So how many computers have you bought this year?

Found 12th Dec 2011
It dawned on me after I got the text from the courier to tell me my latest computer purchase from scan (arriving between 3 and 4 today) that I've had an exceptionally mad year for computer purchases in the house!

i5 PC built for myself back in March (a long overdue upgrade)
i3 PC built for me eldest in February (Again a long overdue upgrade - birthday gift)
i3 PC built for me youngest in April (Again a long overdue upgrade - birthday gift)
Dell Netbook for the missus in March (Birthday gift)
Samsung Galaxy Tab P1010) (in July Sold on as got better deal for iPad the same week.)
64GB iPad (for me in July)
HP Microserver (Bought August to act as server for XBMC)
HP Microserver (Bought August 'cos it was too damned cheap not to buy another!)
32GB HP touchpad (bought in October - but Xmas gift for eldest - and courtesy of helpful mod with reservation code and trip up to Coventry from London to collect from Argos!)
16GB HP touchpad (bought in October - but Xmas gift for youngest - and courtesy of generous member at firesale price!)
Sony PRS600 touch ereader (For the missus at Xmas)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (Alas is being returned and replaced with a Nexus this week)
ER 4001 - arriving today but to be used for XBMC in the log cabin

Now.... I might love to spend loads of dosh...... But I'm just flabergasted on the volume of computers bought this year! It just seems absolutely crazy!

So - The big question...... has this also been a bumper computer purchase year for you also?

Minimum requirement - Web browising is a must on the device...... no calculators and cheapskate abacus can be included in your lists...

Go.................

Community Updates
Misc
51 Comments
I do all my work on this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/mula-abacus__21167_PE106157_S4.jpg
jellybaby22

2 laptops and 2 iPads ..hp micro serverSony s tablet

Mad isn't it! So many devices that are just accepted as "necessary" pieces of kit!

I expect my list will be dwarfed by some!........ I'ts just one of those eye popping "wtf" moments when you sit back and think about it!

working on those is easy, wait until you try the latest games and they soon over heat

Syzable

I do all my work on this

Thats some busy year you had there guv. Completely the opposite for me, aside a 32GB touchpad absolutely nothing - that said, the machines I have which are 2/3/4/5 years old are still all quite usable - things just don't seem to advance so quickly these days.
Syzable

I do all my work on this

Then you must remove yourself and go stand in the corner.

The OP quite clearly stated cheapskate abacus isn't welcome itt.X)
Wow! Someone has too much money....well, not so much now!

My main computer is a good 5 years old and fine, laptop I got this year was a competition win and wouldn't have got otherwise, and phone was an upgrade so free!
Edited by: "cdm22" 12th Dec 2011
I bought a HP Netbook, and Acer ER1401 and an iPad. Considering I only use computers for downloads and Internet maybe a bit excessive but I still find myself wanting more!
it depends on your definition of year.

If it's this time last year 12/12/10 through to 12/12/11 or, 1/1/11 through to today, or maybe you were referencing to the financial year?

on my count it would be about tree fiddy
None no need

1x Dell Laptop T9500 Circa 2008 (Recent Windows 7 Upgrade)
1 x Clone Desktop Q6600 Circa 2008 (Still on Vista Home Premium)

Both still more than capable machines at running all i want them to.
I bought a £30 Fan for some hand me downs. Working perfectly and I bought a 32GB touchpad as much as I love pc's no way I would spend any heavy amount of money on a rig these days. Think I may of bought an I-core Laptop as well this year, but that was only £150 if I remember rightly.
jah128

Thats some busy year you had there guv. Completely the opposite for me, … Thats some busy year you had there guv. Completely the opposite for me, aside a 32GB touchpad absolutely nothing - that said, the machines I have which are 2/3/4/5 years old are still all quite usable - things just don't seem to advance so quickly these days.

cdm22

Wow! Someone has too much money....well, not so much now! :DMy main … Wow! Someone has too much money....well, not so much now! :DMy main computer is a good 7 years old and fine, laptop I got this year was a competition win and wouldn't have got otherwise, and phone was an upgrade so free!

To be fair, with the exception of the 3 main PCs, all were bought at bargain prices..... And whilst I cant say they were needed..... they are probably the only bits of kit in the list I can really say were justified.

The HP microservers for instance - after cashback and VAT returns (you gotta love VAT free buys!) were a mere £85 each! That said..... its just replacing a prefectly good server - and one still unused!
numptyj

it depends on your definition of year.If it's this time last year … it depends on your definition of year.If it's this time last year 12/12/10 through to 12/12/11 or, 1/1/11 through to today, or maybe you were referencing to the financial year?on my count it would be about tree fiddy

Hey.. go for whatever (ie include stuff your gonna buy this year or got for xmas last year!) No specific time frame...... Just an eye opener maybe! It was for me anyway!
New graphics card with HDMI, so I can connect my PC to my TV. £40
got a Q6600, 4GB RAM and a 750w Thermaltake PSU for £40, so swapped those bits into my Core 2 Duo computer.

that's it! If it ain't broke.. and all that!
I jumped on the bandwagon and got myself an iPhone 4S:3. Also a Acer 5553G earlier this year!
guv

Hey.. go for whatever (ie include stuff your gonna buy this year or got … Hey.. go for whatever (ie include stuff your gonna buy this year or got for xmas last year!) No specific time frame...... Just an eye opener maybe! It was for me anyway!

well I dont splash the cash as much as you guv so its only a measley 2 purchases this year

ipad 2 for myself and sony laptop for my dad.
I bought a ASUS Transformer and work paid for my new Toshiba Tecra M11.

Nothing else though, my PC could do with replacing but very rarly on it now, with my tablet, smartphone, laptop and PS3 all online.
None, cos I'm a tight wad
No PCs purchased this year or even a superior Mac.
tinkerbell28

3 tablets.3 pcs about to build a 4th. OMG why would you make me look back … 3 tablets.3 pcs about to build a 4th. OMG why would you make me look back at this spend GUV.

'cos i just did it and thought exactly the same! X)

Jeez.... I even just thought of another device - satellite receiver with 300MHz processor - but with web browsing on it! oO
HP Microserver to act as a file server,
HTC Desire HD to replace my old BB9700,
Samsung Galaxy S2 to replace the DHD, part of the first o2 batch,
Samsung Galaxy S2 (got 2 one off o2 one sim free, but sold the sim free),
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1,
Kindle earlier in the year,
Dell 23" IPS Screen.

PC needs an upgrade but that can wait!
Macbook Pro 15"
Mini Mac which sits in the front room connected to Samsung UE46D6510 (Sarts TV so counts also)
Ipad and Ipad 2
IPhone 4S

and some **** dell laptop I've only used twice.
Macbook Pro in February (To replace a dell xps workstation as I needed portability)
Kindle 4 (For me, Replace kindle 3 keyboard as prefer smaller form factor)
Kindle 4 (For my girlfriend)
Archos 7 (Terrible device, got for £50 with Carphone warehouse £25 voucher, sold for £100 on amazon)
Samsung NC10 Netbook (To replace an Acer Aspire as it's smaller and lighter)
Acer Aspire - Got it working dead HD. Repurposed as hackintosh, upgraded RAM, 500GB HD, keyboard and case
iPad 1 16GB (Got from here last Dec and sold in Feb ready for iPad 2)
iPad 2 16GB (Bought for family member, they didnt like so sold it)
iPhone 4 (Upgraded from 3gs)
PS3 Slim 250GB (upgraded from a launch fatty, sold in August and went to 360)

All in all I'm equal in terms this year on gadgets as the last 8 weeks has enabled me to make double on "old" - between 2 months to 18 months old 2.5" hard drives due to the Thailand Floods.

Edit:
I've not included my iMac G3 mod I'm currently half way through. Basically re-using the shell only, new internals and screen, using it as a "unique" hi-fi/media station.
Edited by: "Smeaton1724" 12th Dec 2011
Kind of shocking when you stop to think about these things.....
Crappy Acer Revo desktop (for the wife)
MSI wind netbook (sold when I bought the HP2133)
Hp2133 netbook (my third one, great for portability and love them to bits but shame about the processor and battery life sold later when I got TP)
Elonnex 621eb ereader (which met with an accidental death at my sons football training)
HP Touchpad
Sony PRS-T1 ereader

Edited by: "gari189" 12th Dec 2011
1x Samsung 13.3" laptop
1x Acer Revo (for XBMC)

Decided to give the HP microserver a miss - That was a mistake :'( All in all I think I've done well Server will be my next PC purchase for a while, possibly another Revo at some point.
It's like Gadget Addiction Anonymous in here!
Custom build.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3.
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz.
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 1333Mhz.
GFX: EVGA 1GB 550ti + 9500GT.
PSU: Corsair TX850.
HDD: 2TB Western Digital 7200rpm.
Case: xClio Godspeed Advanced Two.
Screen: ViewSonic 23" Full HD 1080p.
Headphones: Astro A40 Wireless System.

Along with a bunch of additional fans/lights etc. Picture here.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss246/MiiCK90/mypc.jpg
That is some crazy ar*e spending you've done OP! X) lol
My PC is 7 years old and still fine. Could get something 500% more energy efficient, saving £35 per year which would be slightly faster too.
MiiCK

Custom build.Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3.CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ … Custom build.Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3.CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz.RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 1333Mhz.GFX: EVGA 1GB 550ti + 9500GT.PSU: Corsair TX850.HDD: 2TB Western Digital 7200rpm.Case: xClio Godspeed Advanced Two.Screen: ViewSonic 23" Full HD 1080p.Headphones: Astro A40 Wireless System.OS: Windows 7 HP 64bit.Along with a bunch of additional fans/lights etc. Picture here.

That screen new? You still got the cardboard thing on the top right!
I tend to build a beast of a machine on much less regular intervals.. seems cheaper overall.

This time it was an i7 with a GF580 - built last year.

Also bought a DELL XPS502 in the DELL outlet for a really good price. Runs surprisingly well, can even play games like BFBC2 @ 30fps.

Also have a media server but I never rebuild it, just dump more HDD's in.. it has 8 at the mo
upgraded to iphone 4
Got a kindle
OH got an acer laptop
Not much really. I think I deserve to splash out and get an ipad for Xmas. Trouble is we will all fight over it.
oldmanhouse

That screen new? You still got the cardboard thing on the top right!

Yep brand spanker lol! Was built a few months ago so i've removed it now
A crappy vista pc & two laptops. No tablets in this house apart from paracetamol X)
MinstrelMan

Macbook Pro 15"Mini Mac which sits in the front room connected to Samsung … Macbook Pro 15"Mini Mac which sits in the front room connected to Samsung UE46D6510 (Sarts TV so counts also)Ipad and Ipad 2IPhone 4Sand some **** dell laptop I've only used twice.

so do you have any preference of brand when buying any tech? (_;)

http://appleblogz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Apple-Fanboy.png
Syzable

I do all my work on this

FAR too technical for me - I use a slide rule (with the cursor bar missing)

Syzable

I do all my work on this

Have you tried the accelerometer on these? Heard they automate maths functions quite well after a couple pints...
bought 3 IBM blue gene p because they were cheap and i needed something a little better than the i7

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg/300px-IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg

where do i start
1 galaxy nexus sold
1 ip4 sold
1 ipad 1 sold
1 ipad 2 sold
1 samsung galaxy tab 10.1 sold
1 hp touchpad 32gb sold
1 samsung galaxy s2 sold
another ip4 sold
1 ip4s keeping
1 bb bold sold
1 macbook pro
1 macbook air 2011 13 inch
1 hp netbook
1 sony vaio sold
1 acer r3700 sold

the porter

where do i start1 galaxy nexus sold1 ip4 sold1 ipad 1 sold1 ipad 2 sold 1 … where do i start1 galaxy nexus sold1 ip4 sold1 ipad 1 sold1 ipad 2 sold 1 samsung galaxy tab 10.1 sold1 hp touchpad 32gb sold1 samsung galaxy s2 soldanother ip4 sold 1 ip4s keeping 1 bb bold sold 1 macbook pro 1 macbook air 2011 13 inch 1 hp netbook 1 sony vaio sold1 acer r3700 sold

If it was a thread of sales... you'd win handsdown! I dont think Ive ever come across someone who buys and sells a week or so later as you!

So what was wrong with the Nexus?

inb4 transit adds yet more tag abuse....... Oh wait!
Feb-new macbook air to replace 3yr old macbook pro
May-ipad 2 3g
Oct-HP Touchthing which I never opened and sold to some bloke in london
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants