Solar reflective film for Windows to reduce solar flare and heat

Found 25th Jun
I have just purchased a portable AC unit from Amazon (9000 BTU) and set it up with the exhaust pipe out the window and bubblewrap as a temporary measure to cover the open section of the window until the zipped window seal I also purchased arrives from Amazon.

However it is soooooooooo unbelievably hot where I live and it is my first summer here. My first winter in the property last winter was unbelievably freezing.

I am looking into solar reflective film to put on the windows (single glazed very fragile glass). The window frames are aluminium and too hot to touch even in the early hours of the morning and all the sealant around the window frames has dried out and cracked. Has anyone purchased any of this film? If so where did you buy it from? There are some really inexpensive options on eBay, some under 20 pound options on Amazon and a couple of websites where I cannot see any prices but the film comes with a ten year guarantee and is apparently good for both summer and winter.

It is a council flat so I will probably be here until I die so probably 50+ years. However the windows may get replaced to double glazed windows at some point...so I may not want to purchase super expensive film with a ten year guarantee. However I might want to still as it might help me a lot in both summer and winter? This is what I would also like to ask for help and advice to decide.

Half my estate got double glazed windows and fire doors; the work had just been completed. I have been told there are no immediate plans to do my half of the estate (40 properties but some are owner occupied and only some are still council). They only replaced the windows on the other half of the estate for the council properties, some of the owner occupied ones were already double glazed but some were still single glazed and they have been left untouched.

So my guess would be within 2 years I might get double glazed windows...it took 6 months for just a few houses to get the double glazed windows and fire doors as the staff worked here and there with many weeks gap between any work taking place.

So I would really love advice on what to do that would be best for around two years...rather than 10 years+.

I have zero DIY skills but I am trying to learn some basic skills. I have just purchased a drill and drill bits to potentially put up blinds or curtains but film is easiest to apply and doesn't require special tools.

Thank you for any thoughts and advice.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I don't think any sort of film will protect you from a full on solar flare...
For example

purlfrost.com/mir…lm/

Solar film and tinted window films are designed for home and office use, to mitigate the negative effects of the sun by targeting excess heat, glare, light and UV.

There are many types and at very different price points.
Edited by: "Yogi4L" 25th Jun
ipswich7825th Jun

I don't think any sort of film will protect you from a full on solar …I don't think any sort of film will protect you from a full on solar flare...

Wouldn't tin foil work
Black out blinds are a godsend . I hate this weather , bring back winter .
I've looked at this option. Solar tint will work if on the outside. We have blackout blinds but doesn't stop the heat. 3 1200 x 1200 velux windows was a mistake as like giant radiators. Smaller ones would have been better.. Green House glass paint that's temporary is also an option I considered
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Jun
wayners6 h, 31 m ago

I've looked at this option. Solar tint will work if on the outside. We …I've looked at this option. Solar tint will work if on the outside. We have blackout blinds but doesn't stop the heat. 3 1200 x 1200 velux windows was a mistake as like giant radiators. Smaller ones would have been better.. Green House glass paint that's temporary is also an option I considered

You can get roller units that go on the outside of your velux windows.
velux.co.uk/pro…ers
Unbelievably hot in summer and unbelievable cold in winter suggests a lack of insulation. If you can get that sorted, it will probably help more than film/blinds etc
I don't think I can get it sorted as I don't own it.

But yes where I lived before if I put the heating on only on like the coldest two days of the year and then switched the radiators off asap the heat seemed to stay in the walls for 8 to 10 hours. And it got hot in summer but not to this sauna level.
Edited by: "Yogi4L" 25th Jun
Lidl tend to sell mirror film for House Windows. Might be worth popping in there, or asking.
I have some on some of my windows and it does stop heat but makes the room darker.
Edited by: "RichSturman" 25th Jun
kester7611 h, 6 m ago

You can get roller units that go on the outside of your velux …You can get roller units that go on the outside of your velux windows.https://www.velux.co.uk/products/blinds-and-shutters/roller-shutters

I got 3 1200mm x 1200mm.. Hum.. I'll slap paint on of use cardboard I think. We have insulation as all the plasterboard is cold to the touch even though it's a loft conversion but the glass is red hot. Black out blinds do nothing to stop the heat. Might paste lining papers over. That will come off easy
Edited by: "wayners" 26th Jun
wayners4 h, 58 m ago

I got 3 1200mm x 1200mm.. Hum.. I'll slap paint on of use cardboard I …I got 3 1200mm x 1200mm.. Hum.. I'll slap paint on of use cardboard I think. We have insulation as all the plasterboard is cold to the touch even though it's a loft conversion but the glass is red hot. Black out blinds do nothing to stop the heat. Might paste lining papers over. That will come off easy

I don't think they're black out blinds but roller shutters. You need to prevent the sun from hitting the glass, once it has hit the glass then you're fighting a losing battle
kester7658 m ago

I don't think they're black out blinds but roller shutters. You need to …I don't think they're black out blinds but roller shutters. You need to prevent the sun from hitting the glass, once it has hit the glass then you're fighting a losing battle

Yeah. Been looking at greenhouse paint that will wash off eventually. You paint on the glass outside so I wonder if that will help?
wayners1 h, 15 m ago

Yeah. Been looking at greenhouse paint that will wash off eventually. You … Yeah. Been looking at greenhouse paint that will wash off eventually. You paint on the glass outside so I wonder if that will help?

Not sure but I think the shutters have the added advantage of extra insulation in the winter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants