So today the log cabin gets a new floor laid.........

Found 30th Mar 2012
My world famous summerhouse is getting an upgrade today...... instead of the original 22mm softwood, I'm fitting real wood flooring. This will make it more pleasing on the eye, but also because Ive got plastic trunking all around the cabin, I want to hide this. (It also adds more insulation.)

Sooooo..... With the trunking being 25mm, the flooring needs to be laid so it's above this. (I understand about expansion gaps,) but unsure if the 8' x 4' mdf boards I've bought to raise the floor (along with the fibreboard) needs to be screwed to the exisiting flooring or left floating.

The flooring I recently had laid in the extension was floating - but there actually wasnt anything to screw down onto. But laying bathroom tiles - the base plywood had to be screwed.

So should the mdf be left floating, or screwed down?
Community Updates
MiscCabin Case
113 Comments
Tl:dr

Screwed down
Banned
I'd engage in Tag banter but mods are too out of touch with the misc...
Banned
how thick is the mdf flooring also mdf will not make a real wood floor only a laminated mdf floor
Original Poster Banned
sancho1983

Tl:drScrewed down

Oh my! I was going for the floating look! Thats gonna delay things!

master_chief

I'd engage in Tag banter but mods are too out of touch with the misc...

Tag abuse is naughty. Did you get your bottom smacked?
Banned
It's confusing, the whole tag abuse thing. The mods seem to understand it less than we do.
Banned
nail it .. save on sqeaks and wrist fatigue

Edited by: "dog_cop" 30th Mar 2012
Original Poster Banned
fragaliciousbob

how thick is the mdf flooring also mdf will not make a real wood floor … how thick is the mdf flooring also mdf will not make a real wood floor only a laminated mdf floor

Ive got a 2mm plastic sheet, then 18mm mdf, then 7mm fibreboard, then the tounge and groove bamboo wooden flooring which is about 20mm
Banned
this shed has one hell of a carbon footprint
Banned
It's a whole lot of effort just to store your tools and bicycles in. Don't the council houses come with those built in shed things down there Guv?
Banned
if its not a click system then it needs to be screwed
Original Poster Banned
dog_cop

nail it .. save on sqeaks and wrist fatigue

Ive got a nail gun.... but will that really hold it down (I obviously cant peice the flooring below! I also have a drill with a screw peice..... and my wrists are quite strong anyway!) X)
Banned
you wouldn't nail it down either, the screws need to be in the lower part of the groove
Edited by: "fragaliciousbob" 30th Mar 2012
Original Poster Banned
goldmax

Its not an effings shed.

master_chief

It's a whole lot of effort just to store your tools and bicycles in. … It's a whole lot of effort just to store your tools and bicycles in. Don't the council houses come with those built in shed things down there Guv?

I'm not an expert on what local authorities provide as I dont live in rented accomodation or know anything about council housing, but it sounds like youre a lucky tennant if yours does.

fragaliciousbob

if its not a click system then it needs to be screwed

Its not click..... I was gonna glue it as per the instructions!
Original Poster Banned
mumbojumbo

I think the recommendation is 18mm plywood and screwed down.MDF distorts … I think the recommendation is 18mm plywood and screwed down.MDF distorts when it absorbs water and sin't designed to bear load?

Dunno.... I have a feeling I might have done a boo boo!
Mod & Ed
would you like a hand?
Banned
if you are laying it on the green thick underlay that comes in sheets and not a roll then it will flex a little and could break the glue when it goes off i would screw it down and also make sure you have the recommended expansion gap 8mm i think around the edge
Banned
Guv, Guv, Guv, you can't turn around someone's insult on them, particularly when there's no basis for it. You know I live in a brand new bought house so it just makes you look silly, especially when it's common knowledge your house is ex-council...
Banned
guv

[quote=goldmax]this shed has one hell of a carbon footprint

Its not an effings shed.

ok, wendy house
Original Poster Banned

Yes please.

Its fibreboard (about 2' square)

I think I'm gonna cancel the mdf and get ply. Annoyingly, I have enough porcelein tiles left over from the house - and was thinking of using those but didnt want to cough up for ply!

I'm inviting you to leave this thead as your intentions are quite clear. I dont wish to mix with members on probation for trolling.

wishihadadonkey

would you like a hand?

fragaliciousbob

if you are laying it on the green thick underlay that comes in sheets and … if you are laying it on the green thick underlay that comes in sheets and not a roll then it will flex a little and could break the glue when it goes off i would screw it down and also make sure you have the recommended expansion gap 8mm i think around the edge

master_chief

Guv, Guv, Guv, you can't turn around someone's insult on them, … Guv, Guv, Guv, you can't turn around someone's insult on them, particularly when there's no basis for it. You know I live in a brand new bought house so it just makes you look silly, especially when it's common knowledge your house is ex-council...

goldmax

Wendy is a lucky girl!
Banned
guv

Ive got a nail gun.... but will that really hold it down (I obviously … Ive got a nail gun.... but will that really hold it down (I obviously cant peice the flooring below! I also have a drill with a screw peice..... and my wrists are quite strong anyway!) X)

yes Paslode gun and suitable nails will be fine ...

excellent news on the strong wrists oO
Mod & Ed
guv

Yes please.

I knew my skills would be in demand once I'd flaunted them a bit & my wrists are super strong
Edited by: "wishihadadonkey" 30th Mar 2012
Banned
I win.
pics needed before and after?
Original Poster Banned
master_chief

I win.

Yes dear.

plumberman01

pics needed before and after?

Of course...

Right time to get on...... Toodle pip.
i did bumpyour old thread ,log cabins r us, anyways guv' do you get any leaks? Ive sealed the corners and theyre good, but water is coming in the middle of the wall....your lc is thicker than mine, but im getting leaks and wondeting if i should use some kinda boat paint on it.
Banned
Is this an outside loo being converted into a shed?
Mod & Ed
splatsplatsplat

i did bumpyour old thread ,log cabins r us, anyways guv' do you get any … i did bumpyour old thread ,log cabins r us, anyways guv' do you get any leaks? Ive sealed the corners and theyre good, but water is coming in the middle of the wall....your lc is thicker than mine, but im getting leaks and wondeting if i should use some kinda boat paint on it.

I was getting lots of leaks as well in my shed, the water was coming through the empty nail holes in the roof where I'd pulled them out, I tried using blu tack to fill them, but it didn't work, so then I tried sawing off the couple of inches poking through, but my half of a hacksaw broke completely, my husband had to re roof it in the end, still I've learnt my lesson, I won't make the same mistakes with the garage
Instead of normal trunking I've used skirting board trunking which conceals the cables inside but if you don't want plastic at all, why not use wooden skirting and rout a channel along it?
deleted265520
Make sure your dodgy satellite dish extends to this shed.
Banned
Is this similar to your 'Log Cabin' Giv?
http://www.langhalegardens.co.uk/shop/images/cedar_sheds/cedar_storage_unit.jpg
deleted265520
Small cabin mentality
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wBMm0XSN9uk/SpZ5ieRiwEI/AAAAAAAAKj0/YJ9eGc9f71g/s400/image046.jpg
Original Poster Banned

Apologies, I didnt see it. Not really sure. There is zero water leaks in mine. Did you fully lock the tongue and groove when it was built?

You have outside loo's where you live? Not another Hullite are you?

splatsplatsplat

i did bumpyour old thread ,log cabins r us, anyways guv' do you get any … i did bumpyour old thread ,log cabins r us, anyways guv' do you get any leaks? Ive sealed the corners and theyre good, but water is coming in the middle of the wall....your lc is thicker than mine, but im getting leaks and wondeting if i should use some kinda boat paint on it.

2sly

Is this an outside loo being converted into a shed?

splatsplatsplat

kingy58

Instead of normal trunking I've used skirting board trunking which … Instead of normal trunking I've used skirting board trunking which conceals the cables inside but if you don't want plastic at all, why not use wooden skirting and rout a channel along it?

dtovey89

Make sure your dodgy satellite dish extends to this shed.

JonnyTwoToes

Is this similar to your 'Log Cabin' Giv?

dtovey89

Small cabin mentality

I know you offered a hand.... but blue tak? Really? PS mine isnt a shed! X)

I did think about that. but decided against it. Too late now! Doh!

It will, along with service from my media server to feed to the Plasma. PS Its not a shed.

No, my name isnt Giv.

Stupid boy.

Right lunch over..... Cabin is clear, 4mm plastic sheets laid.... ready to start thinking about putting down the sheet material and fibreboard..... but zero chance the wooden flooring will be started today. Just too damned big!
Banned
guv

You have outside loo's where you live? Not another Hullite are you?

I thought your council house would come with one as standard.
Banned
So guv did you get your flooring laid then?
Banned
2sly

It's the only thing getting laid in Guv's house this year.
Original Poster Banned
2sly

I thought your council house would come with one as standard.

You now even sound like a Hullite!

2sly

Yes, the flooring is down.

master_chief

It's the only thing getting laid in Guv's house this year.

Ironically, I got laid this morning my little sexless buddy.
Banned
guv

Is that why you are a bit cranky cause your bum is sore?
Banned
guv

Are you suggesting I'm neither male nor female?
Banned
arent you laying it on top of the existing 22mm? I would if not warped as extra insulation too.
Banned
marine ply if youre gonna go down that route for your real wood floor
Edited by: "casparwhite" 2nd Apr 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants