sold my car but forgot to take buyers sign on v5 documents

Found 8th Feb 2016
hi
i know many of you may think how stupid i m
but it's first time i sold a car!
i sold the car this morning and didn't get buyer to sign v5 documents.
what can I do now?
will DVLA transfer the car over with out buyer signature?
any one can help?

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
14 Comments

Do you have the v5 with his address on? Just scribble a signature and send it off

HamanBasher

Do you have the v5 with his address on? Just scribble a signature and … Do you have the v5 with his address on? Just scribble a signature and send it off

​I believe that's fraud.

Contact the DVLA ASAP and explain the situation. See what they have to say!

They told someone I know to add a cover letter explaining the situation and they would process without the sellers signature. (This was a long while ago though so things may have changed)

Good luck.

still the same, covering letter explaining with a much detail as possible.

still call them as they will add a note against the file.

I'd personally just sign & date it myself if you have all the other info & stop panicking....

He can always update his signature if he really wants to when the new v5 is posted out.

When I sold my previous car, I didn't need the buyer to sign the document. I just filled the online form on DVLA's website and they processed it.
gov.uk/sol…cle

I get a different car every year or so (never happy lol) but did not know you could do the change online. cheers!

for the post, my OH signed form in his name when he picked car up but it was my car. wrote dvla letter along with v5 and they were very helpful

Any way you could contact the buyer?

HamanBasher

Do you have the v5 with his address on? Just scribble a signature and … Do you have the v5 with his address on? Just scribble a signature and send it off

That's what I would do that's what I have done. And if I remember when I went to the post office and sorted everything out from my last car taxing new one i forgot the signature Donald Duck and it was sorted lol

I did same and contacted dvla, they told me to enclose a letter with the v5, just to saying I didn't manage get the owners signature. They were perfectly happy with that. hope this helps you out.

bridtown

That's what I would do that's what I have done. And if I remember when I … That's what I would do that's what I have done. And if I remember when I went to the post office and sorted everything out from my last car taxing new one i forgot the signature Donald Duck and it was sorted lol

Same as. I've signed on their behalf before and the v5 came back with no discrepancies.

bridtown

That's what I would do that's what I have done. And if I remember when I … That's what I would do that's what I have done. And if I remember when I went to the post office and sorted everything out from my last car taxing new one i forgot the signature Donald Duck and it was sorted lol

Same as. I've signed on their behalf before and the v5 came back with no discrepancies.

Hel not be able to tax it without v5 i dont think if you didnt give him the tear off slip. Can you not contact him and just sign it yourself

Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice
after spending some time doing a search online and find out it can be done online so this morning went online
https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
and got it sorted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions