So I put my phone in the washing machine, in the pocket of my coat by mistake........!

16 replies
Found 16th Apr 2010
Hi
Yep I think everyone's heard this at least once. I put my coat in the washing machine to wash, Deep pockets but they were open and it had my Samsung Soul phone inside. Found out when I was hanging out to dry.......Worst Luck. Can't really afford a new phone at the mo either. The phone's completely dry, the battery etc. Faint water mark in the touch pad part. but seems to be fading. Problem is it won't switch on, it's not insured as I've had it for ages now. What are my options here?

Thanks rep to all

16 Comments

do you hav an airing cupbaord where u boiler is as my sis did this a while back leave in a small room which gets warm then evetually the water should evaporate from the phone

Banned

throw it in the bin and save for a new phone i'm afraid

My wife has done this before with my phone! I was insured but I was told to wrap it in a paper towel and put it on a radiator (possibly in the sun on a window ledge in this weather or in the airing cupboard) and let it fully dry out before trying to switch it on...Hope this helps!

Original Poster

fragaliciousbob;8383660

throw it in the bin and save for a new phone i'm afraid



Thought this might be the case, but just want to try almost everything, before I give up. Thanks anyway

Original Poster

ei8hty5ive;8383665

My wife has done this before with my phone! I was insured but I was told … My wife has done this before with my phone! I was insured but I was told to wrap it in a paper towel and put it on a radiator (possibly in the sun on a window ledge in this weather or in the airing cupboard) and let it fully dry out before trying to switch it on...Hope this helps!



It's fully dry, from the outside and the battery and sim, totally not a tecchy type of person, and thing still sounds dumb, but could it still be wet inside? Will try your suggestion. Fingers crossed x :thumbsup:

Original Poster

rocko5000;8383655

do you hav an airing cupbaord where u boiler is as my sis did this a … do you hav an airing cupbaord where u boiler is as my sis did this a while back leave in a small room which gets warm then evetually the water should evaporate from the phone



Did her phone seem dry from the outside, and the battery etc?

rocko5000;8383655

do you hav an airing cupbaord where u boiler is as my sis did this a … do you hav an airing cupbaord where u boiler is as my sis did this a while back leave in a small room which gets warm then evetually the water should evaporate from the phone



ei8hty5ive;8383665

My wife has done this before with my phone! I was insured but I was told … My wife has done this before with my phone! I was insured but I was told to wrap it in a paper towel and put it on a radiator (possibly in the sun on a window ledge in this weather or in the airing cupboard) and let it fully dry out before trying to switch it on...Hope this helps!



^^^^these, unfortunately if you attempted to turn it on whilst it was still damp inside ti may have caused a short....i did this once ,i heard it fry:thinking:

rihanna08;8383683

It's fully dry, from the outside and the battery and sim, totally not a … It's fully dry, from the outside and the battery and sim, totally not a tecchy type of person, and thing still sounds dumb, but could it still be wet inside? Will try your suggestion. Fingers crossed x :thumbsup:



yes there would be water on the circuit board inside the phone since it was in washing machine so u need to evaporate the water from the board so it will turn on

rihanna08;8383683

It's fully dry, from the outside and the battery and sim, totally not a … It's fully dry, from the outside and the battery and sim, totally not a tecchy type of person, and thing still sounds dumb, but could it still be wet inside? Will try your suggestion. Fingers crossed x :thumbsup:



Yeah, it could seem dry from the outside but water residue could still be in the phone...Good Luck!

Original Poster

pistol6000;8383695

^^^^these, unfortunately if you attempted to turn it on whilst it was … ^^^^these, unfortunately if you attempted to turn it on whilst it was still damp inside ti may have caused a short....i did this once ,i heard it fry:thinking:



heard no frying noise tho? The touch panel I thought was dry, cause the evaporation in it had gone but some more seems to have appeared now, Think it's wet inside or something?

Original Poster

rocko5000;8383700

yes there would be water on the circuit board inside the phone since it … yes there would be water on the circuit board inside the phone since it was in washing machine so u need to evaporate the water from the board so it will turn on



Thanks x. Will try this.

Original Poster

ei8hty5ive;8383703

Yeah, it could seem dry from the outside but water residue could still be … Yeah, it could seem dry from the outside but water residue could still be in the phone...Good Luck!



Thanks Repped x

rihanna08;8383704

heard no frying noise tho? The touch panel I thought was dry, cause the … heard no frying noise tho? The touch panel I thought was dry, cause the evaporation in it had gone but some more seems to have appeared now, Think it's wet inside or something?



yes it weill be wet inside as most mobiles aren't designed to withstand being left in water so it will be wet inside. So tryin put it in an airing cupboard or like ei8hty5ive suggested and put it in a hand towel and place on a radiotor but don't leave it on 4 2 long as too much heat can damage the board

:thumbsup:while its in the airing cupboard, If you can, pop the case to allow it to fully dry out

Take the battery and sim out leave cover off get a hairdrier on cool setting if it has one and try and dry it off leave it for another couple of days then charge battery and try your luck. I sorted my sons psp this way

Don't attempt to power it up at all as good chance of causing a short,take it apart as much as possible (battery out etc) and leave covered in bowl of uncooked rice to try draw out the dampness,

No guarantees,but it's best you can do,it might work
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Travelling from London Stadium after an event11
    2. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold44
    3. School shoes - with lights66
    4. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…79

    See more discussions