Groups

So, who's gonna download Google Chrome?

As you may or may not know, Google have spent a lot of time and effort of developing a new Internet Browser.
    Today will see the release of the first public beta. The browser itself is set to be open-source and has even been described as the next "IE/Firefox/Opera/Safari killer"!

More Info here: itwire.com/con…53/

72 Comments

What was/is google os? Ive got a self burnt disc that I have scrawled google os in cd marker Or had i lost the plot at the point I did that?

Original Poster

I think what you have already downloaded is Google's OS: Android.
    I would've loved to play around with Android this summer, but I didn't have the opportunity to do so

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna try this out and see if its any good.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;2874583

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna try this out and see if its any good.

No Problem :thumbsup:

Been looking forward to this one for quite some time

eh so where do we download chrome from?

pikachu12;2874586

Google blog.

Not available yet though.

Original Poster

pikachu12;2874586

You can't just yet, but the public beta should be available today.

can someone pleas post a link when it becomes available for download

ross123540;2874868

can someone pleas post a link when it becomes available for download

gears.google.com/chr…=en. seems to be the official link

Banned

Not me - FF already does a decent job as does Opera, IE8 will probably be a cut above previous versions also.

I doubt it will offer anything new.. or at least anything that couldn't be replicated with a plugin. It's important to remember that even the likes of FireFox have to release patches (updates) in order to counter potential vulnerabilities, just read the release notes the next time it prompts you to update.

Has anyone tried this out? :whistling:

Original Poster

Lol, not just yet...

When the Americans wake up, I guess it will be up for download then.

lol.....:-D

I'm a bit too keen I guess.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080901/dlpage_lg.jpg

Doesnt look very appealing.

SkippyDoo;2876620

lol.....:-DI'm a bit too keen I guess.

if your that keen a count down clock for Chrome can be found at the folowing link.

]freechromethemes.com/Dow…php

beelzebub;2875018

I doubt it will offer anything new.. or at least anything that couldn't … I doubt it will offer anything new.. or at least anything that couldn't be replicated with a plugin. It's important to remember that even the likes of FireFox have to release patches (updates) in order to counter potential vulnerabilities, just read the release notes the next time it prompts you to update.

It acts completely differently from what I was reading about it. Instead of each tab being part of the main process, each tab will have it's own tab an memory space. So if you have 20 tabs open in Firefox there is only 1 firefox.exe in your process list. However with Chrome there would be 20 processes instead.

Sounds bad at first, but what it means is if the website your on is badly written and causes the browser to crash, you only have to close that tab and not the whole browser.

Also if you regularly go lots of sites at once, but then your browser becomes slow and sluggish you will be able to see which particular website is causing the slow down.

Not saying this will be better, but it certainly is a different and is only 1 of the changes.

Saying it will be a Firefox/Opera/Safari killer is a bit of a stretch of the imagination, nothing will ever kill IE's dominance of the market unless Microsoft Stop supplying IE with Windows. Most "non-techie" computer users dont know what a browser is they just see it as "The Internet" so telling them there are other browsers out there wont mean anything and they certainly wont go looking for alternatives to what they have already.

I will not be using any browser from Google, they get too much info about you as it is.:x

That sounds pretty interesting. Certainly make recovering from crashes and slowdowns easier.

Inactive;2877386

I will not be using any browser from Google, they get too much info about … I will not be using any browser from Google, they get too much info about you as it is.:x

there is a privacy mode similar to the one in safari

Banned

If anything good comes from this it'll be the likes of FireFox mirroring (implementing) any decent new ability / function or idea. The separate process approach sounds like they're trying to cater for multiple core computers as well as reliability though it shouldn't crash in the first place let's be honest :).

Javascript / Java (not sure on this one) and Flash would be the main culprits if your browser takes up a lot of CPU time.

IE only has one flaw in my opinion and thats that it cant be uninstalled easily without a load of registry hacks/tweaks.
    i will give chrome a try so I can then give an honest opinion of it, I feel I will always prefer FF though as there are countless add-ons/extensions that other browsers just dont compare with.

My personal preference is FF too.

IE has more than 1 flaw though. I would have said it's main one is it lack of compliance to HTML standards. Anyone who has ever started making a nice looking website will know what I mean. Having to make CSS hacks just so IE renders your page properly is right royal pain in the butt cheeks

guerilla;2877408

there is a privacy mode similar to the one in safari

Sorry, I just don't trust Google.:x

Google have called a press conference at 11am PDT (7pm BST), so it's expected to be available for download after that.

Original Poster

According to Wikipedia, it's scheduled for 18:00 GMT (about 50 minutes away)

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wik…ome

Shadows1990;2878518

According to Wikipedia, it's scheduled for 18:00 GMT (about 50 minutes … According to Wikipedia, it's scheduled for 18:00 GMT (about 50 minutes away)Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

We're in BST not GMT at the moment, hence the 7pm.

Original Poster

Ohhh right, silly me xD

Original Poster

10 Minute reminder

19:00 Hrs

Original Poster

No download yet

yes no download as yet!!!

Woah......there is some hype for this.

Lets start the countdown lol

should be good for people who use googlemail and anythings better then internet explorer lol

Original Poster

Lol, well the countdown would be -14 minutes xD

Apparently, it will be released sometime during the Press Conference (happening as we speak).

Original Poster

Just found this: google.client.shareholder.com/Vis…878

That should take you to the Press Conference (it's really slow at loading on my end).

beelzebub;2877491

If anything good comes from this it'll be the likes of FireFox mirroring … If anything good comes from this it'll be the likes of FireFox mirroring (implementing) any decent new ability / function or idea.

You mean like they've so far failed to do for all the current good ideas about? It doesn't even have an undo button yet, even opera has a partially-working version of that.

Original Poster

Oops, use this one instead: google.com/chrome

Not out for mac yet? DOH
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions