So I've just ordered a laptop from DELL ..... UPDATE!!

27 replies
Found 23rd Feb 2010
..... are they usually rubbish at delivery? Ordered half an hour ago - estimated delivery 30 MARCH!!!! And they have the cheek to charge £20 for delivery!!!!

I'll be on the phone to Customer Service first thing tomorrow.

27 Comments

its just an estimate, you'll probably have it in a week

Banned

usually for me delivery is about 1 week 1day

i heard their move to poland isnt helping deliveries though
but sometimes they delivery quicker than the date, lets hope so

Original Poster

Well, I hope I do get it before the 5 week estimate!!! For £20 I would expect someone to bring it personally to my door the very next day!!!

I'm actually in shock. FIVE WEEKS!

Two orders I have had have been very early.

your forgetting most dell computers are built to spec on order, they arent a stock item that can just be posted.

Original Poster

Plum;7930829

Two orders I have had have been very early.

But have the initial delivery estimates been for a much longer wait?

Banned

i had this - i told them that my old dell laptop had stopped working and was out warranty so i had no computer at all. a week later, new laptop turns up! :-)

Me and the ex bought one each last year (XPS and Inspiron), the XPS arrived in about 10 days, her Inspiron took nearly 3 weeks!

The time isn't just for delivery, it's for building the machine as well hence why they have a fast track system - laptops available off the shelf are badged as such and available for quicker dispatch. Alternatively all Outlet machines are also ready to go.

In practice I find their delivery estimates are pessimistic although if there's any shortages of parts the laptop needs, it can push it past the estimated delivery date.

John

Original Poster

karenhornby;7930847

your forgetting most dell computers are built to spec on order, they … your forgetting most dell computers are built to spec on order, they arent a stock item that can just be posted.

Yes, I could understand if it was a special order, but I didn't add anything to it, just the standard black with no extras on the spec.

Banned

karenhornby;7930847

your forgetting most dell computers are built to spec on order, they … your forgetting most dell computers are built to spec on order, they arent a stock item that can just be posted.

yes, but the build process usually takes 2 days, as the components are usually in stock
the next few days then are just for delivery either from west-ireland or the new factory in Poland

either way, the usually time estimate is 1 week abouts, it sounds like a major part is out of stock, but even then, how long can that part take to get from probably china?

t0mm;7930786

+1

Original Poster

Thanks all. I hope the estimate is them being pessimistic as I really don't want to wait 5 weeks. I pictured myself playing with my new toy by the weekend - being able to sit in the living room while surfing instead of out here in the chilly hallway!!

Banned

t0mm;7930786

g1bbuk;7930885

+1

+1

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;7930961

sorry to hear of your misfortune

Thanks. (I think)!

I got quoted a 5 week delivery time too. Turned up after 8 weeks!

Original Poster

Spammed;7931171

I got quoted a 5 week delivery time too. Turned up after 8 weeks!

:w00t:

Quick! Fetch the smelling salts!!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/fainting_couch.jpg

It took me ages to find that pic.:w00t:

5 weeks does seem excessive though.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;7931447

think again..misfortune at ordering a dell :w00t:

If that's what you meant, why didn't you just say so. Sarcasm like that is lost on me. :?

chesso;7931421

Quick! Fetch the smelling salts!!It took me ages to find that pic.:w00t:5 … Quick! Fetch the smelling salts!!It took me ages to find that pic.:w00t:5 weeks does seem excessive though.

OMG!! Where did you find that picture of me Chesso - that's exactly the state I'm in at the mo!! Have to make do with sniffing the mustard jar though as we're all out of smelling salts!

So what laptop+spec did you order??!

Banned

good luck with the call centre,youre gonna need it!:thumbsup:

Original Poster

silvertwister;7931598

So what laptop+spec did you order??!

]This one - in black with no extras.

shibi din;7931749

]This one - in black with no extras.

Nice job! Something to look forward to :-D

shibi din;7930854

But have the initial delivery estimates been for a much longer wait?

yep. Both.

A couple weeks back my mother ordered a dell studio laptop and the ETA was 5 weeks for delivery, we were all pretty shocked considering you have to pay £20 for deliverey etc.

Then to all of our surprise it ended up arriving I think about 5 or 6 working days in.

So I wouldn't worry about it you're more than likely to get it way before that ETA date.

Original Poster

Breathing is almost back to normal and mustard is back in the cupboard - as of today it is showing as 'Shipped'! Now I'm getting excited, can't wait for it to arrive!
All those who reassured me - many thanks (it didn't really work, but it doesn't matter now)!

Original Poster

It arrived this morning. Yay, I'm so excited. This is my first ever laptop. :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769668
    2. BrightHouse to pay £14.8 MILLION in compensation to 249,000 customers79
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…59122
    4. Xbox Code Giveaway - fastest finger first57

See more discussions