Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

"Soldiers should get paid more than footballers..."

Posted 2nd Feb 2012
What are your views on this Statement?

And apology for the long paragraph.

Personally i disagree with that statement...My reasons for this is because i believe practically anyone can be a solider where as it takes talent to be a footballer. (No i don't really follow football that much Nor do i have anything against soldiers)...Also i think that if soldiers got paid...Lets say a reasonable large salary but far off from footballers... £40,000 apart from the usual £17,000+, i'd say thousands more people would be signing up to be a solider but for all the wrong reasons...If their salary was of a high amount, i don't think people would think be joining to protect and serve their Country, i believe they would be just in for it for the money...Because yes training may be hard at times but it is certainly passable for a lot of people. One more reason why i disagree with this statement is because Football is a private establishment, ie they are not given money from the government, where as Soldiers pay is all through the government/MoD...Just imagine the government paying soldiers footballers wages, the country's money would last one day...

Sorry to bore you with my probably not 100% correct/clear information, but someone said the line today and i just thought about it but didn't want to get into a debate with them...

To say again i do not have anything against Soldiers or Footballers, and as some of yous will know i want to join the Armed Forces myself.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

65 Comments
dylanjb100

What part are you agreeing with?

the fact the government pay for soliders and clubs/private money pay for football players, if you start paying them footballers wages then the government cant afford it or you have to take the money out of other public services NHS etc.

Plus being a world class footballer is a talent. Joe Bloggs who plays for random city fc in the ryman league doesnt get paid thousands a week, he has an honest job and plays for the hobby.

Also johnny has made a typo and said "pay players 100,000 a week" when he means soldiers.

pointless discussion anyway.

Edited by: "numptyj" 2nd Feb 2012
numptyj

the fact the government pay for soliders and clubs/private money pay for … the fact the government pay for soliders and clubs/private money pay for football players. Plus being a world class footballer is a talent. Joe Bloggs who plays for random city fc in the ryman league doesnt get paid thousands a week, he has an honest job and plays for the hobby.Also johnny has made a typo and said "pay player should be paid 100,000 a week" when he means soldiers.pointless discussion anyway.

ok
ahmed123

How about cut footballers wages??

How about get the soldiers to shoot the footballers then pay them a bonus if they can get a kill streak? However it goes I see total WIN.
numptyj

the fact the government pay for soliders and clubs/private money pay for … the fact the government pay for soliders and clubs/private money pay for football players, if you start paying them footballers wages then the government cant afford it or you have to take the money out of other public services NHS etc.Plus being a world class footballer is a talent. Joe Bloggs who plays for random city fc in the ryman league doesnt get paid thousands a week, he has an honest job and plays for the hobby.Also johnny has made a typo and said "pay players 100,000 a week" when he means soldiers.pointless discussion anyway.

Well spotted X)
jonny619447

Pointless question. No way it is possible.

numptyj

Agreed!
Soldiers should be able to get a bonus based on the number of Taliban they take out. Footballers just get paid too much, period.
jonny619447

Pointless question. No way it is possible.

numptyj

What ever!
guv

Soldiers should be able to get a bonus based on the number of Taliban … Soldiers should be able to get a bonus based on the number of Taliban they take out. Footballers just get paid too much, period.

That wouldn't work out though, the soldiers would be competing to kill all the time which would lead to tension in the squad and something stupid might happen, plus there is no way they could give proof of their kills so anyone could just lie.
Soldiers should get paid a little more, footballers should be paid a lot less.
Maybe the footballers should pick up the bill
Edited by: "MBeeching" 3rd Feb 2012
dylanjb100

That wouldn't work out though, the soldiers would be competing to kill … That wouldn't work out though, the soldiers would be competing to kill all the time which would lead to tension in the squad and something stupid might happen, plus there is no way they could give proof of their kills so anyone could just lie.

Oh well.... X)
guv

Oh well.... X)

Haha good idea though
Footballers' wages will probably reach a point that ruins a couple of clubs and that can only be a good thing. It does amaze me that we still have 92 professional league clubs running. We could do with losing a few of these to be honest, which would be good for the remaining clubs.

But soldiers are in too plentiful supply to need to raise their wages, especially with a recession approaching. Although we praise them, the truth is that they have very few unique skills which require a premium payment to acquire.
FilthAndFurry

Footballers' wages will probably reach a point that ruins a couple of … Footballers' wages will probably reach a point that ruins a couple of clubs and that can only be a good thing. It does amaze me that we still have 92 professional league clubs running. We could do with losing a few of these to be honest, which would be good for the remaining clubs.

1 team per city/town. Take the most successful one from each and get rid of the rest. So just Man Utd for Manchester, Arsenal for London etc...
No beause then people would just join the army for the money and not have a clue what their doing,
footballers and actors will always make more then anyone else.
master_chief

1 team per city/town. Take the most successful one from each and get rid … 1 team per city/town. Take the most successful one from each and get rid of the rest. So just Man Utd for Manchester, Arsenal for London etc...

13604352-yhKnY

Bring them all home,retrain them as beat police officers/immigration officers and give them a pay rise.Sack all the top brass to help pay for it and never fight a war that has nothing to do with us again Sorted.
I see the UK gov is now sticking its nose into Somalia`s business,madness.
Footballers get paid too much.

But the point is moot, Its public vs private money... and for the most part the public are morons when it comes to anything that increases spending in one area and cry about it.

Soldiers get a good wage for what they do when you consider the perks of the job as well.
I've seen this discussion carried out IRL a couple of times, and it's always instigated by the person at the table that, to put it gently, you wouldn't invite to your pub quiz team. But, whatever.

The correct answer is that footballers should be paid more. Footballers work for, and are paid by private companies. They are taxed at 40% income tax + NI, and generally live in large homes in areas with hefty income tax. Their money that they don't spend goes into savings accounts, or is handled by their accountants, where it grows, and is eligible to be taxed even further. The money they do spend is nearly all subject to VAT and whatever other applicable taxes there are. In short, the more a footballer gets paid, the more there is in the public kitty to be paid to the soldier, nurse, teacher, policeman, or whoever. This is good for everybody, apart from the footballer.
Most (not all) footballers are not overpaid. To suggest they are overpaid would mean that they dont bring in the money they get paid.

Football is a huge industry and makes alot of money, its one of the few 'industrys' that the ground floor workers as such, the ones who bring in the wealth get paid a high percentage of that money.

As mentioned they are the best in thier field, same as top earners in other fields. Its all in relation to the income.

As for soliders, we should cut down on the amount of soilders by stopping getting involved in every dispute under the sun. Cutting down the numbers of soilders would allow the better skilled soilders to earn more and to have proper equipment so when called upon they can do thier job effectivly and a safely as possible. The governments persistance in spending huge amounts of cash fighting every forigen conflict is the problem.
Edited by: "ZedEx" 3rd Feb 2012
tinkerbell28

What would they be? As from what I can see the govt have pretty much done … What would they be? As from what I can see the govt have pretty much done away with most of them. The salary for a low level squaddie, is appalling. Definitely not a good wage.But it's public money, so a big increase is never going to happen.

housing and food is dirt cheap
good pension
2 week holiday adventure to an extreme sport ie mountain climbing
alot of jobs within the army offer civilian quilification's

realblender

Pay teachers more

Hahahahahaha,

have you actually seen some of their salaries? They get 2 and a half times minimum wage and get tonnes of days off every year.
Paddy_o_furniture

£26k or so same as the national average.

lol at national average I personally love how the high profile on circa 200k+ people are included in that "average" the average from what i see is about 16-20k sigh
Food and lodging should be enough for these guys, same as they'd get in prison where most would be otherwise.
tinkerbell28

The food is no longer dirt cheap, as it's been sold to a for profit … The food is no longer dirt cheap, as it's been sold to a for profit company. Yes they can, the singlies get a cheap core meal. Unfortunately it's not enough to keep them going with the training they do, and it **** poor quality. So they have to upgrade paying civvie cafe prices.

The food is still dirt cheap and has numerous offerings (RAF specifically) which include basic offerings like old style menu that they had before the profit company took over for the same price they used to pay.

Quality is also determined mostly by the site and not the profit company.

source: 1st hand experiance
tinkerbell28

Erm no it's not. Come tell all the RAF here that.

I'd say i'd like to live off the rations compared to some army base food I've had.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants