Solar powered outdoor light with adjustable sensor

Posted 22nd Nov
I'd like to fit a solar powered light to the front of the house which lights up when someone approaches the front door but not whenever someone happens to walk past the house.

Does anyone know if you can get solar powered lights with adjustable sensors? All the ones I've seen look like the sensors are probably fixed in position.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
You could mask the sensor at the top, so it can't "see" so much.
Just a thought though, why care of it's solar?
esar22/11/2019 13:58

You could mask the sensor at the top, so it can't "see" so much.Just a …You could mask the sensor at the top, so it can't "see" so much.Just a thought though, why care of it's solar?

If it's solar all I have to do is drill a couple of holes and I can fix it to the wall myself. Mains powered means I have to also pay a sparky to wire it up.
spoo22/11/2019 14:46

If it's solar all I have to do is drill a couple of holes and I can fix it …If it's solar all I have to do is drill a couple of holes and I can fix it to the wall myself. Mains powered means I have to also pay a sparky to wire it up.

I was meaning if the sensor triggered as someone was walking past, would it matter if it's charged by the sun
esar22/11/2019 14:53

I was meaning if the sensor triggered as someone was walking past, would …I was meaning if the sensor triggered as someone was walking past, would it matter if it's charged by the sun

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

I live on a fairly busy street, the light would probably spend as much time on as it's off in early evening. My concern is on dull winter days the solar cell wouldn't charge the battery that much so all the passing foot traffic could flatten the battery when I actually want the light to come on.
spoo22/11/2019 15:02

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.I live on a fairly busy street, the light would …Ah sorry, I misunderstood.I live on a fairly busy street, the light would probably spend as much time on as it's off in early evening. My concern is on dull winter days the solar cell wouldn't charge the battery that much so all the passing foot traffic could flatten the battery when I actually want the light to come on.

I think you'd have to cover the lense sensor thingy, so it can only "see" the infrared almost straight down.
Picking one that faces down would be a good option, perhaps an all in one
Something like this
diy.com/dep…prd
And painting or shading the sensor
esar22/11/2019 16:42

I think you'd have to cover the lense sensor thingy, so it can only "see" …I think you'd have to cover the lense sensor thingy, so it can only "see" the infrared almost straight down.Picking one that faces down would be a good option, perhaps an all in oneSomething like this https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-summerside-matt-black-solar-powered-led-flood-light/3663602895473_BQ.prdAnd painting or shading the sensor

Thanks, covering up the sensor sounds like a good work around. I could experiment with tape before making a more permanent mod.

It's mainly so I can see what I'm doing properly when unlocking the door at night so something which only lights up when I'm right next to the house would be fine.
Would this be too small, it's not solar powered, but lasts a long time, I out my dear batteries in them and they seem to pull the last dribble of power out of the batteries
amazon.co.uk/Gad…ZX3
Edited by: "esar" 22nd Nov
esar22/11/2019 17:38

Would this be too small, it's not solar powered, but lasts a long time, I …Would this be too small, it's not solar powered, but lasts a long time, I out my dear batteries in them and they seem to pull the last dribble of power out of the batterieshttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaddrt-Keyhole-Wireless-Detector-Anywhere/dp/B074JY5ZX3

Thanks, that's another option to consider,
spoo24/11/2019 20:18

Thanks, that's another option to consider,

I swear I typed "I put my dead batteries....." flippin autocorrect has a lot to answer for!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants