Sold item at Ebay and forgot to get proof of purchase from post office :(

Found 17th Jan 2015
Hi guys recently sold kids stuff at Ebay and forgot to get proof of purchase .. Buyers message me saying she didn't revived it yet . Although I post it first class as per her request .. I have no proof of purchase and she wants refund . Is there any possibilities that I can get compensation from Royal Mail ? Thanx in advance htuk dealers xx
Community Updates
AskOffice
15 Comments
No chance. Unless you sent it Special Delivery, youll get nothing in compensation.
I don't think so without proof of postage. Did you pay cash? If you paid card might be able to use your bank statement?
Is there any chance it has just been delayed? How long has passed since you posted it? Unfortunately you will not be able to get any compensation without some form of proof.
No chance of compensation without a receipt, its hard enough with a receipt X)

How long has it been though? It may be delayed or they could be trying it on.
Edited by: "joshp" 17th Jan 2015
You mean "proof of postage". That doesn't prove she received item anyway. You should have sent it "signed for".

You will have to refund her or eBay will. Without any proof or receipt that you sent item, royal mail will not give you compensation.

It is not really up to the buyer how they want item sent. The risk is with you as the seller.

Just need to put this one down to experience I am afraid.
Ahh ! Yes I usually send everything signed for but for this item I foolishly send it first class heard somewhere that you can print out Ebay transaction and file for compensation at Royal Mail .. Guess I heard it worng !

Edited by: "Mela" 17th Jan 2015
The maximum compensation you will get from the post office (if anything), is a 1st class stamp. That's why you have to buy insurance or send it recorded or special delivery.
"You should have sent it "signed for".

and that doesn't necessarily mean the person has received it only that it has been signed for by someone.
i will stick my neck out and disagree with everyone. if you used ebay postage that you printed off via a printer, you will notice it has a qr code on it. there's a chance this was scanned by RM at some point, and would therefore show up in their systems. similarly, if you bought postage at the post office, and they printed a label, rather than attaching stamps, the item may well be in the system. itd help if you can remember the date and time and post office that you sent it t.

what you need to do is ask for a compensation form from the post office and follow the instructions. proof of postage would have helped but you may find you don't need it, if you can provide the above.

however, you will only get the value of the item up to £20 in first class stamps, if they decide to give you anything at all.

of course, if all you did is stick stamps on it and then stick in letterbox, don't bother. you're unfortunately out of pocket.
Edited by: "espirit77" 17th Jan 2015
Ellie Phant

"You should have sent it "signed for". and that doesn't necessarily mean … "You should have sent it "signed for". and that doesn't necessarily mean the person has received it only that it has been signed for by someone.

Thats all that's needed for Ebay/Paypal, once it has a signature they will side with the seller
There could be delays due to the bad weather. Double check the maximum duration that ebay allow. Negotiate with the buyer a time scale to wait before any action is taken. In the meantime call your local post office the one you sent it from and ask them is there any daily records and if there is any delays to the area you sent.

I hope it works out for ya.
Ellie Phant

"You should have sent it "signed for". and that doesn't necessarily mean … "You should have sent it "signed for". and that doesn't necessarily mean the person has received it only that it has been signed for by someone.

trouble is with that, the last time i sent something recorded signed for, postman still just chucked it through the letterbox, luckily the buyers were honest, as once the buyer knows you have sent it recorded, if they then receive it through there box and did not have to sign for it, they can just say it has not arrived.
Thanx guys ! I will head to my post office Monday morning ...I totally re ber the time and date do it might help ! Finger crossed .. But I dint know why I feel other end is lying ...because she didn't asked me for solution..she directly jump into refund !
and just to add to that - make sure they open case through eBay before you refund anything. If they are liars and are just trying to get freebee then normally they would of tried the same scam before and will not want eBay to catch on. Plus ebay might even tell them to do one if they think they are scammers.

I think Espiritt77 is right about the postage..
cherrysweet

and just to add to that - make sure they open case through eBay before … and just to add to that - make sure they open case through eBay before you refund anything. If they are liars and are just trying to get freebee then normally they would of tried the same scam before and will not want eBay to catch on. Plus ebay might even tell them to do one if they think they are scammers. I think Espiritt77 is right about the postage..

yes - make sure you get them to open the eBay claim - do not refund before they do this - then it goes on file with eBay against their account.

I would leave them positive feedback 0- after all that is all you are allowed to do - but with something like - REFUNDED DUE TO NO RECEIPT .... in capital so it stands out and others can see it. Won't help you but it may alert other sellers

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants