Groups

So is the 3 network really a lot faster to browse than the O2 network?

Just requested a PAC code from Three because I'm planning on taking a Simplicity contract with O2. In attempting to keep me the CS agent told me - among other things - that there is a big difference in web speed between the two networks.

I know the 3G network is faster, but in real terms is the speed noticeably different for browsing on a phone?

24 Comments

Original Poster

the porter;5233392

yes it deffinately is if u surf on your mobile 3g is a must well on my … yes it deffinately is if u surf on your mobile 3g is a must well on my iphone it is

so which network is your iphone on? can i get one to work with a 3 sim?

Original Poster

the porter;5233427

im on o2 i had a bad experience with 3 a few years ago never never again

so you find the web access poor with O2?

Banned

You've got me confused liddle...
    3.5G is faster than 3G and is supported on the ]O2 Network but you need 3G coverage (in built up areas) to get the fast speeds.
    or you trying to compare ]3 the network?

Original Poster

lumoruk;5233452

You've got me confused liddle...3.5G is faster than 3G and is supported … You've got me confused liddle...3.5G is faster than 3G and is supported on the O2 Networkor you trying to compare 3 the network?

Don't mean to confuse anyone - I'm ignorant about what O2 offer, that's why I'm asking. The Three person said O2 only offer a 2G network... :?

Liddle ol' me;5233470

Don't mean to confuse anyone - I'm ignorant about what O2 offer, that's … Don't mean to confuse anyone - I'm ignorant about what O2 offer, that's why I'm asking. The Three person said O2 only offer a 2G network... :?

That's wrong

Original Poster

So as long as I have a compatible phone, a simplicity SIM will give me as fast or faster web access than with a 3 sim? (theoretically)

Banned

Liddle ol' me;5233488

So as long as I have a compatible phone, a simplicity SIM will give me as … So as long as I have a compatible phone, a simplicity SIM will give me as fast or faster web access than with a 3 sim? (theoretically)

Who ever has the better coverage in the areas you visit, if you have a strong 3G O2 antenna in your area it will be as fast as a strong 3G 3 antenna

Banned

the porter;5233500

3 is 3g mate your confusing me now :oops:

3 is the company
    3G is 3rd generation network technology

Well have a look here for network coverage where you normally use it. UMTS are the 3G network masts.

]http//ww…uk/

Banned

lumoruk;5233502

Who ever has the better coverage in the areas you visit, if you have a … Who ever has the better coverage in the areas you visit, if you have a strong 3G O2 antenna in your area it will be as fast as a strong 3G 3 antenna

Not quite. 3 Network is faster than O2.

O2 runs at 1.8Mb, whereas 3 is 2.8Mb. (That said, my 3 modem connects at 3.6Mb - or so it says!)

Banned

the porter;5233535

3 is 3g mate your confusing me now

no you don't :?

Banned

the porter;5233560

i thought voda was 7.2 mbps

Only in Airports and other prime locations. In practice, what I've seen, Voda has been worse than T-Mobile, 3 and O2. In fact I saw a demo being done in thurrock, where the Voda salesman in PC world was rubbishing T-Mobile. After he said that, we run speed tests. T-Mobile was about 30% faster. But like everything... it all depends on the location of the mast.

BTW - I think you were referning to the line speed - which is 7.2Mb - not as youve shown!

Original Poster

the porter;5233565

now your confusing me :?

That's good. I'm not confused any longer. What guv says is what I was told by the 3 CS agent.

Original Poster

the porter;5233632

good im glad ure sorted whoosh that was like a ride on the big 1 a bit … good im glad ure sorted whoosh that was like a ride on the big 1 a bit mad but im glad its over :thumbsup:

But I have a new question now... :?

:w00t:

I recently switched from 3 to an iphone on o2 and it seems much quicker than internet on my 3 phone.

That maybe because the signal is far stronger on o2?

Liddle ol' me;5233646

But I have a new question now... :?:w00t:

Fire away then:)

I have at mobile pay as u go dongle at 3.6Mb and runs ok.
    I also have a contract O2 dongle which did run fast as hell till last update.
    Had to send it in for repair last week as the speed dropped and woudn't install itself on new netbook.

But as others have said it all depends where you are that's within 20 foot sometimes

Original Poster

jtx;5233718

I recently switched from 3 to an iphone on o2 and it seems much quicker … I recently switched from 3 to an iphone on o2 and it seems much quicker than internet on my 3 phone.That maybe because the signal is far stronger on o2?

Yes, the answer seems to be that theoretically the 3 network is faster but it depends on the location and other factors, none of which confuse me and none of which are worth worrying about.

I like your location btw :thumbsup:

Banned

jtx;5233718

I recently switched from 3 to an iphone on o2 and it seems much quicker … I recently switched from 3 to an iphone on o2 and it seems much quicker than internet on my 3 phone.That maybe because the signal is far stronger on o2?

Where I work, 3 is better than O2 - and it will be a prime location for all operators. As you said - its all down to your current position. Move about and what was best could become worse. The downside for O2 (imho) is their 3G network is not as comprehensive as 3 is (who share with t-Mobile - so you get the best of 2 network operators in theory.)

the porter;5233794

lol so why ruddy ask then ;-)

Probably thought 3 were telling porkies until guv confirmed it:w00t:

o2's 3g and HSDPA network is awful imo, i switched from 3 to them last year and after a week or so I ditched o2 and went straight back to 3 because the abillity to use the internet was awful. I travel a lot with work and it was the same in the vast majory of places I went to.

Three's coverage for internet use is much better in my opinion

Banned

jase.2;5233947

o2's 3g and HSDPA network is awful imo, i switched from 3 to them last … o2's 3g and HSDPA network is awful imo, i switched from 3 to them last year and after a week or so I ditched o2 and went straight back to 3 because the abillity to use the internet was awful. I travel a lot with work and it was the same in the vast majory of places I went to.Three's coverage for internet use is much better in my opinion

+1

I use Bt Mobile (voda virtual) and I can connect at 7.2 Mbps in most places throughout newcastle, I just got one of em free 3 things just for personal use, I connect at 3.6 with that.

i use my xda ignito on o2 - it's fine for t'internet but better in town centres than countryside
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …281978
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp12
      3. What is there free to do in your town?37
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635

See more discussions