Posted 13th Dec 2022
I drink a fair bit of fizzy mineral water. Don't have a car so lugging 2l bottles can be a bit of a pain. Is it worth buying a Soda Stream?

Currently this one:
Soda Stream Terra

Soda Stream Terra - is on offer in ASDA for £70 (black version) and £69 from Amazon (white version).

Anyone got one? How much does it roughly cost to fizz up some tap water and would you recommend?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Can't comment on the product itself, but buy directly from Soda Stream. They have a bundle for £10 more on the black version and comes with two bottles and tonnes of flavours

sodastream.co.uk/pro…658
  2. Avatar
    Definitely worth it, if the main reason is having a constant supply of sparkling water without lugging bottles all of the time. I have a couple of friends who have one as well, and we all agree that it's one of those cheap life improvements that's worth having.

Neither of us likes the syrups though, I tried a couple and ended up throwing them away. The water is great though, don't get the point about it not being fizzy enough - you can choose how much fizziness you want, and I always drink it after making it (mostly before having dinner) so haven't noticed it losing fizz - I don't leave it the fridge etc.
  3. Avatar
    had one around 4 years ago, it was a fad that quickly got old and end up being given away in the end. The fizz doesn't last long and doesn't taste better than the others. The gas bottle lasted a while though. Personally i would avoid (aside from maybe the novelty factor).
  4. Avatar
    We looked into one and found it's the same sort of racket as you get with coffee pod machines. Cheap entry point with the machine and usually a bottle of syrup bundled in, like they do with the coffee machines and say a dozen capsules included. But after that, it felt that the price really didn't differ much from buying the proper drink and - if my FIL's SS machine was anything to go by - produced an inferior drink. And that's without replacing the gas every X drinks. It's probably cheaper if you buy syrups in bulk but I think you'd have to enjoy that style of drink - more reminiscent of a soda fountain at a pub or cinema - and be committed to a particular drink to get any true savings benefits from it.
  5. Avatar
    I thought that the gas canister refils worked out quite expensive.

There are lots of modification guides out there so you can adapt the machine to use a different, larger (and cheaper to fill) CO2 canister)
  6. Avatar
    We found it doesn’t taste as nice as normal fizzy drinks and gave it away after a few months, just a novelty, but that was just our opinion, our friends love theirs
  7. Avatar
    Own one and i would say it's ok.

Use it from time to time, find some syrups are better than others. Got it on a black Friday deal last year for £34.99, would not advise paying much more for one.

Canisters can be replaced at certain stores (halfords, currys, argos etc) but does come at a cost.

As someone said earlier it's a novelty, can get the same taste from supermarket own brands if i'm being honest. It's currently sat in the home bar and used to make mixers for spirits.
  8. Avatar
    I have had one for about ten years now. Got it for £15 in Tesco and it has certainly paid for itself. Managed to get a whole heap of the gas bottles reduced to clear in Dunelm for £5 too which helped. I like a lime and soda in the summer which it is great for. The Pepsi max syrup is very good. We use ours most days
  9. Avatar
    Why not just order your fizz in bulk once in a while and get it delivered, you could make up the minimum spend with other bulky items and pick a cheap delivery slot.
    Author
    To be honest this is what I try and remember to do. My place is tiny so can’t store too many bottles :/
  10. Avatar
    Can't believe they make them!
    Mate was always offering me them when I went to his
    Syrupy flat water
    Maybe your mate cheaped out on the CO2?
  11. Avatar
    If you don't mind paying way over the odds for fizzy water, you get around 30 litres per gas bottle which costs £10 or more
    They state 60litres, but I get way more than that
  12. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback
Top Merchants