Groups

Snowy Roads/Pavements and High Unemployment

The council say they haven't got the resources to clear pavements and minor roads, how about we get some of the dole people to earn their benefits and clear them?

34 Comments

Supermod

The "resources" is not always manpower. It could be grit, tools etc.

good idea i say HOWEVER........... they would probably slip, fall and break a bone, thus sueing...

i read somewhere that in certain snowy countries its the residents duty to help keep pathways clear & they do it without question !

richp;7522551

i read somewhere that in certain snowy countries its the residents duty … i read somewhere that in certain snowy countries its the residents duty to help keep pathways clear & they do it without question !

if only that were here!!!

bring back national service i say i always wanted to have a go and see how much of a whimp i am!

not every person on benifits are bums

Original Poster

magicjay1986;7522518

The "resources" is not always manpower. It could be grit, tools etc.

I'm sure we can find a few quid down Brown's sofa to get a few snow shovels :thumbsup:

im not sticking up for all doley, but im on benifits because im disabled due to becoming injured whilst serving time in the army... so i feel ive earnt mine!

csamual;7522573

not every person on benifits are bums

I can vouch for that, I work at the jobcentre and sign people on. Some are there and will be forever but most are genuine and very much unhappy signing on.

Supermod

peodude;7522577

I'm sure we can find a few quid down Brown's sofa to get a few snow … I'm sure we can find a few quid down Brown's sofa to get a few snow shovels :thumbsup:

It isnt just Brown :thumbsup:

peodude;7522577

I'm sure we can find a few quid down Brown's sofa to get a few snow … I'm sure we can find a few quid down Brown's sofa to get a few snow shovels :thumbsup:

+1.

Banned

I was saying exactly this round the in-laws the other night, The un-employed would come and clear the roads 20 years ago, Not because the labour exchange made them but because they had a sense of community

darcyleverfc;7522607

I can vouch for that, I work at the jobcentre and sign people on. Some … I can vouch for that, I work at the jobcentre and sign people on. Some are there and will be forever but most are genuine and very much unhappy signing on.

i agree been both sides of that fence

shame its not like some country i read about, to get your ££ each week well fortnight here you have to go so many hours per week and do some form of public duty or you get sweet f a to live on

for me i would have loved to do that while signing getting some skills or experence specially after coming outta school and not affording further education

if anything the lifers should be found out and dealt with accordingly as rightly said some hate claiming and only do it as a last resort!

Remember people on 'the dole' are job-seekers and jobseeking can itself be full-time work. Remember also they did just what you are suggesting in 1930's USA, don't think it really worked that well...

Original Poster

Housing Benefit = £60 a week
    Council Tax Benefit = £25 a week
    Job Seekers Allowance = £65 a week

Total = £150 a week.

You can see why some people are claiming rather than working though, With the minimum wage at £5.80, people would have to be working 26 hours before they would break even. :w00t:

peodude;7522719

Housing Benefit = £60 a weekCouncil Tax Benefit = £25 a weekJob Seekers A … Housing Benefit = £60 a weekCouncil Tax Benefit = £25 a weekJob Seekers Allowance = £65 a weekTotal = £150 a week.You can see why some people are claiming rather than working though, With the minimum wage at £5.80, people would have to be working 26 hours before they would break even. :w00t:

I can't even answer that! my son has been doing eveything & more to find a job & more. Your figures are also wrong. he does not receive anything like that & would love to work. :x

Banned

The council should employ people to clear the roads.

Two problems solved :thinking:

The Unemployed, Offenders doing Community service and Traffic Wardens with shovels would be a warming site.

Dont forget when signing on IIRC you have to declare any hours worked (either paid or voluntary) so it would be a mass of extra paperwork and if they failed to declare would get their benefits stopped.

As above not all on benefits are dossers.

harlzter;7523022

Dont forget when signing on IIRC you have to declare any hours worked … Dont forget when signing on IIRC you have to declare any hours worked (either paid or voluntary) so it would be a mass of extra paperwork and if they failed to declare would get their benefits stopped.As above not all on benefits are dossers.

Unfortunately you are probably right. Another example of a world gone mad. However, let's go mad and bend the rules. Find some shovels (how hard can that be) dish them out and get shoveling.
    Or is that too much like hard work?

superskilly;7522532

good idea i say HOWEVER........... they would probably slip, fall and … good idea i say HOWEVER........... they would probably slip, fall and break a bone, thus sueing...

Yup. I slipped flat on my back this morning on the main road I am considering legal action

harlzter;7523022

Dont forget when signing on IIRC you have to declare any hours worked … Dont forget when signing on IIRC you have to declare any hours worked (either paid or voluntary) so it would be a mass of extra paperwork and if they failed to declare would get their benefits stopped.As above not all on benefits are dossers.

You have to declare any hours worked by filling in a B7 form, this is ofset against your jobseekers allowance.

for eg, a 25 yr old on JSA - £64.50 a week
    they work 7 hours a week at £5.80 an hour = £40.60
    this is taken from their £64.50 meaning they get
    £40.60 from working and £23.90 jsa + £5 bonus for working = £69.50

They have to do these forms every fortnight, if they dont then money is stopped altogether if found to be working.

Its a nightmare for them as they come out £5 better off however are doing 7 hours work for £5 in reality.

richp;7522551

i read somewhere that in certain snowy countries its the residents duty … i read somewhere that in certain snowy countries its the residents duty to help keep pathways clear & they do it without question !

I got a mate living in Canada at the moment and when it snowed all the residents come out and clear their bit of the pathway, he didnt realise and when he came out they all looked at him like he was an alien!! Which of course he is...:-D

Original Poster

darcyleverfc;7523169

Its a nightmare for them as they come out £5 better off however are doing … Its a nightmare for them as they come out £5 better off however are doing 7 hours work for £5 in reality.

That's what i was trying to say earlier, doing all that work for effectively £5 isn't enough motivation.

darcyleverfc;7523169

You have to declare any hours worked by filling in a B7 form, this is … You have to declare any hours worked by filling in a B7 form, this is ofset against your jobseekers allowance. for eg, a 25 yr old on JSA - £64.50 a week they work 7 hours a week at £5.80 an hour = £40.60this is taken from their £64.50 meaning they get £40.60 from working and £23.90 jsa + £5 bonus for working = £69.50They have to do these forms every fortnight, if they dont then money is stopped altogether if found to be working. Its a nightmare for them as they come out £5 better off however are doing 7 hours work for £5 in reality.

Not sure if I missed something but why are you basing this calculation on 7 hours of work a week?

I think all the criminals in prisons should be made to do all the work, of course they would need to be chained and other sorts of security measures, but they do nothing in jail.

DarkKnight;7523318

I think all the criminals in prisons should be made to do all the work, … I think all the criminals in prisons should be made to do all the work, of course they would need to be chained and other sorts of security measures, but they do nothing in jail.

Yes I know what ur saying - but I reckon what would work better is people on community service - get them shovelling and clearing paths.

Part of the reason why there is high unemployment is due to certain businesses/agencies bringing in cheap foreign labour. There are plenty of unemployed british people that would be happy to work on the olympic stadium, and not many are. The people that are working on there were in most cases recruited in the countries that they came from not here.

maybe we should all get out there and do it ourselves instead of moaning that nobody else has done it for us:w00t:

mosskeeto;7523233

I got a mate living in Canada at the moment and when it snowed all the … I got a mate living in Canada at the moment and when it snowed all the residents come out and clear their bit of the pathway, he didnt realise and when he came out they all looked at him like he was an alien!! Which of course he is...:-D

I take it you mean he is not a local rather than he actually is an alien from outer space :whistling:

darcyleverfc;7523169

You have to declare any hours worked by filling in a B7 form, this is … You have to declare any hours worked by filling in a B7 form, this is ofset against your jobseekers allowance. for eg, a 25 yr old on JSA - £64.50 a week they work 7 hours a week at £5.80 an hour = £40.60this is taken from their £64.50 meaning they get £40.60 from working and £23.90 jsa + £5 bonus for working = £69.50They have to do these forms every fortnight, if they dont then money is stopped altogether if found to be working. Its a nightmare for them as they come out £5 better off however are doing 7 hours work for £5 in reality.

Why is this a nightmare? It depends on how you look at it. They are in fact receiving £69.50 for doing only 7 hours work per week.

Banned

peodude;7522719

Housing Benefit = £60 a weekCouncil Tax Benefit = £25 a weekJob Seekers A … Housing Benefit = £60 a weekCouncil Tax Benefit = £25 a weekJob Seekers Allowance = £65 a weekTotal = £150 a week.You can see why some people are claiming rather than working though, With the minimum wage at £5.80, people would have to be working 26 hours before they would break even. :w00t:

Housing Benefit = £225 a week
    Council tax benefit = £25 a week
    JSA = £65 a week

Total = £315 a week

this is what a good friend of mine gets, now tell me how she is better off with a job in a supermarket

its not even feasible

darcyleverfc;7522607

most are very much unhappy signing on.

I'd say ALL. Pain in the **** dragging yourself down to sign on every 2 weeks. Bloody employment service have no consideration:whistling:

Sheena0104;7523312

Not sure if I missed something but why are you basing this calculation on … Not sure if I missed something but why are you basing this calculation on 7 hours of work a week?

erm, as an EXAMPLE!!!

I could have any hours under 16 as you cant work more than 16 on jsa...

Jeeeeeez

Shengis;7531252

I'd say ALL. Pain in the **** dragging yourself down to sign on every 2 … I'd say ALL. Pain in the **** dragging yourself down to sign on every 2 weeks. Bloody employment service have no consideration:whistling:

Live chat sign ons...............its the future.................saves you gettin outta bed to sign on
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News56
      2. RIP DOCTOR WHO710
      3. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1218
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?67

See more discussions