Expired

Sold Item On eBay Item Not Picked Up From Post Office

9 replies
Found 29th Oct 2009
Last week I sold an item on eBay (expensive item), the item sold and was paid for within 3 minutes of the auction via PayPal. Great up to now, but afterwards, as the buyer only lives about 30 miles from me I tried repeatedly to email them so I could personally deliver the item to them. I thought this would be best because of the postal strikes. After 6 emails and 3 eBay messages they never contacted me, so posted last Saturday morning Special Delivery.

On Monday the Post Office tried to deliver the parcel but got no answer, so left a calling card and took the parcel to the sorting office. Now 4 days on and it still hasn't been picked up and I'm now wondering if this person is going to wait for the parcel to be sent back to me and then contact eBay to get a refund.

It's like they've dropped off the face of the earth or they are going for a chargeback from PayPal as they haven't received it.

What do you think?

1. Misc
  2. Office
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Office
9 Comments

Spoooooooooooooooooooky

Banned

If they don't collect it then it will be returned to you, so you haven't lost anything. If it does don't forget to raise an unpaid item dispute to get your ebay rip off fees back

I once sold a pair of speakers on ebay and it was 2 weeks before the guy made contact with me and paid. It turns out he was on holiday. Like you, as a seller, I would have preferred to be informed beforehand if a buyer wouldn't be about for a while to complete a transaction. It worked out in the end and I got positive feedback too.

they might have died?

always trying to be positive me...

You really need to wait a bit longer, after all they have paid for the item. You cannot file a non paying bidder as they have paid. For all you know they've been in an accident and are in hospital.

The parcel will come back to you and you should hold on to the item for a reasonable amount of time. Be careful though, if you now deliver the item by hand you won't have proof of purchase and they could claim it was never received. If they get in touch I would ask them to pay for repostage.

Never accept paypal and then deliver by hand, in all of those situations take cash to avoid a charge back.

Original Poster

The thing that's annoying me is the item was over 7kg and eBay insisted I couldn't charge more than £14 for postage, but the item had to go Special Delivery because it was worth more than £200. So I had to put the other £7.65 to it because Special was £21.65. If I end up getting it back from the post office and they get a full refund, it'll be me down by the £21.65 and not them!! :x

Original Poster

davelfc;6727551

You really need to wait a bit longer, after all they have paid for the … You really need to wait a bit longer, after all they have paid for the item. You cannot file a non paying bidder as they have paid. For all you know they've been in an accident and are in hospital.The parcel will come back to you and you should hold on to the item for a reasonable amount of time. Be careful though, if you now deliver the item by hand you won't have proof of purchase and they could claim it was never received. If they get in touch I would ask them to pay for repostage. Never accept paypal and then deliver by hand, in all of those situations take cash to avoid a charge back.

Good call. :thumbsup:

Banned

you got off lightly. NEVER deliver an item personally if postage has been paid for as they can just calim for non-arrival from paypal and you have no proof of delivery.

I once sold something where a card was left but the parcel not picked up.

I emailed the buyer to let them know - then got fabulous feedback!! :lol:

The buyer didn't contact me to explain, but I think maybe the card had fallen somewhere unnoticeable? I think the buyer might not have known the card was there at all until I emailed.

Have no idea if this is what happened in your case, but the point is there could be a completely innocent explanation.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Anyone else bored of video gaming57
  2. Add one, leave one game54415446
  3. Orionid meteor shower over the weekend33
  4. word association Game74244918

See more discussions