Expired

Sofas: dfs , scs , harveys or from argos , homebase

Found 13th Dec 2011
hi all,
have been looking to purchase new leather sofas and been instore to visit dfs, scs and harveys. had quite a few range and did also like a few. but went online and to my surprise all these stores (dfs,scs,harveys) got soo much negative feedback which has me worried before i place an order. some of the things said are soo bad like product delievered after 6 months and not the ones originally ordered etc.
so please form the above stores has anyone ordered any sofas and from which one?

also had alternative looks on homebase and argos but did not like any leather ones despite i know i will get better service if ordered from them. however found this from argos:
Diego Leather Large and Regular Recliner Sofa - Black for £800 but still does not really look nice to me.
Is this a good time to buy and get a bargain?
your comments welcome
Community Updates
45 Comments
I have also wondered where people get their Sofas from as there is so much negativity about most places that sell them. Will watch this thread as we will be needing a new suite next year.
We had a torrid time with the one we ordered from Harveys, delayed 4 weeks and then when it came they weren't even going to assemble it (as standard) it just so happened that I went home during my lunch break and blocked in the delivery van, refused to move until they did the job.

Shame really as the suite is perfect, just the customer service that's lacking.
Bought mine from SCS in Cardiff - no problems at all, and the staff were very helpful. And the suite was delivered on time, although the delivery chaps were obviously having a bad day, as they were grumpy.
The stuff is cheap crap - you get what you pay for.

Try a local furniture store selling branded stuff if you are willing to spend to get quality.
The floor is comfier than a lot of the sofas sold.
moob

The stuff is cheap crap - you get what you pay for.Try a local furniture … The stuff is cheap crap - you get what you pay for.Try a local furniture store selling branded stuff if you are willing to spend to get quality.

do you know of any big ones, no local ones that i know of
I m thinking of using harveys but again from the 3 they have the most negative feedback - its shocking just check on moneysupermarket they have horrid stories on them and also thk sometime back watchdog had something on harveys - but since then i am sure harveys must have done something about it to improve they services or not !!
danib

do you know of any big ones, no local ones that i know of

I know a few near where I stay, Glasgow, Forrest Furnishing, MacDonald's etc.
Harveys have a lot of plastic sided sofas that don't match.
i have always purchased from DFS, love the quaility and the service.
We had our last sofa from DFS... 3 years interest free credit (never again - DFS or the interest free credit!)

D - Doesn't fit together.
F - F-in uncomfortable
S - Still paying for the b-strd thing...
we have had two new sofas over the last few years first was a leather one from dfs, absolutely fab when we moved and wanted a new one gave it to mother in law she still got it now and it still looks fab. The next sofa a leather corner one came from scs its rubbish very poor quality and metal bracket broke of after 4 months would avoid. Defo reccomend dfs no problems and very good quality
so from what i m getting everyone orders from dfs,scs,harveys even tho bad reviews but no ones interested in argos and homebase.
I guess it comes down to diff designs and people wanting the sofas to look nice also hence going with the above shops.
DFS probably have a sale on if that helps?
danib

so from what i m getting everyone orders from dfs,scs,harveys even tho … so from what i m getting everyone orders from dfs,scs,harveys even tho bad reviews but no ones interested in argos and homebase. I guess it comes down to diff designs and people wanting the sofas to look nice also hence going with the above shops.

We were going to go down the Argos route until I sat on a few of them, most are low backed and low quality leather, durable but not nice on your skin.
They do tend to have a lot of bogof so you can get a good deal on them, depends on your budget.
I've had a sofa from SCS within the past year. I had been disappointed with the fact that holes were warn in the base because the springs came through.

However, I was pleased that they fixed it quite quickly and I was happy with their work. I was put off by DFS when I was looking because the salesmen stalked me around the store. It was empty in there that day.

Although my Sister has a lovely corner group from DFS and has had no trouble with it, and is still in good nick.

I would probably not buy another from SCS, because the cushions are prone to flatten and need constant plumping, but they are hollow fibre.

Actuallly, I've been no help whatsoever!
I think I will go with SCS too, gt a 2k budget
Got my Sofa 2 and a 3 "should" fingers crossed be here,next 2 hours from SCS its been 6 week wait.

i got this one http://www.scs.co.uk/product/leather-sofas/stratos-3-seater-sofa/

in black and only cost me £1150 this has gone back up in price.
timtom13

Got my Sofa 2 and a 3 "should" fingers crossed be here,next 2 hours from … Got my Sofa 2 and a 3 "should" fingers crossed be here,next 2 hours from SCS its been 6 week wait.i got this one http://www.scs.co.uk/product/leather-sofas/stratos-3-seater-sofa/in black and only cost me £1150 this has gone back up in price.

Hi timtom13,
thanks for that, pls could you give ur views on all delivery, quality, service you got
also is that 6 weeks from order date or were they further delays ??
wow looking at the sofas are really nice - u grabbed a bargain - the 3 seater only is for 1150 now so u got a 2 seater free !!! now dats what i call a "sale"

I "will sevice upto now been outstanding allso i should have recived this on the 16th but a nice lady rang me up,and siad i could have it 3 days early was order on the 05/11/11 and plus i had cash in my hand and got £179 knocked of the asking price was £1329 "well" you dont ask you dont get, it was in the sale back then.Will update once its here
Edited by: "timtom13" 13th Dec 2011
We're looking at getting a new one in the new year, but I'd be very careful of these companies that want all your money up front (so they can get your interest) and promise delivery in 6 to 8 weeks.
In the current climate they could go bust if their Jan sales aren't what they expect, leaving you fighting to get your money back. . .
danib

I think I will go with SCS too, gt a 2k budget

If you have a 2k budget you can afford to get one from somewhere besides DFS or SCS - in fact, you'd be mental not to.
I prefer quality, so got my sofa made to order for just under £2K incl 5 year warranty at Sofa Workshop

sofaworkshop.com/
moob

If you have a 2k budget you can afford to get one from somewhere besides … If you have a 2k budget you can afford to get one from somewhere besides DFS or SCS - in fact, you'd be mental not to.

Exactly.

Unless you're in the sub £500 range or you want 10 years interest free credit, SCS are best avoided.

For £2k you could either use a local furniture seller, not one of the chains, or get M&S or John Lewis, stores with decent customer service.
choc1969

I prefer quality, so got my sofa made to order for just under £2K incl 5 … I prefer quality, so got my sofa made to order for just under £2K incl 5 year warranty at Sofa Workshophttp://www.sofaworkshop.com/

Hi, just had a look - the prices are ridiculous. an average 3 seater leather sofa not less than £1500 so we talking about 3-4k for a set. no way am paying that much

For £2k you could either use a local furniture seller, not one of the … For £2k you could either use a local furniture seller, not one of the chains, or get M&S or John Lewis, stores with decent customer service.

have already looked at M&S and john lewis - again not affordable at all. roughly only a 3 seater costs around 1500-2000 pounds from these places
Next sell sofas and Ikea.
timtom13

I "will sevice upto now been outstanding allso i should have recived this … I "will sevice upto now been outstanding allso i should have recived this on the 16th but a nice lady rang me up,and siad i could have it 3 days early was order on the 05/11/11 and plus i had cash in my hand and got £179 knocked of the asking price was £1329 "well" you dont ask you dont get, it was in the sale back then.Will update once its here

Hi timtom, hope you have recieved ur very high quality sofas and are happy with the purchase. looking forward to your feedback.
Hi yes it came @ 6 yesterday,got phone call 1 hour befor saying on it`s way thats all good.Ok about the sofa well well this sofa looked100% better in the shop then it does in my house thats for sure im not realy likeing it at this moment in time its small very small which is ok i got more room to have the kids play, the one in the shop was red and had white stitching and looked the part my sofa is black with black stitching its nice and padded the backs are held with valcro strips which can easy be pulled apart the build quality i would say out of 10 i give it a 7 this might grow on me in the nexted week or so, but im just not realy 100% impressed at this minute in time its cheaplyish made thats for sure and in no way would i spend over £2000 on this, the price i paid was about right. I would take the advice that some have given you with you`r £2000 and look around and stay a way from big comerciale shops ect scs and dfs, hope this hellps
Two resons why i bought this one was the cost was good at the time,secound was the fact the backs are protruding out which i realy like because iv`e got "sciatica" and this helps with it.
timtom13

Hi yes it came @ 6 yesterday,got phone call 1 hour befor saying on it`s … Hi yes it came @ 6 yesterday,got phone call 1 hour befor saying on it`s way thats all good.Ok about the sofa well well this sofa looked100% better in the shop then it does in my house thats for sure im not realy likeing it at this moment in time its small very small which is ok i got more room to have the kids play, the one in the shop was red and had white stitching and looked the part my sofa is black with black stitching its nice and padded the backs are held with valcro strips which can easy be pulled apart the build quality i would say out of 10 i give it a 7 this might grow on me in the nexted week or so, but im just not realy 100% impressed at this minute in time its cheaplyish made thats for sure and in no way would i spend over £2000 on this, the price i paid was about right. I would take the advice that some have given you with you`r £2000 and look around and stay a way from big comerciale shops ect scs and dfs, hope this hellps

hi tim, thanks for review - i m sure within the next weeks you will be more used to the sofas and start liking them. i v got some thinking todo with what i should do.
i called SCS instore anyway re the prices and guess what the prices and he quotated me quite low prices compared to they web prices.
let see if i can get the same like yours 3+2 seater and also wnt a 1 seater all in for £1000
local dump
bottle of febreeze
????
profit
My sofa is from IKEA, got it about 7 years ago and is super comfy, I can even lay down on it fully stretched (i'm 6ft 5).
sancho1983

My sofa is from IKEA, got it about 7 years ago and is super comfy, I can … My sofa is from IKEA, got it about 7 years ago and is super comfy, I can even lay down on it fully stretched (i'm 6ft 5).

I've got a rug I can lay down on.
danib

hi tim, thanks for review - i m sure within the next weeks you will be … hi tim, thanks for review - i m sure within the next weeks you will be more used to the sofas and start liking them. i v got some thinking todo with what i should do.i called SCS instore anyway re the prices and guess what the prices and he quotated me quite low prices compared to they web prices. let see if i can get the same like yours 3+2 seater and also wnt a 1 seater all in for £1000

Keep me up to date ok,i might ad some pics later and if got time.
Edited by: "timtom13" 14th Dec 2011
timtom13

Keep me up to date ok,i might ad some pics later and if got time.

hi tim,
yes that would be useful if you can upload some pics of the sofa, thanks in advance
http://i42.tinypic.com/vhsqag.jpg

Not realy over joyed about it?

what more can i say????????????????????????????
Edited by: "timtom13" 16th Dec 2011
hi timtom13 and danib hope ur still on the site wanted to know about how u went about the sofa thing and timtom13 how is the sofa at the moment i have ordered the same a week back the delivery is 12 weeks from now...hope i did the right thing by ordering this stratos sofa from scs...pls reply back i too have a bad back so went for this one after trying all different kinds....
thanks
natasha
dfs are crap nightmare with them
We too are in the process of buying a new 3 + 2 sofa . Have had a look at many online sites and found some great bargains , we have also started going to the stores dfs, scs , harveys etc . Seen some fabulous sofas ,,,,But you must try them , some of the best looking and more reasonably priced are very uncomfortable and seem poor quality. This go's for all the stores . We will not buy one now until we have tried sitting on it . I think you will find most of the stores have good and bad item ( lot depends on price ) we are still looking and going to see the last couple of stores on new years day. We have ruled out online stores because of the reasons stated above (cannot try them ) One last point ,,best two places we went for friendly helpful but not pushy salesmen were DFS and Harveys . Will let you know how we get on later
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants