So.....................

Posted 1st JulEdited by:"Frankie77"
Why the sudden explosion of the need to prefix the word "so................" before an explanation is relayed?

I noticed it is was an annoying Americanism that has now found its way over here, as they usually do. Starting with the kids who implemented the american high rising terminal into their speech. Now every day we have interviewees, politicians, advisers, experts, basically anyone asked to give an explanation start with "so......................" before they answer a question.

What happened to the good ol' "ermmm..." . But even then that was more of a thinking mechanism before delivering your speech. So...... is more a filler as they usually already have their message ready to be broadcasted.

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Not as annoying as spelling it’s when you mean its.
35 Comments
np8501/07/2020 20:22

Debatable as it's so annoying to wait for first letter capitalisation of country names to be effected.
Not as bad as saying "My Bad" ,I hate that
Not quite as annoying as 'could of', 'would of', 'should of' etc.
AndyRoyd01/07/2020 20:40

Debatable as it's so annoying to wait for first letter capitalisation of …Debatable as it's so annoying to wait for first letter capitalisation of country names to be effected.

Already noticed it but then I would have to edit and go through moderation etc. so I just left it in to see who would pick up on it. You are a winner!
Not as annoying as people who get annoyed at silly little things that don't really matter
"Why the sudden explosion of the need to prefix the word "so................" before an explanation is relayed?"

Is there a sudden explosion?
What explosion?
Ending a sentence with a rising inflection is a normal part of many British accents and has been for decades, if not centuries.
AndyRoyd01/07/2020 20:40

Debatable as it's so annoying to wait for first letter capitalisation of …Debatable as it's so annoying to wait for first letter capitalisation of country names to be effected.

Affected vs effected?
Edited by: "britlad" 1st Jul
So, this has been happening for way too long now, same as people speaking like you don't understand what they're saying...that bit at the end, you know, like they're asking a question but they're not
britlad01/07/2020 20:54

Affected vs effected?

Effected is correct as stated, otherwise it would affect the context.
Live Vs Live
So what?
Wouldn't the country names/first letter be affected by the effect of capitalisation?
Edited by: "britlad" 1st Jul
Or is it effected?
If someone (somebody?) read this message 50 years ago they would probably question your own language use. Don't be xenophobic and ageist.
So..... there is a global pandemic and this is what’s on your mind
EndlessWaves01/07/2020 20:49

Ending a sentence with a rising inflection is a normal part of many …Ending a sentence with a rising inflection is a normal part of many British accents and has been for decades, if not centuries.

I thought the rising inflection habit was an Aussie thing that came over here with Neighbours et al?
Chipps01/07/2020 22:12

So..... there is a global pandemic and this is what’s on your mind

Life and its quirks and annoyances doesn't just stop because of that.
Starting with "So" has been compulsory on the show Pointless for at least 3 years now, probably much longer.
Happening for year, people say prom in stead of school disco, high school instead of seniors. The way everyone is starting to sue for everything. I wouldn’t say saying “so” came from America.

what really gets me is when you go to pick your language and the option is “US English”...
it attracts the attention of those of us doing something else (possibly more useful) and therefore missing the first few syllables

(ergo frequently used by the female)
Bargainhead02/07/2020 06:09

Happening for year, people say prom in stead of school disco, high school …Happening for year, people say prom in stead of school disco, high school instead of seniors. The way everyone is starting to sue for everything. I wouldn’t say saying “so” came from America.what really gets me is when you go to pick your language and the option is “US English”...

High school has been used as an alternate name for senior school in Britain for at least 50 years. There is a different meaning though, here it's the school you attend between 11 and 16 finishing with your GCSEs, in the US it's 14-18.

Numbering school years 1 to 12 is definitely something we acquired from America.
spoo02/07/2020 14:37

High school has been used as an alternate name for senior school in …High school has been used as an alternate name for senior school in Britain for at least 50 years. There is a different meaning though, here it's the school you attend between 11 and 16 finishing with your GCSEs, in the US it's 14-18.Numbering school years 1 to 12 is definitely something we acquired from America.

Not where I live, I finished seniors 30 years ago and no one called it high school... it might be a regional name but definitely not in the northeast when I was growing up..
ccnp02/07/2020 07:19

it attracts the attention of those of us doing something else (possibly …it attracts the attention of those of us doing something else (possibly more useful) and therefore missing the first few syllables(ergo frequently used by the female)

Or people to lazy to say excuse me to get people attention or using a name...
Its like, so annoying. Like.
Bargainhead02/07/2020 15:15

Not where I live, I finished seniors 30 years ago and no one called it …Not where I live, I finished seniors 30 years ago and no one called it high school... it might be a regional name but definitely not in the northeast when I was growing up..

Maybe it is regional.

I was bought up in the Black Country, when I was growing up in the 80s everyone called them High Schools, the phrase was even part of the official name of a lot of the local schools. In the case of my school I know for a fact the name went back to at least 1971 as it's printed on the bottom of an old school photo of my sister's.
Never heard of high school being called seniors ever.
So / capitalisation issues slowly eroding HUKD discussions... hotukdeals.com/dis…979
So, to me, implies there was something was said before it. Like missing the beginning of a conversation.
Wrong use of to versus too is annoying.
spoo01/07/2020 20:44

Not quite as annoying as 'could of', 'would of', 'should of' etc.

And 'getting off of' .
I seen a man instead of I saw a man (other genders are available.)
Edited by: "Firebird_37" 2nd Jul
So it like makes me really angry. I'm like 1000% sure I literally exploded.
Edited by: "spoo" 2nd Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text