solar power advice/help needed

8 replies
Found 29th Jun 2009
i am wanting to buy some solar power stuff but i don't understand how much power i will need.

as a rough estimate i am wanting to run a fridge, about 4 light bulbs, say the low power ones 20watt each, about 4 stand fans.

anyone any ideas on solar power??

8 Comments

I have been thinking about doing this too. At the moment I charge a portable battery pack this was, and then plug my mobiles and other small devices into it. Maplin have various kits that might help. Let us know how you get on.

Banned

How about we all chip in and buy those 2 wind turbines for sale at £300k they can power 1,000 homes for a year apparently.

What I do recommend to you is give The Solar Centre a ring on 01727 866326. They've got great customer service and willing to talk on the phone and probably know everything you'll need to know about solar panels. Plus when buying from them, if you enter the code solar09, you'll receive 10% off everything!!

To the OP, I would say you'll need a couple of 180w panels and around 300 ah of backup battery to run the setup you've mentioned as well as a good voltage regulator and a good voltage transformer to get it from 12v to 240v. This is a bit of a guess as it's similar to what I needed.

It's not just having solar panels, it's having the batteries to store the charge the panels give out and having the right amount of panels to give more current than you are needing so it is replenishing the batteries on dull days.

Give them a ring.

I've been wanting to get into this stuff for years , but just never knew the best way of getting started . I would of liked the solar water heaters too . I managed to buy a couple of inverters a while back and they seem to work good from a 12v source . The next step was to buy some 60/80W solar panels and some deep cycle batteries [ there on ebay] and then see how it goes . but , like most things I havn't got round to anything yet .I'd be interested to read the replys and see how others are doing .

Original Poster

thanks a lot for your helpfull reply mate, i was looking to buy something around the 400 - 500 watt panels, but after reading through the net i really got confused as to how much i would need, i don't understand the ratings, say if a solar panel rating is 100watt, what does that mean, will i get 100watt constantly produced from the panels, or is it 100watt within the hour? i actually need these to take abroad, a country with a lot of sun, i will still need a good battery for night but may not need much power, but im not sure.

once again thanks

stefor;5621210

What I do recommend to you is give The Solar Centre a ring on 01727 … What I do recommend to you is give The Solar Centre a ring on 01727 866326. They've got great customer service and willing to talk on the phone and probably know everything you'll need to know about solar panels. Plus when buying from them, if you enter the code solar09, you'll receive 10% off everything!!To the OP, I would say you'll need a couple of 180w panels and around 300 ah of backup battery to run the setup you've mentioned as well as a good voltage regulator and a good voltage transformer to get it from 12v to 240v. This is a bit of a guess as it's similar to what I needed.It's not just having solar panels, it's having the batteries to store the charge the panels give out and having the right amount of panels to give more current than you are needing so it is replenishing the batteries on dull days.Give them a ring.

dude786;5621610

thanks a lot for your helpfull reply mate, i was looking to buy something … thanks a lot for your helpfull reply mate, i was looking to buy something around the 400 - 500 watt panels, but after reading through the net i really got confused as to how much i would need, i don't understand the ratings, say if a solar panel rating is 100watt, what does that mean, will i get 100watt constantly produced from the panels, or is it 100watt within the hour? i actually need these to take abroad, a country with a lot of sun, i will still need a good battery for night but may not need much power, but im not sure.once again thanks

Is max 100watt constant while in light, these days the panels only need light, not bright sunshine, it could be dull and you'd still get 100watts. You'd have to find out the consumption of the freezer (in Watts) to make sure the inverter will take it. Your low Watt lights take nothing compared to your freezer, so you may end up getting an inverter thats pretty high just for the freezer.

Like I said, give them a ring, they're really approachable. God I sound like I'm on commission. I can't believe on another thread I've just been called for trying to giving help to people!!

Original Poster

fantastic mate, you've been a great help, even if you were an advertiser for the company i wouldn't care as you've helped me out a lot and others i hope also, rep left:thumbsup:

stefor;5623576

Is max 100watt constant while in light, these days the panels only need … Is max 100watt constant while in light, these days the panels only need light, not bright sunshine, it could be dull and you'd still get 100watts. You'd have to find out the consumption of the freezer (in Watts) to make sure the inverter will take it. Your low Watt lights take nothing compared to your freezer, so you may end up getting an inverter thats pretty high just for the freezer.Like I said, give them a ring, they're really approachable. God I sound like I'm on commission. I can't believe on another thread I've just been called for trying to giving help to people!!

Usually the best bet is to hook up the panels to a bank of batteries and run the stuff from there.
I have 4x15w panels here and use them to charge a couple of Freecharge Weza units. So I always have the power on tap when I need it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whatsup number, confused44
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    3. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    4. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21

See more discussions