Groups

So... Why are we hating?

Hey guys. Not looking to start too much of an argument or act like I'm trolling, just legit confused over all of the No Man's Sky hate floating around.

From what I can tell it's pretty much just been another case of the hype train run rampant, not sure where all accusations of Sean Murray outright lying are coming from.

Thought I'd ask before I chalked it up to the Internet being a bunch of whiny 12 year olds.

23 Comments

Because 'they' can (_;)

I think because the pc version is massively broken? The same that happened to that batman game for pc, I have the release of no man's sky to test but given all the bad press and feedback I haven't been bothered to even install it.

I must be old as I have no idea what you're talking about. X)

It's that many of the things promised weren't delivered, there's no multiplayer, the trailers and screenshots are unrealistic, nothing in the game will look that good as it's designed by people and not made by the game, there's no space combat and other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. This along with the hype which wouldn't have even been lived up to if the game delivered everything promised, the broken PC version and the fact that it's a full price game when it should have been priced like any other indie make it an utter disaster.

I dunno, I was too busy on a different hype train to notice X)

moneysavingkitten

I dunno, I was too busy on a different hype train to notice X)

Where ?
    http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9swc8tPQP1rxevt4o1_250.gif

thewongwing101

Where ?:D

If it's to a place of open sided computers and boxes of cables, count me in. It looks like home

moneysavingkitten

If it's to a place of open sided computers and boxes of cables, count me … If it's to a place of open sided computers and boxes of cables, count me in. It looks like home

If it's not, just come on my train with me

moneysavingkitten

If it's to a place of open sided computers and boxes of cables, count me … If it's to a place of open sided computers and boxes of cables, count me in. It looks like home

Sounds good nothing there I can't break

deeky

If it's not, just come on my train with me

That trains so hype I'd be hyperventilating

No man's sky in my eyes is a experience it isn't a game which is why it deserves 'hate'.

Should of got it for 15 with the smyths deal i'd be much happier

I dont hate it, but it was very misleading, the game is nothing like was to be expected, and I find Hello Games at fault for blatantly misrepresenting the game, gameplay and misleading on the multiplayer element..

Whats the point of Quintillion planets if there is a variety of 20..

I was very much looking forward to it, and was pretty disappointed, But as there is a chance to get a refund, I will, and I might buy it in the future if it fulfills its original promise and for a discounted price too.

Its taught me one lesson though, and one i thought i already knew... and that is never pre-order software, wait out the reviews, I fell bad of my own knowledge.

From what I can gather, over half the ideas and advertised features that were supposed to be in the game, aren't there.
    I was lucky and traded mine in for more than I paid.

deanlfc

It's that many of the things promised weren't delivered, there's no … It's that many of the things promised weren't delivered, there's no multiplayer, the trailers and screenshots are unrealistic, nothing in the game will look that good as it's designed by people and not made by the game, there's no space combat and other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. This along with the hype which wouldn't have even been lived up to if the game delivered everything promised, the broken PC version and the fact that it's a full price game when it should have been priced like any other indie make it an utter disaster.

Mostly everything is opinion. One thing you are wrong about though is that there is definitely space combat... Don't know if you left a planet but its definitely there.

PhearFactor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTPlqK8AnYhttp://www.onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/The price tag should have reflected the current state of the games development and it didn't.

Its all evidenced here based on what was said to be in the game prior to release compared to what is there now.

Nobody I think can be angry if a game is reduced in scope pre release if we are told about it but that didnt happen here.

There's also the issue of again a visual downgrade marring the launch of a new title (Aliens:CM, The Division, Watch Dogs): "The most recent promo material from July, the four pillars videos released just a month before launch, are all using new footage from that same old build of the game that very clearly does not represent the one people can buy. That footage is still being used to sell this game even now, and it's no better than what Sega did with Aliens: Colonial Marines."

With an honest approach from the start and a realistic approach to pricing I dont think the backlash would have been a 1/10th of what it has been.

A shame and a missed opportunity but in time I think it will find success just not perhaps at the level exepected.

Editor

haritori

I dont hate it, but it was very misleading, the game is nothing like was … I dont hate it, but it was very misleading, the game is nothing like was to be expected, and I find Hello Games at fault for blatantly misrepresenting the game, gameplay and misleading on the multiplayer element.. Whats the point of Quintillion planets if there is a variety of 20.. I was very much looking forward to it, and was pretty disappointed, But as there is a chance to get a refund, I will, and I might buy it in the future if it fulfills its original promise and for a discounted price too.Its taught me one lesson though, and one i thought i already knew... and that is never pre-order software, wait out the reviews, I fell bad of my own knowledge.

Completely agree. I hate that the situation has been brought into the whole 'Hype before release' hyperbole because this was a clear cut case of misleading customers right up until release. Hello Games (Sean Murray) in their quest to ride the wave of enthusiasm since the E3 debut, gave tight-lipped answers to fans questions, just setting them up for failure. Builds of the game that were demoed just a few months ago were much more in line with what was promised/shown. The messaging even after the initial delay still showed the features that were seemingly cut/never existed. Some would probably argue that fans shouldn't have believed the Murray Hype given his squirming at every interview, and that's a valid point.

Planets look the same as you said, with little variety, fauna the same with little variance. Something just doesn't add up.

It reeks like bare-bones Destiny. Fundamentals are there but are very basic and need to be built upon. Wonder if they cut features back on request of Sony so it can be sold piecemeal à la Destiny?

I just want to play the game we were shown for over 2 years.:(

msmyth

Completely agree. I hate that the situation has been brought into the … Completely agree. I hate that the situation has been brought into the whole 'Hype before release' hyperbole because this was a clear cut case of misleading customers right up until release. Hello Games (Sean Murray) in their quest to ride the wave of enthusiasm since the E3 debut, gave tight-lipped answers to fans questions, just setting them up for failure. Builds of the game that were demoed just a few months ago were much more in line with what was promised/shown. The messaging even after the initial delay still showed the features that were seemingly cut/never existed. Some would probably argue that fans shouldn't have believed the Murray Hype given his squirming at every interview, and that's a valid point.Planets look the same as you said, with little variety, fauna the same with little variance. Something just doesn't add up.It reeks like bare-bones Destiny. Fundamentals are there but are very basic and need to be built upon. Wonder if they cut features back on request of Sony so it can be sold piecemeal à la Destiny?I just want to play the game we were shown for over 2 years.:(

This is what i cant understand, 2 years ago we were being shown basic footage of whats in the game now! so what has been done for two years? the fact the game is 80% Procedural in its build of planets, fauna, creatures etc, it sounds like you say a lot has been cut from launch to add later.

It is essentially too a linear game, the promise of landing on planets and mining resources to further your ability to explore you can become a defender of the galaxies or a pirate and repercussions would be made based on your actions..

Last time i played i managed to spam grab a load of gravitino balls, become wanted, run in a building and then i was safe again, the whole game seems lazy, with no direction, nothing complete..

But its also annoying me the people who are defending this game..

Star Citizen makes No Mans Sky look like Jet Set Willy.

Edited by: "haritori" 31st Aug 2016

haritori

Star Citizen makes No Mans Sky look like Jet Set Willy.

That sounds like a compliment to me
    Edited by: "Oneday77" 31st Aug 2016

Oneday77

That sounds like a compliment to me

Just an observation.

Star citizen is also very expensive and requires a monthly sub as well as a pretty beefy PC.

[edit] sorry i read your comment as complaint not compliment lol. Yes Jet Set Willy was very good, in fact i bet it has more variety than No Mans Sky lol.

Edited by: "haritori" 31st Aug 2016

If you like the game, fair enough. Unfortunately I feel that due to the lack of depth of the trade and fight bases of the game, it has quickly turned into a virtual photographer simulator - which is pretty much evidenced by the reddit sub.

youtube.com/wat…Q8A

video here of Sean Murray basically lying through his teeth about the ingame features, multiple times, and the guy even cringes as he lies each time.

even better one too..

youtube.com/wat…n64

Edited by: "haritori" 1st Sep 2016

I managed to hold out and not buy NMS as the reviews came in not so good, I'm gonna buy it eventually because I do love the idea of flying and discovering planets etc, just a shame it doesn't look as polished as it should be for the AAA price tag, if it came out for around £25 then I would have bought it day one.

Will buy a copy on here if someone sells cheap enough one day!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2850
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?34201
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1631
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1416

See more discussions