So it turns out Doom VFR has smooth locomotion as an option!

Found 29th Nov 2017

Control options mentioned at 0:38.
Maybe I missed it but I don't think smooth locomotion was even mentioned before release. So glad I didn't cancel the pre-order now :).

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments

So the aim rumours are true too

Can't wait for this

The rumour I heard is that the type of locomotion depends on the platform. Though hopefully that's changed, oh it has if it's shift and teleport yay.

Edit; can't believe all 3 of the Bethesda games are coming out in such a short period.
Edited by: "catbeans" 29th Nov 2017

Original Poster

catbeans7 m ago

The rumour I heard is that the type of locomotion depends on the platform. …The rumour I heard is that the type of locomotion depends on the platform. Though hopefully that's changed, oh it has if it's shift and teleport yay.

They'd be mad not to provide the option. I wonder if it was a recent addition to the PS VR version..

Original Poster

MSK.19 m ago

So the aim rumours are true too

I'm kicking myself now for not getting the Farpoint bundle when it was £40.

catbeans31 m ago

The rumour I heard is that the type of locomotion depends on the platform. …The rumour I heard is that the type of locomotion depends on the platform. Though hopefully that's changed, oh it has if it's shift and teleport yay.Edit; can't believe all 3 of the Bethesda games are coming out in such a short period.

Which platform was supposed to be gimped?

copperspock22 m ago

I'm kicking myself now for not getting the Farpoint bundle when it was £40.

That's brutal. At least the standard price seemed to be hanging around £20 lower than when it came out. Move could be pretty good too though, definitely less tiring to play with. For me at least.

copperspock27 m ago

They'd be mad not to provide the option. I wonder if it was a recent …They'd be mad not to provide the option. I wonder if it was a recent addition to the PS VR version..

Bethesda seemed to have implemented the additional movement options quite late with both this & Skyrim. There are a number of videos about Skyrim just a few months back and the general consensus by the media was that it sucked because it used teleportation. Upon release though it has both and a number of options to tweak various things.

MSK.5 m ago

Which platform was supposed to be gimped?That's brutal. At least the …Which platform was supposed to be gimped?That's brutal. At least the standard price seemed to be hanging around £20 lower than when it came out. Move could be pretty good too though, definitely less tiring to play with. For me at least.

I could just about retain some dignity with the Move controllers, however all would be lost with a plastic gun.

MSK.24 m ago

Which platform was supposed to be gimped?That's brutal. At least the …Which platform was supposed to be gimped?That's brutal. At least the standard price seemed to be hanging around £20 lower than when it came out. Move could be pretty good too though, definitely less tiring to play with. For me at least.

I don't know it was just something a few people who had played it were hinting it at and I even watched a video today that mentioned it.

Looks like even a few days ago journalists were still under the impression that it would be teleportation.

m.vrheads.com/eve…vfr

Andy@XCite41 m ago

I could just about retain some dignity with the Move controllers, however …I could just about retain some dignity with the Move controllers, however all would be lost with a plastic gun.

Yeah, it's even worse with how close you have to hold it to your chest to look down the sight. Though I think it would be perfectly suited to Rappy!

They keep saying the ergonomics are perfect, but there's quite a lot I'd change. Starting with the back stick.

catbeans23 m ago

I don't know it was just something a few people who had played it were …I don't know it was just something a few people who had played it were hinting it at and I even watched a video today that mentioned it. Looks like even a few days ago journalists were still under the impression that it would be teleportation.https://m.vrheads.com/everything-you-need-know-about-doom-vfr

I wonder if they played a demo. Demo's seem to be problematic because they are usually early builds of games and not updated. If they didn't play a demo, then, well I guess they don't know anymore than anyone else that's watched videos.

Original Poster

Andy@XCite5 h, 37 m ago

I could just about retain some dignity with the Move controllers, however …I could just about retain some dignity with the Move controllers, however all would be lost with a plastic gun.

With the PS VR and two sticks that look futuristic sex toys :)? I'm gonna relinquish all thoughts of dignity when I finally give it a go.
Edited by: "copperspock" 30th Nov 2017

Original Poster

Eurogamer just did a live stream with the Aim controller and free movement - it looks class! (an example of franticness is at 55:30) -

geebeegooner14 h, 55 m ago

Can't wait for this

Eeee, me neither

Oh, hang on.. I ain't got VR

Andy@XCite16 h, 29 m ago

Mine would be lost at sitting there with that thing on me head. How would I know people weren't doing this?

32610008-3G7Ax.jpg
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Nov 2017

Original Poster

Andy@XCite12 m ago

[Video]

It sounds like Aim>DS4>Move. I think the feeling of 'holding' the BFG will cancel out the niggle with the left-hand weapon.

Pc version currently sitting on mixed reviews.
Crashing, locking up PC'S and the gun is meant to be at a strange angle.
Amazon have yet to send my pre-order so might just wait and see if it gets fixed.

So it was the Vive version that was gimped with no smooth locomotion? What a plot twist.

MSK.31 m ago

So it was the Vive version that was gimped with no smooth locomotion? …So it was the Vive version that was gimped with no smooth locomotion? What a plot twist.

Don’t get too excited. Just posted this elsewhere but will copy and paste here.

Don’t bother with Doom. Perspective is messed up. Feels like the guns are on your shoulder and you’re always slightly tilting your head down to centralise the crosshairs. Aiming has to be done with the headset on a dualshock too. You can only turn direction and walk with the sticks.

As for the Aim controller, it’s straight up broken. Gutted

Biddy27 m ago

Aiming has to be done with the headset on a dualshock too.

Wat?

All in all that doesn't sound great though. Oh well, it wasn't on my immediate want list anyway. Perhaps they will patch it

MSK.8 m ago

Wat? All in all that doesn't sound great though. Oh well, it wasn't on …Wat? All in all that doesn't sound great though. Oh well, it wasn't on my immediate want list anyway. Perhaps they will patch it

I hope so because I was really looking forward to it. I only paid 99p for it and I’m still disappointed.

The left stick moves you forward, back, left and right (like most shooters) but the right stick will only work on the horizontal axis. It’s just dead for the vertical. Crosshairs aren’t centred to the screen so you’re having to look down slighty or you’ll end up shooting over the demons heads (makes your neck hurt) and I have no idea why the shotgun and pistol are on my shoulder. Tried repostioning the camera, holding options, everything. Nothing fixes it.

Don’t get me started on the aim controller either. Took less than 10 seconds for it to lose tracking and be aiming off to the left. I know Farpoint loses it’s tracking sometimes but a quick flick off screen always recentres it. This though, I just turned it off. Wasn’t worth the hassle.

Oh and this was all after a 14.55GB install from the disc as well as a 11.15GB patch.

Hopefully they'll add locomotion for touch / vive controllers on the Steam version. Don't think I could buy it until then.

Original Poster

Biddy23 h, 15 m ago

I hope so because I was really looking forward to it. I only paid 99p for …I hope so because I was really looking forward to it. I only paid 99p for it and I’m still disappointed. The left stick moves you forward, back, left and right (like most shooters) but the right stick will only work on the horizontal axis. It’s just dead for the vertical. Crosshairs aren’t centred to the screen so you’re having to look down slighty or you’ll end up shooting over the demons heads (makes your neck hurt) and I have no idea why the shotgun and pistol are on my shoulder. Tried repostioning the camera, holding options, everything. Nothing fixes it. Don’t get me started on the aim controller either. Took less than 10 seconds for it to lose tracking and be aiming off to the left. I know Farpoint loses it’s tracking sometimes but a quick flick off screen always recentres it. This though, I just turned it off. Wasn’t worth the hassle. Oh and this was all after a 14.55GB install from the disc as well as a 11.15GB patch.

This makes me suspect even more that the DS/Aim options were last minute additions. Hopefully it'll be possible to fix in a patch.

How did you manage to get it for a quid (shock)?
Post a comment
@
    Text