Groups

So, I just messed up an interview

My own fault really, wasn't prepared enough - If I had been, it would have gone a lot better and I'd have been able to answer the technical questions ugh... On the plus side, it was my first graduate job interview and has opened my eyes to put more effort in.

If they make me an offer, I'll be shocked, as I expect the second I left they had a huge sigh of relief and thought "no chance".

Still sucks though. Anyone else had any interviews lately? How'd it go?

13 Comments

i went to a waitrose group interview today it went will i think sry to hear your interview went badly but its all god experience

Future tip for interviews

If you haven't done one for a bit, apply for a couple of jobs you are not really interested in but are suitable for. That way, you can have a couple of practice runs to get your act together again. It's what I have always done as it is so disappointing to sc**w the interview for that job you REALLY wanted.

On the plus side, they might take your nervousness into consideration :-)

Dave

You've got a good attitude mate, it takes time to develop a good interview techique. Even with good research, it's an incredibley hard process especially if it's for a good job.

Goodluck with the next one mate :).

I remember one interview i had..

- Initial Phone interview
    - Face to face interview at HQ
    - Second phone interview with Head of QA for the U.K
    - Second face to face interview
    - Third phone interview with Head of Global QA operations

By the time i had gotten to the third phone interview, i'd found a different job and was to bored with talking to them i turned down their offer.. Sometimes companies take them to far.. For the job i was going for, no way on earth i needed to talk to the Head of QA globally.

Just remember, as my experience above shows.. Just keep ya calm, as imo some companies don't even have a clue about conducting a good interview process.

Job i have now was initial interview, then 2nd interview.. And was offered job at my 2nd interview, perfect. Why they all can't do that is beyond me.

I hope they do make an offer - if not I hope some really great opportunities come your way :thumbsup:

My first graduate interview was as a production manager for a largish furniture factory; they obviously liked me as it took another two interviews for them to realise there wasn't a snowflakes chance of me running their factory having experience whatsoever. But it was good interview experience :giggle:

dont worry go to there rivals, burger king brah

black gerbil1;8413296

or macido's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Hl5bQduRAMc/SagwokxsddI/AAAAAAAAENg/rJ6Y6Sycj6o/s400/mcdonald%27s+worker.jpg

Where was the role?

What question did you screw up on?

ive been working for nearly over a year now at the same company and im now looking for a graduate job myself around the chester/north west region, any IT based roles around then give me a shout ;-)

just put it down to experience mate don't let it get you down focus on the next one and make sure you prepare the best you can

Banned

im sure you did ok. they will take into account lots of things not just that you couldnt answer afew questions, you sound like you have a good attitude. dont rule out them not offering you the job yet but look elsewhere to

Original Poster

crse2008;8413237

i went to a waitrose group interview today it went will i think sry to … i went to a waitrose group interview today it went will i think sry to hear your interview went badly but its all god experience

Glad yours went well, hopefully you get the job! Correct, it's great experience, I'm feeling like crap at the moment and disappointed at myself, but it'll encourage me to do better next time!

Wirral_guy;8413253

Future tip for interviewsIf you haven't done one for a bit, apply for a … Future tip for interviewsIf you haven't done one for a bit, apply for a couple of jobs you are not really interested in but are suitable for. That way, you can have a couple of practice runs to get your act together again. It's what I have always done as it is so disappointing to sc**w the interview for that job you REALLY wanted.On the plus side, they might take your nervousness into consideration :-)Dave

Lol yeah, although at the moment I can't be too choosey - This wasn't one I was really after but would have happily taken it - I more than meet the criteria and could do it no problem, but still screwed it up. Poor preparation unfortunately

spritey;8413276

You've got a good attitude mate, it takes time to develop a good … You've got a good attitude mate, it takes time to develop a good interview techique. Even with good research, it's an incredibley hard process especially if it's for a good job.Goodluck with the next one mate :).I remember one interview i had..- Initial Phone interview- Face to face interview at HQ- Second phone interview with Head of QA for the U.K- Second face to face interview- Third phone interview with Head of Global QA operationsBy the time i had gotten to the third phone interview, i'd found a different job and was to bored with talking to them i turned down their offer.. Sometimes companies take them to far.. For the job i was going for, no way on earth i needed to talk to the Head of QA globally.Just remember, as my experience above shows.. Just keep ya calm, as imo some companies don't even have a clue about conducting a good interview process.Job i have now was initial interview, then 2nd interview.. And was offered job at my 2nd interview, perfect. Why they all can't do that is beyond me.

Lol nuts. This should have been a pretty good interview actually, but I couldn't remember simple SQL (I haven't had to do any since January, and of course I'm rusty grr, and forgot to look over my stuff - Idiot). I also don't think I researched the company well enough either to even tell them what their products and services were (I actually knew but didn't realise to point out the obvious lmao - interview tips 101).

The job I would really like has a long drawn out process, although the first one I applied for, I fell at the first hurdle (failed a really tricky maths test -.- that would have no relevance to the job).

Bah. I'll get the next one!

wombat6025;8413282

I hope they do make an offer - if not I hope some really great … I hope they do make an offer - if not I hope some really great opportunities come your way :thumbsup: My first graduate interview was as a production manager for a largish furniture factory; they obviously liked me as it took another two interviews for them to realise there wasn't a snowflakes chance of me running their factory having experience whatsoever. But it was good interview experience :giggle:

Thanks! If they do make an offer, I will laugh out loud.

Lol, fair play. Although I could do this job easily (a little training needed of course, but after that - No sweat).

black gerbil1;8413296

Good call.

chester123;8413349

Where was the role?

For the sake of arguement (and for the fun of annonymity) I won't say But it was for a software developer role in Belfast for an energy company/provider.

Spriggan;8413386

What question did you screw up on?

Most of the interview didn't go great, but the worst was the technical questions, on simple SQL - I should have (and technically do) know how to do it, but because it's been a while since I used it, I've totally forgotten it and so messed up. Bah. 3 months ago I'd have banged out the answer in a heartbeat.

Original Poster

dre1988;8413424

ive been working for nearly over a year now at the same company and im … ive been working for nearly over a year now at the same company and im now looking for a graduate job myself around the chester/north west region, any IT based roles around then give me a shout ;-)

DIfferent part of the UK, but keep looking and good luck!

shedboy66;8413476

just put it down to experience mate don't let it get you down focus on … just put it down to experience mate don't let it get you down focus on the next one and make sure you prepare the best you can

Absolutely. The best thing to come from today was to realise how much I need to prepare for next time.

daz1981;8413484

im sure you did ok. they will take into account lots of things not just … im sure you did ok. they will take into account lots of things not just that you couldnt answer afew questions, you sound like you have a good attitude. dont rule out them not offering you the job yet but look elsewhere to

When I went in I got the impression that they loved me on paper, but then I failed to deliver in person. However, the questions I failed were probably very, very core and simple questions that the successful applicant should be able to rhyme off with their eyes closed lmao.

It happens.

Thanks all for the comments and support! Much appreciated! I'll knock 'em dead next time!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4492109
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?35194
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846346
      4. What is there free to do in your town?2443

See more discussions