Sold a Samsung Tablet on eBay - now this...

Posted 13th Oct
Hi Guys

I sold a Samsung tablet on eBay a few weeks ago - it went to America and today I’ve received this below message, I’m not particularly tech minded but he’s asking for my google account password, which i don’t feel comfortable with.
I haven’t responded to him as yet but does the below message seem like a scammer or is he infact being true that’s he’s struggling to activate it??.....

“New message from: ##### (1)
Hey there. I have received the Tablet and it is in a good condition and it is functional. There is however a problem with setting it up. After setting up the WiFi, the next step is to log into my Google account, however this is impossible.

After doing some research,( techwelkin.com/dev…ced )
I found out that due to a anti-theft feature which is available in Android 5.1 (Lollipop) and above. There’s a feature called Factory Reset Protection (FRP). All the phones from manufacturers like Samsung, Moto, HTC, Sony, Lenovo etc. that are using Android Lollipop or above will have this feature. Once signed in with a Google Account, Android will not allow you to change the Google Account. This is done so that, if your phone is stolen, the phone becomes useless for the thief.

However, the same feature becomes a big problem if you have legally bought the phone and the previous owner has not removed his Google account completely from the device before handing it over. While buying a used mobile phone, it is necessary to have the old Google Account removed by the previous owner.

Do you think it’s possible for us to arrange something? Perhaps we could exchange Google account information. I can give you my Google account information as collateral. Once the situation is resolved, I can then change my password, as well as yourself straight afterwards.
I understand if you do not feel comfortable doing this, but it’s the easiest and most straight forward solution.
The only other way is to get an OTG drive and install an APK to gain access, which I don’t have. ( youtube.com/watch?v=DJ8_qbj1DPQ)

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,
David.”
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Yeah
To disable Factory Reset Protection, you need to remove your Google account before you sold tablet. Have you removed the tablet from your account? Sign in at google and remove tablet then maybe that will fix. Only other way is to get it back and refund
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Oct
Set a temporary password on your Google account. Then give them it whilst speaking to them on the phone. As soon as logged out bam change password. Any other method will cost you
42 Comments
He then followed up his message with a second message as per below....

New message from: ###### (1)

“So, just to update the situation. I’ve acquired an OTG drive and tried to follow the procedures as shown on the video, however with no avail.
I feel as though the only solution is to log in using your Google account.”
"Exchange Google account information", lol. Massive, massive red flag. Tell him no, you absolutely won't do that, maybe even report the message to EBay as a potential scam.
Yeah
To disable Factory Reset Protection, you need to remove your Google account before you sold tablet. Have you removed the tablet from your account? Sign in at google and remove tablet then maybe that will fix. Only other way is to get it back and refund
FRP is a thing and the guy is correct that he can't log in to the tablet without it being released.

It used to be possible for you to log into your google account and release a device - but that option seems to have been removed. I suspect that the only way forward is for him to be able to log in to your account so that he can get in and set up his own account on the tablet.
Under no circumstances give him your log in details.
wayners13/10/2019 11:29

Yeah To disable Factory Reset Protection, you need to remove your Google …Yeah To disable Factory Reset Protection, you need to remove your Google account before your sold tablet. Have you removed the tablet from your account? Sign in at google and remove tablet then maybe that will fix. Only other way is to get it back and refund

I’m pretty sure I just wiped the tablet - but I’m sure I did not remove the tablet from my account
Get and remove then. Easy enough. Everyone should sign in and check google security settings at least once a year. Then message buyer to factory reset again and with any luck all will be good. I don't know this for fact but worth a try.
wayners13/10/2019 11:47

Get and remove then. Easy enough. Everyone should sign in and check google …Get and remove then. Easy enough. Everyone should sign in and check google security settings at least once a year. Then message buyer to factory reset again and with any luck all will be good. I don't know this for fact but worth a try.

The option to remove the device doesn't seem to exist any more - you can remotely log out, which might work? but you used to be able to remove your account remotely.
If you have sold someone something which they cannot use because you neglected to prepare it for their use it is your duty to sort out IMO. Perhaps contact Google to see if they are able to help
mas9913/10/2019 11:50

The option to remove the device doesn't seem to exist any more - you can …The option to remove the device doesn't seem to exist any more - you can remotely log out, which might work? but you used to be able to remove your account remotely.

Yes you can remove devises. I've removed devises that died or throw out
38657924.jpg
refund the guy and tell him to do what he likes with the tablet. chalk it up to experience
Set a temporary password on your Google account. Then give them it whilst speaking to them on the phone. As soon as logged out bam change password. Any other method will cost you
wayners13/10/2019 12:40

Yes you can remove devises [Image]

I see that but I don't see the remove device option that used to be there which allowed frp disable.
mas9913/10/2019 12:52

I see that but I don't see the remove device option that used to be there …I see that but I don't see the remove device option that used to be there which allowed frp disable.

3 little dots then sign out
wayners13/10/2019 13:31

Does signing out release the device then? I thought that it would just be likew signing out on the device - leaves the device needing you to log in but keeps the account present and with frp in place?
Edited by: "mas99" 13th Oct
nick198113/10/2019 11:43

I’m pretty sure I just wiped the tablet - but I’m sure I did not remove the …I’m pretty sure I just wiped the tablet - but I’m sure I did not remove the tablet from my account

If you've wiped the tablet,you've wiped your google account .
AW007913/10/2019 13:49

Clearly not from this thread!
I honestly had no idea about all this google account stuff.
If there is no way of me able to do anything now he has the item, do u suggest best way forwards is he returns the item and i issue a refund?

The item was sold for £65 so if it was say a tenner I’d just let him keep it and refund him.
mas9913/10/2019 13:32

Does signing out release the device then? I thought that it would just …Does signing out release the device then? I thought that it would just be likew signing out on the device - leaves the device needing you to log in but keeps the account present and with frp in place?

Good question. I thought its the way you release from the account. Has nothing to do with it anymore.
nick198113/10/2019 14:20

I honestly had no idea about all this google account stuff.If there is no …I honestly had no idea about all this google account stuff.If there is no way of me able to do anything now he has the item, do u suggest best way forwards is he returns the item and i issue a refund?The item was sold for £65 so if it was say a tenner I’d just let him keep it and refund him.

Yes you can. Go to pc or any android devise that is yours. Type in google search box...google security. There you will find devices linked. Less than 15 seconds to sort out. It's simple and very clear.
wayners13/10/2019 14:48

Yes you can. Go to pc or any android devise that is yours. Type in google …Yes you can. Go to pc or any android devise that is yours. Type in google search box...google security. There you will find devices linked. Less than 15 seconds to sort out. It's simple and very clear.

I will give this a try later today and hopefully get it sorted.
Will post an update in here if any problems:
For everyone reading this. Go have a look at
myaccount.google.com/sec…kup

Remove (log out) old devises and see if you are happy with what is shown in your account
wayners13/10/2019 14:55

For everyone reading this. Go have a look at …For everyone reading this. Go have a look at https://myaccount.google.com/security-checkupRemove (log out) old devises and see if you are happy with what is shown in your account

Interesting - that page is offering remove device - but only on old devices that I haven't touched for ages.
mas9913/10/2019 15:20

Interesting - that page is offering remove device - but only on old …Interesting - that page is offering remove device - but only on old devices that I haven't touched for ages.

Well remove them then. Don't think you can remove the one your using to view settings though. That makes sense..
AW007913/10/2019 13:49

Wrong.
Ok before selling electric device it needs full factory reset, there might be a way round your problem go on to google sign in on a computer and go to settings look for device's associated with your google account look for tablet then click remove
Edited by: "_Tris_" 13th Oct
Well ask him what adress does he see, if it’s yours (and you haven’t given it to him at any point) then his query is legit.
If you have nothing important in your email then just delete the payment method on google play, delete all emails and give him the password and change it afterwards. If you can’t, in case your email is in constant use, then you’ll just have to ask him to return the item for a refund, just bare in mind that the shipping back will cost you not him.
AW007913/10/2019 16:22

When i've wiped a phone,it's wiped .

It is wiped but when it restarts it will ask for the previously Google account associated with it. Unless you have previously logged out and removed your google account.

This is a security feature of Android since 5. So, if you say what you say, then you must have had an old phone or you’ve logged out.
There is away around it without the password but it’s long winded . I’ve removed a few in the past .

He’s rite and it’s your problem as you should have done it . He can’t active the device without your login details
AW007913/10/2019 16:22

When i've wiped a phone,it's wiped .

It will always require Google account login if your Android phone is relatively new. This is to stop people stealing the phone and hard resetting it.
emodan13/10/2019 12:48

Set a temporary password on your Google account. Then give them it whilst …Set a temporary password on your Google account. Then give them it whilst speaking to them on the phone. As soon as logged out bam change password. Any other method will cost you

This is what I would suggest is the best course of action unless there are confidential emails linked to the account. Immediately change password and remove the tablet from device list once this is done.
tardytortoise13/10/2019 12:45

refund the guy and tell him to do what he likes with the tablet. chalk it …refund the guy and tell him to do what he likes with the tablet. chalk it up to experience

Why on earth would he do that?
If he wants to give the guy a refund and go through that process then he should receive the tablet back first. It could even be that there is nothing truly wrong with it. Saying that he should let the buyer keep it is just bizarre. That's the exact thing that a scammer would want you to do.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 13th Oct
wayners13/10/2019 13:31

I have followed your instructions, logged into Google and signed out of that device.

I have messaged the buyer to inform him and asked him to now try logging into the tablet to see if it has worked...... i will await his response. (fingers crossed)
any update?
fern3717/10/2019 00:42

any update?

Yes mate
I followed the instructions and disabled the device from my google account but the buyer said it still didn’t work.

He’s sending it me back and I’ve agreed to refund
When I sold my ps vita, I didn't realise the games were locked to my account! Think I managed to change it to the buyers email address then put in a password for him to use then change and got round it that way but was worried for days. Luckily he was understanding and willing to work with me. We couldn't get one game to work so I bought it new and sent it to him.

I've always just done a password reset before but have now started uninstalling certain apps before I do the reset now.
Hi Guys - heres the latest update....

Today i have received the tablet back - and the buyer says he wants to keep the tablet as hes paid for it, he just wants me to log out of it and send it him back.

How / where do i specifically log out of the device so that i can send it him back, so that he can this time use it without it being locked out for him???

Any youtube step by step videos i can follow please?
I sold a tablet,thankfully UK only.Wiped it only for the buyer to say the same thing. Thought he was trying it on as he was asking for my password,so had him return it.
Ended up getting it back and chucking it in a cupboard.

*Sorry,this doesn't help you OP*
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants