ever snowfall and a certain snowy Disney character, this is the weird and wonderful world of snow.

Snow crystals form when tiny supercooled droplets freeze. The individual ice crystals that follow often have a hexagonal symmetry.

For a white Christmas to be official, a flake of snow must be observed to fall at four specific sites (including the London Weather Centre) between midnight on 24 December and midnight on 25 December, even if it is mixed with rain and is not necessarily snow lying on the ground. Under those rules, England’s last official white Christmas came in 1999.

The highest ever seasonal snowfall measured in the USA was at Mount Baker Ski Area, Washington, in 1999 – it received 29m (1,140 inches) of snow. The world’s largest snowflakes appeared in January 1887 at Fort Keogh, Montana - apparently one of them measured 38cm (15 inches) wide!

Schneewittchen is the original Low German name for one of Disney’s most famous characters – Snow White. The German version of Snow White by the Brothers Grimm, featuring elements such as the magic mirror and the seven (as yet unnamed) dwarfs, dates from 1857 – 80 years before the Disney film was released.

In February 2007 the bizarre phenomenon of orange snow fell, when an area of 1500 square km in Omsk, Tomsk and Tyumen in Siberia was covered in orange-tinted snow. It most probably happened because the snow mixed itself with a heavy sandstorm from neighbouring Kazakhstan. Jagshemash!

The phrase ‘the wrong type of snow’ first appeared in February 1991 when British Rail were caught out by a cold snap that brought snow too soft and powdery for their snowploughs to be effective. BR announced they were having particular problems 'with the type of snow', which led the London Evening Standard to run with the headline "British Rail blames the wrong type of snow."

One popular myth is that the Inuit (ie: Eskimo) people have an amazingly large number of words for snow - in 1984, the New York Times suggested it was over a hundred. However, this is probably an urban legend based simply on the fact that a) there are several differing Eskimo languages and b) they all use lots of long words made of up other words (eg: Llanfairthingy in Welsh) that make counting words difficult. Got it now?

John Snow (England cricketer), Jon Snow (Channel 4 newsreader), Brittany Snow (American actress), Snow (Canadian rapper of ‘Informer’ fame) and Snowy White (guitarist).

The world's biggest snowcastle is the Snowcastle of Kemi, a village in Finland. Every winter it is rebuilt with different architecture. It contains a snow hotel, a snow restaurant and even a snow chapel. This year's opening ceremony will be on January 30th at 6pm

Snow is white because it reflects beams of light which are scattered by a zillion little ice crystals and come bouncing straight back out again. What little sunlight is absorbed by snow is absorbed equally over the wavelengths of visible light thus giving snow its white appearance.

i live in wigan and it is really bad here, really deep. this is a picture of my car covered with snow.

http://i56.tinypic.com/291ck9c.jpg
    Edited by: "darts*bear" 18th Dec 2010

morning darts*bear

i live near the big asda n its really bad, worst ive seen in my life - im 25 next week.
    your pic is like my car :-)

never driven in snow before due to being a new driver :-/

wonder if the game at the dw goes ahead today

lots of snow here in shrewsbury this morning

hi, i live up pemberton, i am 30 on the 30th and me too, the worst i have seen here, dout the game will be on . merry christmas.

djmalone1985

morning darts*beari live near the big asda n its really bad, worst ive … morning darts*beari live near the big asda n its really bad, worst ive seen in my life - im 25 next week.your pic is like my car :-)never driven in snow before due to being a new driver :-/wonder if the game at the dw goes ahead today

No snow here in P'Boro and non forecast either. We have managed to avoid it all this winter so far.

Snow here on the south coast in Dorset. Looks lovely! Have heard M27 is bad

thick snow here in wirral..all within an hour last night!

Snowing here ( Wirral ) since 7 last night, everywhere was like a white blanket by 8.............still snowing lightly now !

wend

thick snow here in wirral..all within an hour last night!

haha, hi wend , beat me to it :D, it was amazing wasnt it how within an hour everywhere was white

Lots of snow in Rochdale, and its still snowing

Lots of snow in Bolton and Wigan.

The only weekend of the year i have to work and it snows like this..

Im in Wigan and it is absolutely ridiclous way over 10 inches!!!!!!!

we have over a foot in gloucestershire and still hammering it down... our whole area is snowed in at the moment... fun times.

Banned

faevilangel

we have over a foot in gloucestershire and still hammering it down... our … we have over a foot in gloucestershire and still hammering it down... our whole area is snowed in at the moment... fun times.

I thought you were Wiltshire?

PS - did you know you've sent me an invite to be "LiNKEDin"!

Had about an inch yesterday. Had planned to take the kids to Bluewater to see Tron, but been told all hell is set to break lose from 2pm.

guv

I thought you were Wiltshire?PS - did you know you've sent me an invite … I thought you were Wiltshire?PS - did you know you've sent me an invite to be "LiNKEDin"!Had about an inch yesterday. Had planned to take the kids to Bluewater to see Tron, but been told all hell is set to break lose from 2pm.

I didn't oO I have a linked in profile but never use it haha... Just ignore if it's real

I am on the wilts and glos border, so could say I am in wiltshire but officially in glos

Banned

faevilangel

I didn't oO I have a linked in profile but never use it haha... Just … I didn't oO I have a linked in profile but never use it haha... Just ignore if it's realI am on the wilts and glos border, so could say I am in wiltshire but officially in glos

LOL like wise... I didnt think you'd done it tbh - but knew it was you! Strangely on the same email, it had a troll on it by the name of casparwhite as someone I might also know! WTF!

My sis is in the Cotswolds..... I expect shes snowed in now!

Ahhh, I'm so glad we've escaped it in the North East this time

Banned

raining in sussex - only had snow for 2 days here so far and that was weeks ago

I's snowing really heavily here in Heathrow

Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie area all have snow - giving me peace and quiet from my gf on a saturday aaaaah

heavy snow falling on 2" of settled snow south of Canterbury, total whiteout.

edit- it's 6" plus now, bitterly cold but it's stopped snowing
    Edited by: "chalkysoil" 18th Dec 2010

snowing heavily here in shrewsbury. we had four inches overnight where i am so have no idea how deep it's going to get now!

It's like a blizzard here in east london.

The snow has been pants here, I want "proper" snow on Christmas Eve please, at approximately 7pm.
    Thanks

snowing heavily again.... I gotta go to work and all the roads haven't been gritted or plowed. The next town over (over the border) has, roads are clear.

Our council is terrible.

Very snowy here in Berkhamsted area (Herts)

Banned

snow has gone from Lincolnshire thank god, but outside minus 4 , at least your beer stays cool in the hand .........no use if for red wine though
    Edited by: "goldmax" 18th Dec 2010

Banned

faevilangel

snowing heavily again.... I gotta go to work and all the roads haven't … snowing heavily again.... I gotta go to work and all the roads haven't been gritted or plowed. The next town over (over the border) has, roads are clear.Our council is terrible.

Roads have been gritted but the snow covers it straight away.

i live between bolton and wigan and its really bad does any1 know if theres suppose be any more over the week

Live in the wash in Norfolk and we've not got any snow but its flipping freezing! Had the snow a couple of weeks ago though.

Emzy81

Live in the wash in Norfolk and we've not got any snow but its flipping … Live in the wash in Norfolk and we've not got any snow but its flipping freezing! Had the snow a couple of weeks ago though.

Try getting out of the water then

Banned

vlane86

i live between bolton and wigan and its really bad does any1 know if … i live between bolton and wigan and its really bad does any1 know if theres suppose be any more over the week

Don't know, but more coming Wednesday apparently. Looks like it's going to be a white Christmas

vlane86

i live between bolton and wigan and its really bad does any1 know if … i live between bolton and wigan and its really bad does any1 know if theres suppose be any more over the week

According to weatherpro hd on the iPad snow will fall at 6pm on tues no snow apart from that

Syzable

Try getting out of the water then

Lol I did wonder what response Id get for putting that...ok so Im not literally IN the wash but you know what I mean
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions