Sold a brand new GoPro, eBay buyer sent back a broken one after 1 month

Found 20th Jul
This is the original case :hotukdeals.com/com…451
Let me tell you the whole things. I had sold a brand new and Sealed GoPro Hero 5 more than 1 month ago, the buyer used 2 weeks and then opened a case and asked for return. Because he said the water leak in the screen.After I contact eBay CS, I accepted the return. Ebay CS said I better accept the return and then check the condition of GoPro. After 15 days, Today I received the return, What I got is a heavily used (scratchs everywhere), Screen and battery everywhere has water marks. and GoPro totally does not work (Cannot turn on) .
I contacted GoPro, they refuse warranty for any water damages.
I contacted CS, guess what?? They suggest me to call police or negotiate with buyer, like stupidly ask them did they accept partial refund?
And amazingly, buyer said no and ask for refund immediately , otherwise he gonna escalate case blah blah....
As a overseas student with 20K education loan, now I'm gonna pay the bill by my own.
Really frustrated. And what can I do now?? For real? Call police? : (
Community Updates
Top comments
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 1 m ago

Why does anybody well stuff on ebay? Full of con artists

That is why I use shpock now, cash on collection only, they get to see the item working, no complaints later on.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 21st Jul
27 Comments
And yup, serial number is matching.
Sellers should be wary of eBay it appears
Police will not help.
Can you upload pics showing state returned in?
Curious from that angle of if you have a claim for it not being used appropriately from the buyer or not.

Also was it advertised as waterproof?

This link describes similar:community.gopro.com/t5/…845

So if they are refusing as they advertise the goods the point to chase is who your contract is with that follows who you paid monies too.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 20th Jul
To be honest you probably advertised as new or similar, so buyer expects it to work with abuse. Theres next to nothing you can do as you advertised it as new which gives the buyer the same rights as when bought from a shop. It's not a police matter.
Also ebay doesn't give 2 money onkeys about a 20k loan. You agreed and loaned it!
Why did you accept the return? I don’t see that you have much chance with eBay if you agreed that they could return it.
MonkeysUncle1 m ago

To be honest you probably advertised as new or similar, so buyer expects …To be honest you probably advertised as new or similar, so buyer expects it to work with abuse. Theres next to nothing you can do as you advertised it as new which gives the buyer the same rights as when bought from a shop. It's not a police matter.Also ebay doesn't give 2 money onkeys about a 20k loan. You agreed and loaned it!

thanks for your cruel reply.But thats true.
farmlama1 m ago

Why did you accept the return? I don’t see that you have much chance with e …Why did you accept the return? I don’t see that you have much chance with eBay if you agreed that they could return it.

eBay CS induced me to click accept return, they said we should check the condition of the item right? so accept return first, then lets see. Now they just wanna leave me alone.
nbwuwd6 m ago

thanks for your cruel reply.But thats true.

Sorry. I was just trying to state facts.
You have to be really careful when selling anything anywhere as it's always buyer always has the rights.
MonkeysUncle12 m ago

To be honest you probably advertised as new or similar, so buyer expects …To be honest you probably advertised as new or similar, so buyer expects it to work with abuse. Theres next to nothing you can do as you advertised it as new which gives the buyer the same rights as when bought from a shop. It's not a police matter.Also ebay doesn't give 2 money onkeys about a 20k loan. You agreed and loaned it!

That's simply not true. That's only if the op is a business seller. The op doesn't legally have to refund, Ebay/Paypal will screw him though and pursue them if they don't refund :(.

Op, Do not refund at this stage. Do you have the original pics of it as new and sealed?. If it's been returned in poor abused condition then let them escallate it. Ebay should side with you if you can prove the original condition.

You have accepted the return on the basis that it is returned in the same condition as you posted it. It's clearly been mistreated if it's been physically damaged etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 20th Jul
34439847-qeFf4.jpg
34439847-F2Thz.jpg
nbwuwd11 m ago

[Image] [Image]

Forgetting the water ingress that looks used as designed rather than heavily abused - if smashed in pieces and clearly damaged by the user mis using you would have a dispute with the buyer. The scratch on screen is minor cosmetic - water ingress is the functional issue.

Water ingress - I see even the box shows it being dropped into water. You need to go to who sold you the device stating water has ingressed and manufacturer is refusing your warranty claim whilst clearly the device is designed to not take on water.

Also how long ago did you buy the go pro - 6 months is the important demarcation.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 20th Jul
nbwuwd10 m ago

[Image] [Image]

Is that damage in the bottom right corner? I think Ebay would side with you. Tell them you're not willing to refund as it's clearly not in the same condition as you sent it in.
34439957-BHIGO.jpg
.MUFC.4 m ago

Is that damage in the bottom right corner? I think Ebay would side with …Is that damage in the bottom right corner? I think Ebay would side with you. Tell them you're not willing to refund as it's clearly not in the same condition as you sent it in. [Image]

Power led
Bertz9920th Jul

Power led

I guess it's hard to tell then. Water could ingress from anywhere then :(.

It's hard to tell so the buyer could be telling the truth.
Sounds like the item broke with normal use. The buyer sends it back to you and you send it back to wherever you got it from. What do you expect the buyer to do in this situation, wouldn't you do the same?
Bertz9920th Jul

Forgetting the water ingress that looks used as designed rather than …Forgetting the water ingress that looks used as designed rather than heavily abused - if smashed in pieces and clearly damaged by the user mis using you would have a dispute with the buyer. The scratch on screen is minor cosmetic - water ingress is the functional issue.Water ingress - I see even the box shows it being dropped into water. You need to go to who sold you the device stating water has ingressed and manufacturer is refusing your warranty claim whilst clearly the device is designed to not take on water. Also how long ago did you buy the go pro - 6 months is the important demarcation.

I got my Brand New GoPro 2 months ago, I will try to contact with seller. Thanks for your advice.
MIDURIX19 m ago

Sounds like the item broke with normal use. The buyer sends it back to you …Sounds like the item broke with normal use. The buyer sends it back to you and you send it back to wherever you got it from. What do you expect the buyer to do in this situation, wouldn't you do the same?

Thanks for your advice. I will try to contact distributor.
In my experience eBay ALWAYS comes in on the buyer's side I'm afraid you will have you have learnt a harsh lesson.
You posted already about this.

I remember your previous thread.

You got back a used item, that's battered and shows water ingress.

Use this and appeal the decision to refund the buyer and state no fault was present when the buyer took delivery of the item. Buyer clearly used the item and abused it and broke it. Send pics as further evidence.

Paypal and eBay money back guarantee aren't warranties. Any fault has to be present from the point of delivery.
From what I can see the buyer used the item and probably mistreated it (the camera will be water resistant only up to a certain depth and up to a certain amount of time) and they're now trying to use the eBay claim as a sort of warranty.
Edited by: "hearts22" 20th Jul
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 20th Jul
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 1 m ago

That is why I use shpock now, cash on collection only, they get to see the item working, no complaints later on.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 21st Jul
How are people still getting ripped off on eBay in 2018?
Snakeyes6467 h, 43 m ago

How are people still getting ripped off on eBay in 2018?

Because they use eBay?!?
I don't sell anything worth more than £20 on eBay now cos of the amount of scammers on there!
cmdr_elito6 h, 24 m ago

Because they use eBay?!?

.... So people should maybe learn and stay clear is my point.
Snakeyes6461 m ago

.... So people should maybe learn and stay clear is my point.

I know my point too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants