Groups

So what should one do if someone drops a ladder on their car?

Basically some **** dropped his ladder and put a major dent in my car door as he walked by. Three independent witnesses saw what happened and have given me their details BUT the SOB refused to provide any of his info, when I confronted him he denied what had happened!

HOWEVER I did manage to get his car Registration but I don't want to affect my No Claims if I can avoid it.
    My insurance co. have said I would have to claim against my policy and they would then in turn seek civil proceedings against him. I have drivers legal cover which only applies in an RTA and legal expenses cover with my B&C home insurance (dunno what that's for)

Anyone been in a similar situation or know what i should do?

16 Comments

Consider....

how big is the dent?

how new is the car, i.e will you be updating soon

how much excess is on your policy

I'm not entirely sure on the correct procedure, but as you have witnesses, could the police not be called as he has damaged your car then refused to provide his details, which I'm sure is an offence.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5203168

Consider....how big is the dent?how new is the car, i.e will you be … Consider....how big is the dent?how new is the car, i.e will you be updating soonhow much excess is on your policy

The dent is 4 inches long and sharp like a chisel hit.

Car is less than 4 years old and will be kept at least another 2 years.

excess is £250

Original Poster

Charlie&Lola;5203185

I'm not entirely sure on the correct procedure, but as you have … I'm not entirely sure on the correct procedure, but as you have witnesses, could the police not be called as he has damaged your car then refused to provide his details, which I'm sure is an offence.

Police basically said there is sod all they could do as it was an accident and that motor insurance is the way to go.

(I wonder if a brick "accidentally" falling on the bonnet of an 08 reg Merc would be looked upon in the same way :whistling:)

locate the ladder and ram it through his windscreen.

or seek legal advice

Criminal Damage or Vandalism - your property has been damaged. You have witnesses, pursue it with the police.

Original Poster

mbgringo;5203244

Criminal Damage or Vandalism - your property has been damaged. You have … Criminal Damage or Vandalism - your property has been damaged. You have witnesses, pursue it with the police.

thats what i told the police but unfortunately accidents do not fall under either of these.

bargain surfer;5203200

The dent is 4 inches long and sharp like a chisel hit.Car is less than 4 … The dent is 4 inches long and sharp like a chisel hit.Car is less than 4 years old and will be kept at least another 2 years.excess is £250

Only you can decide if the figures are worth it to you hon.

In your position, I'd probably swear a great deal to myself and then decide to ignore it x x

bargain surfer;5203265

thats what i told the police but unfortunately accidents do not fall … thats what i told the police but unfortunately accidents do not fall under either of these.

Amazing. I would have thought refusing to hand over your details would be an offence. Maybe it's worth checking that this is right with one of the pc's on here, just for a second 'legal' opinion

Slash his tyres!

Banned

Have an accident on his van

boothy;5203243

locate the ladder and ram it through his windscreen.or seek legal advice

+1 :), also report him to the Police, just call your local station or pop in they will let you know i would have thought

If there was a road accident and one party refused to give details, I presume that would be a crime? Not sure about the law on these kinds of things, but I would have thought the idea is you claim off the goon with the ladder's insurance. I'm surprised the police won't do anything, I know they have bigger fish, but it's a 2 minute job to trace the car reg.

Banned

Here's a sensible answer...

You can't claim off his motor insurance, it won't cover him for things like this. If the witnesses were able to get details off the side of his van like his company name or number, you could contact him to get his public liability insurance details. But if he's being an **** then it's unlikely he'll co-operate.

Your only other alternative is to go through your own insurers and see if they can trace him using his vehicle reg and then requesting his public liability insurance details (this is a seperate policy that businesses have and is nothing to do with motor insurance)

If you wanted to issue court proceedings against him, you would have to have paid for the repairs or claimed on your insurance as you can only issue proceedings when you have actually incurred a financial loss.

Not the best of news, sorry

Regrettably, in such circumstances there is no law which requires that ******** to give his name and address.
    He can simply raise two fingers and keep walking. Sad but true.
    It's one of the reasons we take out comprehensive insurance on our vehicles, despite the excess payable.
    Anyone who believes life is fair hasn't lived very long!

Also point to be wary of, if you talk to your insurance company re this they may lodge as a claim even if you dont claim..

Sheila Wheels (and others) have small print that you have to notify of events and if you tell them they will raise your premium... even if you decide you wont/cant claim...avoid sheilas wheels!

Had a similar incident where a **** damaged car.. i rearranged his face in self defense Police didnt charge him with damage/vandalism despite witnesses and statements..
    I asked insurance company and they said if police charge him then they will pursue, as police didnt they refused to pursue. I didnt put a claim forward to insurance.

Unfortunately Insurance added a claim on teh following year renewal! i went to another insurer.

Police, CPS and insurers are useless and will abuse you further, a ladder or accidental brick and his car will be a more satisfying solution.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with home Internet dropping out please56
      2. Best Wi-Fi extender33
      3. Any Just Eat Vouchers around?22
      4. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22

See more discussions