softmodding a gamecube

Found 29th Oct 2009
i have just bought a gamecube and want to softmod it to play backup games and maybe some homebrew. What is the best way and cheapest way to do this?
i have been reading about it but got slightly confused as to what to get.

I think that an sd gecko and old action replay is the best option?
but i also want to know if i could use usb gecko? also is it possible to play my backups of an sd card or from my computer?

5 Comments

Banned

i didnt know a gamecube can support usb and memory cards
i also thought that the only way to mod a GC required some soldering and buying extra parts which are hard to find but can be found.

Original Poster

it can't be modded i believe, so saying that it can in my opening post was wrong. however with the use of a few accesories it can load backups and homebrew?

Banned

gpcool;6727219

it can't be modded i believe, so saying that it can in my opening post … it can't be modded i believe, so saying that it can in my opening post was wrong. however with the use of a few accesories it can load backups and homebrew?

im not sure about accessories - i did read about moddin a gamecube quite a long time ago, it can be done, but you need to know stuff about soldering and electrical circuits and stuff cos you have alot of messing about to do for it to play back up games

in regards to having accessories to play back ups and homebrews...hmmm im not so sure maybe it is possible but i dont recall coming across anythin of the sort...never the less im not sayin it doesnt exist

i think thats all i can provide on this topic im afraid

Banned

ahhhh i might give this a go in my spare time!!

it shows it is working and it is pretty str8 4rwd - he tells you in the info bit exactly what you need and how to go about doing it.

he also links a forum for you which you can visit specifically for these questions (havnt checked link)
he also asks to visit his profile for his other videos on the subject

i dont believe you can use a usb launcher. the sd card launcher acts like a gamecube memory card you see, and it needs to slot in the memory card slot the the GC can read it. but in this case it not only connects to the launcher, but the files on the sd card are executed to allow you to play backups

very clever indeed this bit of kit
Post a comment
@
    Text