Software updates affecting performance of older devices? Namely Ipad2

18 replies
Found 3rd Feb
I'm getting it in the neck a bit from a relative I set up with an Ipad 2, admittedly nearly 5 years ago, for its performance dramatically dropping off in recent times; particularly when browsing the the internet. I've tried it myself and it is very laggy, so much so it goes beyond frustrating and is nearly useless now. Achieved very little improvement following complete factory reset, although have had someone at the genius bar claim the performance is what they would expect from an 'old' machine. Given the price ticket on these items, it is a difficult to explain to someone who has looked after their device very well, that sorry, that's your lot. I don't think I can bring myself to recommend another £500 piece of kit if 4/5 years down the line, deliberately or incidentally, unavoidable updates will grind its performance into the ground. I have heard cynics say some companies take the opportunity to slow down older devices with updates, presumably to drive new sales/support?

Wanted to get the thoughts on this from the balanced/informed community on here.

Thanks.

1. Ask
  2. iPad
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. iPad
18 Comments

check the apps installed and do a complete rest of the device and see if that helps. you can get newer I pads cheaper the 500 quid or look at alternative devices but try reset first as older apps maybe causing the fault.

Unfortunately Apple only advise a 3 year life span for these products. What that means is running the latest software etc. It doesn't mean they will stop working.

In all fairness you (your relative) cannot expect technology to still run the same the whole of its lifespan. I used to be the go to 'tech' person in the family but in recent years tried to get away from it for the reasons you are saying. It's such a hassle to try and help people and be the bearer of bad news as often you're then made to be at fault as 'you told them to buy it...'.

As mentioned above, the best route forwards is a complete reset, take it back to factory settings remove everything. That may or may not help. If it doesn't there's little more you can do.

ipswich78

Unfortunately Apple only advise a 3 year life span for these products. … Unfortunately Apple only advise a 3 year life span for these products. What that means is running the latest software etc. It doesn't mean they will stop working.In all fairness you (your relative) cannot expect technology to still run the same the whole of its lifespan. I used to be the go to 'tech' person in the family but in recent years tried to get away from it for the reasons you are saying. It's such a hassle to try and help people and be the bearer of bad news as often you're then made to be at fault as 'you told them to buy it...'.As mentioned above, the best route forwards is a complete reset, take it back to factory settings remove everything. That may or may not help. If it doesn't there's little more you can do.

Got to love a down arrow with no constructive comment to back it up. Queue more down arrows...

I have two ipad 2 for my kids to play on, yes these were very vast when they were running ios 7 and 8, but the latest 9.3.5 slows it right down, I slightly fixed it by doing a full backup and restore, seems better but not great, you will need to do this via iTunes and laptop and not ota updates

I too have an ipad2, was my wife's cast off..
I too found it was 'very' laggy compared to hers...
but not only that i was very laggy compared to my old Moto Xoom tablet.
and i 'know' it was the other way around when i bought her the ipad2.

for apple or anyone to say 'that just how it is' is utter bullcrap.
the processor in it is still tremendously fast and powerful for what it is doing most of the time.
if its laggy... its because the software is making it laggy.

if you dont get any joy removing apps...
full reset and reinstall only whats needed.
if your friends ipad2 is anything like mine... its full of loads of crap apps that have been tried and forgotten about.
i went through all my apps and removed more than half..
and that def. made if feel faster again.

richdee

I too have an ipad2, was my wife's cast off..I too found it was 'very' … I too have an ipad2, was my wife's cast off..I too found it was 'very' laggy compared to hers... but not only that i was very laggy compared to my old Moto Xoom tablet.and i 'know' it was the other way around when i bought her the ipad2.for apple or anyone to say 'that just how it is' is utter bullcrap.the processor in it is still tremendously fast and powerful for what it is doing most of the time.if its laggy... its because the software is making it laggy.if you dont get any joy removing apps...full reset and reinstall only whats needed.if your friends ipad2 is anything like mine... its full of loads of crap apps that have been tried and forgotten about.i went through all my apps and removed more than half.. and that def. made if feel faster again.

I thought that was going to be a poem the way you structured that post! I was very disappointed ;-)

Yes, you are correct it is still a relatively powerful CPU. But it is a different CPU. If every app maker, had to support all the versions of iOS etc. it would take them a huge amount of time and money to do so. This is one of the reasons the whole Android platform is so fragmented.

I'm still using my ipad2. Over the last few months I have found it very laggy. I was told that any tablet is considered obsolete after 3 years old because new technology evolves so quickly. I haven't got any apps on mine only bookmarked websites as I only browse the Internet. Couple of weeks ago I bought a refurbished 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab A via o2 on a deal found on here for £52.99, yet to switch over to it as I'm so used to the iPad.
If your friend is willing to try an android tablet then keep checking for these refurbished tablet deals on here as they pop up quite frequently.

It's just something that Apple do the updates are designed to slow your device down! they do deny this but anyone whose got an apple device apart from ipods will know after a few updates they become very slow!

dafunq

It's just something that Apple do the updates are designed to slow your … It's just something that Apple do the updates are designed to slow your device down! they do deny this but anyone whose got an apple device apart from ipods will know after a few updates they become very slow!

It's the tin foil hat brigade who thinks that. With all these technologists across the world why have they never proved it? Apple would be in serious trouble if that was proven to be the case.

Apple been doing this since iPhone 3gs
I have had 4/5 I phones developed software or hardware issues after 3/4 years right after last update
Yes they r easy n secure but they are no Ericsson 338 and don't last for more than 5 years.
Google WiFi greyed out after update
Charging port stopped after update
There are dozen other issues which develop overnight after a '' new update''

Typcial apple, but its end of life welcome to the world of apple and technology in general.

Anything older than 3 years is old in apples eyes.

I sold my iPad 2 a good few years ago for an Air, as even then safari was getting buggy.

I tend to flog all apple kit after 2 years for minimum loss and buy the latest one not ideal but other wise you end up with an expensive paper weight.

kids ipad 2s have been like this for a while, cant even read webpages, son saved up to upgrade to an air2 light years ahead. We have an ipad 3, nothing updated no new apps added and suddenlty 6 months ago it started to do what the 2s were doing. Refreshed back to new settings and still the same, its like Apple automatically slowed down the machines after a certain age, and I know that's not the case but.....

googleboogle

Typcial apple, but its end of life welcome to the world of apple and … Typcial apple, but its end of life welcome to the world of apple and technology in general.Anything older than 3 years is old in apples eyes.I sold my iPad 2 a good few years ago for an Air, as even then safari was getting buggy.I tend to flog all apple kit after 2 years for minimum loss and buy the latest one not ideal but other wise you end up with an expensive paper weight.

I do a similar thing. Maximum i'll keep it is three years. I really look after things, and always try to get the best deal when first buying it to help out with the depreciation.

Both the ipad 2 and 3 are utter **** and I own the ipad 3 32GB version. I got mine for around £220 off amazon 3 years ago and it was old tech then. I can remember about a year ago for getting flamed over suggesting the ipad 2 was crap due to the lack of retina.
Tell your relative that the internet and world has changed in the last 6 years with much more demand.
Apple devices have an optimised UI so it runs real quick and snappy but it's background task suffer. As the UI becomes more advanced it starts to lag. Since every application uses the new UI you end up with a very slow ipad.

Edited by: "kester76" 3rd Feb

Either you've never owned a new ipad/ipad or never updated one the proof is from people who owned/updated

dafunq

Either you've never owned a new ipad/ipad or never updated one the … Either you've never owned a new ipad/ipad or never updated one the proof is from people who owned/updated

Not sure who that was a response to? If it was me, then yes I have owned many iPads and look after them for my company which includes multiple iPhones.

I think in the past it was you could locate and install an older OS version through unofficial 3rd party software.

Not sure if you can still do this though.

Caulcano

I think in the past it was you could locate and install an older OS … I think in the past it was you could locate and install an older OS version through unofficial 3rd party software. Not sure if you can still do this though.

I would jail break and overclock the thing as it would give it a new kick of life.
Also look at macworld.co.uk/how…09/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3599
    2. Boredom11
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)72568
    4. Add one, leave one game54415474

See more discussions