Sold Laptop on Facebook, 5 days later the buyer wants to return it "Broken"

Found 30th Nov 2017
A week ago on Facebook I sold my Laptop of 5 years and have never had any serious issues with it. There was 2 tiny little faults with it which were a tiny chip in the casing in the side (There was a photo included) and the charger was a tiny bit temperamental. Both of which these faults were in the description of the item and the buyer was fine with it.

5 days after the item was sold I get a message saying that it was no longer working at all and was requesting a full refund which I do find a bit strange because surely you would check it as soon as you get home to make sure it is all working properly plus I had never had any issues with it.

I have been told that the buyers name has been flagged up on sites like this before and that he does have a criminal record. For the mean time I have refused his request for a refund because I feel I may be dealing with a scammer but now I feel something bad may come of the situation.

Any advice would be amazing.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
If your a private seller (which i guess you are if your selling on facebook) then it's sold as seen so the buyer has no legal requirement to get a refund especially as the laptop is 5 years old.

Exactly the same as if you buy a car off a private seller, if something goes wrong a week later then nothing the buyer can do as should all have been checked when picking up and its the gamble you take with buying 2nd hand products!

Just be wary of his criminal record depending on what it would be for as i guess he collected from your house? So knows where you live if he wanted to come round.. So really it's down to whether you want to annoy this person and what repercussions could come out of that. Legally you don't need to give his money back
Edited by: "winifer" 30th Nov 2017
winifer7 m ago

If your a private seller (which i guess you are if your selling on …If your a private seller (which i guess you are if your selling on facebook) then it's sold as seen so the buyer has no legal requirement to get a refund especially as the laptop is 5 years old. Exactly the same as if you buy a car off a private seller, if something goes wrong a week later then nothing the buyer can do as should all have been checked when picking up and its the gamble you take with buying 2nd hand products!Just be wary of his criminal record depending on what it would be for as i guess he collected from your house? So knows where you live if he wanted to come round.. So really it's down to whether you want to annoy this person and what repercussions could come out of that. Legally you don't need to give his money back

He did collect from my house yes and it was more for little theft charges than anything a few other things. Cheers anyway put me at ease a little bit
Ben_Watkins-114814435085911 m ago

He did collect from my house yes and it was more for little theft charges …He did collect from my house yes and it was more for little theft charges than anything a few other things. Cheers anyway put me at ease a little bit

Not like assault charges then, i'd just tell him tough should have tested it working when he picked it up and it's sold as seen.
I've sold a few things recently and wouldn't dream of refunding anyone if they tried! Risk you take with 2nd hand stuff..
Best of luck
winifer1 m ago

Not like assault charges then, i'd just tell him tough should have tested …Not like assault charges then, i'd just tell him tough should have tested it working when he picked it up and it's sold as seen.I've sold a few things recently and wouldn't dream of refunding anyone if they tried! Risk you take with 2nd hand stuff..Best of luck

Nah nothing like that. Cheers for the help bud much appreciated. Been looking for an answer like this for the past few days and not even found anything close. Thank you
He doesn't have a leg to stand on but if he paid by paypal then he may log a dispute with them and anything could happen. Sounds like he targeted you as you're local rather than purchase a laptop that had to be delivered. Who told you of his previous ? Stand your ground and keep all comms in ebay mail so they can see it in the event of a dispute
tallpete333 m ago

He doesn't have a leg to stand on but if he paid by paypal then he may log …He doesn't have a leg to stand on but if he paid by paypal then he may log a dispute with them and anything could happen. Sounds like he targeted you as you're local rather than purchase a laptop that had to be delivered. Who told you of his previous ? Stand your ground and keep all comms in ebay mail so they can see it in the event of a dispute

Was on a facebook for sale page and was cash in hand. I was told his name had flagges up on the for sale pages before. His aunt messaged me and notified me so be sure i googled his name and it popped up on the local paper website in the court section.
Ben_Watkins-11481443508599 m ago

Was on a facebook for sale page and was cash in hand. I was told his name …Was on a facebook for sale page and was cash in hand. I was told his name had flagges up on the for sale pages before. His aunt messaged me and notified me so be sure i googled his name and it popped up on the local paper website in the court section.

Sorry, misread. In that case just tell him no and if he starts hassling you then report him to the rozzers.
Sounds like maybe he has stripped it of working parts to fix another laptop. Quite a common scam on ebay.
Edited by: "emodan" 30th Nov 2017
He doesn't have a case , sold as seen , but sometimes selling things from your home is not the best thing to do . if he feels angry about all he has to do is throw paint stripper on your car or smash a house window when your out , I never sell from my home , I will deliver and they have my number
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants