So I Can't Rip My CD?

Found 17th Jul 2015
So I bought Quadrophenia by The Who on vinyl back in the day.
I bought Quadrophenia by The Who on cassette so I could play it in the car.
I 'upgraded' Quadrophenia by The Who to CD for a better sound quality.

I read today that it is ILLEGAL for me to rip my CD so that I can put it on a USB stick for the car.

Any advice or comments?
Community Updates
AskCD
19 Comments
Where did you read it?
In the UK you are allowed to make backups as long as you own the original & dont share it.
No court will do anything about you transfering music between devices!!!

Under the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, it is not in fact … Under the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, it is not in fact legal to transform a piece of copyrighted content from one storage form to another - so turning a CD, which is encoded in one method, into a file formatted as MP3 or Windows Media Audio or AAC and storing it on a computer hard drive or digital music player is, strictly, against the law.Record labels have known about this for years - but have turned a blind eye, because prosecuting everyone who bought a music player or transferred files to their phone would be both ruinously expensive and terrible publicity.

It's also illegal to copy a cassette, or to record LP to cassette, but unless you start flogging copies...
Pretty sure its also technically illegal to keep a VCR recording of a film from TV ... you're only allowed to time shift.

At one time, they did try to make a case against dual cassette systems.
This law is so enforceable. I've also heard of the 30 day video tape ruling, we need to enforce this law as well....
Idiots need taking outside and hosing down by Boris Johnson with his water cannon, grabbing music industry
I bought it, I do what I want with it. If they want to stop this then they have to design a new technology and not their 35 year old CD format bunch of lazy audio clipping morons.

So what does this mean for amazon autorip ?
My advice would be don't use "So" to start a sentence. It isn't needed.
And the other would be to just rip it and stop worrying about it.
Just because one old bloke in a stupid wig thinks you shouldn't rip it, when previously a different old bloke in a wig said you could. Flip that.

It's irrelevant. Lots of things are illegal, but unless your actions are causing somebody bother, the police won't trouble you. Nobody's going to investigate you and bring criminal charges because they've found some MP3s on a memory stick.
dxx

It's irrelevant. Lots of things are illegal, but unless your actions are … It's irrelevant. Lots of things are illegal, but unless your actions are causing somebody bother, the police won't trouble you. Nobody's going to investigate you and bring criminal charges because they've found some MP3s on a memory stick.

Not so sure about police spot checks. Will have to research this as I've a stick in mine at the moment.
kester76

Not so sure about police spot checks. Will have to research this as I've … Not so sure about police spot checks. Will have to research this as I've a stick in mine at the moment.

The police have never, and will never, do spot checks to make sure that people aren't carrying MP3s. Their time is short, and precious. They aren't going to waste it on something as inane as personal copying.
dxx

The police have never, and will never, do spot checks to make sure that … The police have never, and will never, do spot checks to make sure that people aren't carrying MP3s. Their time is short, and precious. They aren't going to waste it on something as inane as personal copying.

I got stopped outside my house once handing my friend a load of cd's through his car window. Officer was real mad they weren't copies. Didn't help that when I asked him why I had been stopped and he gave a lame excuse we matched the descriptions of some suspects. No apology though.
Only takes one over zealous copper.
dxx

The police have never, and will never, do spot checks to make sure that … The police have never, and will never, do spot checks to make sure that people aren't carrying MP3s. Their time is short, and precious. They aren't going to waste it on something as inane as personal copying.

They are too busy looking for beach towels.

Police are appealing for witnesses following the theft of a towel from a North Tyneside beach.

It happened on Sunday, July 12 from 4pm to 5pm at Tynemouth Longsands beach. A dark blue towel with 'DRYROBE' written on the front in red and white was stolen.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101, extension 69191, quoting reference number 43728L/15 or ring the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
I'm sure I break laws daily, hourly even without even knowing I'm doing so, there any so many bogus laws that aren't policed. I'm a rebel though, I walk on the grass when it says not to. Thug life. I feel if you own the product you should be allowed to make back up copies providing they are for personal use only.
kester76

I got stopped outside my house once handing my friend a load of cd's … I got stopped outside my house once handing my friend a load of cd's through his car window. Officer was real mad they weren't copies. Didn't help that when I asked him why I had been stopped and he gave a lame excuse we matched the descriptions of some suspects. No apology though.Only takes one over zealous copper.

Dealing pirate material from a car, which is what the officer presumably thought was happening, and having some for personal use are different things. I challenge you to find news of a single conviction of someone for having a few tracks for their personal use.

If the powers that be were that interested, do you not think they'd be stopping and searching people for ipods, rather than knives?
dxx

Dealing pirate material from a car, which is what the officer presumably … Dealing pirate material from a car, which is what the officer presumably thought was happening, and having some for personal use are different things. I challenge you to find news of a single conviction of someone for having a few tracks for their personal use. If the powers that be were that interested, do you not think they'd be stopping and searching people for ipods, rather than knives?

I agree on both counts but disagree with underlying concept.
You can rip it.
It might be illegal, but if the overzealous groups that brought this challenge try to take legal action against the few (as they'd like us to believe) customers they have left for having to constantly fork out for products they already own, the backlash will be so huge, that kickstarter campaigns will cover your legal fees, fines and a nice little pot left over which you'll be morally obliged to hand over to a struggling musicians' charity. That said, you'd get enough from an interview with Wired to legitimately buy the Rolling Stones mp3 collection from Google Play which features all their albums, unreleased b-side, unrecorded remixes and a rare studio session from the 80s for just 99p, and this should last you 7 years until a new format is released and they expect you to run off and re-purchase.

I lost all sympathy for the industries when I attempted to build a DVD collection at outrageous prices, or tried so hard to resist the transition from vinyl but was obliged to in the dark days of last decade when records had lost their shine and hipsters were still sporting bum-fluff.
The genuine consumer gets ripped off constantly by the film and music industry, so I take back control and fund the artists I love in another way (e.g. I haven't bought anything by my new favourite band, but went to see them twice within a month of discovering them, spending many times what they would've ever got from digital downloads of their albums).
Jumpingphil

But your sentence didn't make sense.

I don't think you're supposed to start a sentence with "but". Oh wait
A cat doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't stop it from meowing oO
Jumpingphil

But your sentence didn't make sense.

And it never will
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions