Sofa help

Posted 31st Oct
Just waited 4 weeks for my sofas and turn out despite measuring to ensure they fit in my doorway and stairs (I live in a maisonette) they don’t go around the top corner of the stairs on the landing. Anyone know if these kind of sofas can be dissembled?

harveysfurniture.co.uk/col…on/
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

26 Comments
Any chance of getting them in through the window ?
I got something similar from them which was delivered in pieces they then assembled it in the room
Edited by: "Stevelow_212" 31st Oct
Which one? The corner site?
Have you tried removing the ceiling ?
How tight was it (by centimeters), when turning round the top corner? Remove parts of balustrade?
Take off the legs? Mind you, if your seller (Harveys) didn't answer your question or pick up the phone to ask the assembler, maker, which was, "Anyone know if these kind of sofas can be dissembled?" You are truly cut off from hearing from the horse's mouth!
Did you try one-way and then flip the sofa 180 degrees and try again to round that corner?
Edit:
I did come across a sofa, made of two box-sections, bolted together with big nut and bolts on two sides of the box-sections to make a rectangular base.
Edited by: "splender" 31st Oct
One obvious thing to check... That sofa is the exact size that you ordered. If they've made it too big it's their problem.
jbecker31/10/2019 21:35

Any chance of getting them in through the window ?

I've done this, need to be a pro or get a fitter to put it back in though

It's all about price of removing the window and a banana picker Vs a sofa that disassembles.
DaThetopdog31/10/2019 22:22

I've done this, need to be a pro or get a fitter to put it back in though …I've done this, need to be a pro or get a fitter to put it back in though It's all about price of removing the window and a banana picker Vs a sofa that disassembles.

We have large tilt and turn windows, makes getting a sofa in a doddle, our stairs are in two parts and turn 180 degrees back on themselves so getting furniture (other than naff flat pack) upstairs was impossible, we now hoist it onto the flat kitchen roof and through an upstairs window.
Wongy11031/10/2019 21:45

Have you tried removing the ceiling ?

Or, put the sofa in the Freezer - things get a lot smaller when they are cold (hubby is always telling me this).
It might just fit afterwards.
joyf453631/10/2019 23:23

Or, put the sofa in the Freezer - things get a lot smaller when they are …Or, put the sofa in the Freezer - things get a lot smaller when they are cold (hubby is always telling me this). It might just fit afterwards.

It's possible that the arms unbolt - do you have a picture of the back of the sofa?
PIVOT!
DaThetopdog31/10/2019 22:22

I've done this, need to be a pro or get a fitter to put it back in though …I've done this, need to be a pro or get a fitter to put it back in though It's all about price of removing the window and a banana picker Vs a sofa that disassembles.

If your just removing the glass it’s a doddle you just remove 4 edges and the glass comes, done it many many time. No need to remove all the frame....
I wouldn’t take that couch apart lol. Return under distance selling act, unless you bought in store.
maybe ask if they’ll swap it...
We had an upholster outyesterday about our sofa seems most come a part easily the base is a box and can be removed. Might make it easier to get it over the stairs but ask Harvey’s if they have an upholster who can do it so it’s still covered.
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Nov
eslick01/11/2019 09:31

We had an upholster outyesterday about our sofa seems most come a part …We had an upholster outyesterday about our sofa seems most come a part easily the base is a box and can be removed. Might make it easier to get it over the stairs but ask Harvey’s if they have an upholster who can do it so it’s still covered.

They outsource and the company they use is terrible
I presume you've tried tipping the sofa up vertically so that one end is on the ground, with the seat facing the inside of the corner and the feet on the outside, so that the corner wall fits into the "Vee" between the back and seat as you shuffle it around the corner?
I've got sofas around some pretty tight bends using that method.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 1st Nov
Stevelow_21201/11/2019 10:49

They outsource and the company they use is terrible

To be honest it’s a long long time since Harvey’s was any good
38878325-1cz0t.jpg
This is pictures along with another one
38878328-xSNYQ.jpg
It’s a 4 seater sofa. The main issue is the bannister and the set of stairs directly above the stairs it gets stuck on
Pakboy01/11/2019 18:13

It’s a 4 seater sofa. The main issue is the bannister and the set of s …It’s a 4 seater sofa. The main issue is the bannister and the set of stairs directly above the stairs it gets stuck on

Can't you remove the bannister?
Pakboy01/11/2019 18:12

This is pictures along with another one [Image]

Difficult to see clearly with the packaging on but it does look like the arms have been upholstered independently of the main frame of the sofa.

If so, the arms should un-bolt - you need to carefully remove the dust sheet at the base of the sofa in order to access the bolts holding the arms to the main frame.

Un-bolt the arms, get the pieces into your property/room and then bolt back together to re-attach the arms.

Apart from spanners to remove the arms, you may also need a staple gun to re-attach the dust sheet.

Something like this which is still available even though the deal has expired.
Thank you guys for all your help. I’ve decided to take the hit and get someone to do it for me
I’ll take notes though and make sure I can do it myself when I need to move
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants