Expired

Solicitor asking for gas certificate

Found 6th Apr 2013
We are in the process of selling our house and buying another. We received a letter today from our solictor which lists queries that the buyers solicitor has. One of these is to provide a gas certificate for the year 2012.

The combi boiler we have is over 10 years old and was installed before we moved to the property 3 years ago. As far as I know we did not get any installation certificates etc when we moved in (all of the paperwork is with the solicitor at the moment).

We have had the boiler and gas fire serviced by British Gas yearly which states that everything thing is in working order, would this do? Solicitor is shut until Monday.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I'd expect that to be fine. You could try ringing BG and ask if they can give you something in writing.

It is standard part of conveyancing to get documentation proving everything - have they asked for an electical report as well?

Is your buyer going to live in the house or rent it out? For rental properties there has to be gas safety checks every year and I wonder if this is why they are asking.
They haven't asked for electricity and they will be living there. Thanks for the reply.
I haven't heard of providing gas/ boiler installation certificate before, they must be referring to the annual gas safety certificate, however i think it's unusual to ask for one especially as they will be living in the property. Just provide what you can.
any gas appliances ,must by law have one if you are selling a property ,to get one you must get a ,gas safe engineer,to do a safety check, and then issue one if an appliance does not meet the regulated safety requirements it will be ,disconnected and a no use notice put on the item; this is standard practice whether you are selling or renting a living space ;all gas burning appliances must meet ,a standard safety level,
Well doesn't the boiler and fire service sheet do that? There's a section they sign to say everything is working ok.
kathryn taylor

any gas appliances ,must by law have one if you are selling a property … any gas appliances ,must by law have one if you are selling a property ,to get one you must get a ,gas safe engineer,to do a safety check, and then issue one if an appliance does not meet the regulated safety requirements it will be ,disconnected and a no use notice put on the item; this is standard practice whether you are selling or renting a living space ;all gas burning appliances must meet ,a standard safety level,

Are you sure? I think that only applies to renting - you can sell whatever you want as long as the buyer is happy to buy.
kathryn taylor

any gas appliances ,must by law have one if you are selling a property … any gas appliances ,must by law have one if you are selling a property ,to get one you must get a ,gas safe engineer,to do a safety check, and then issue one if an appliance does not meet the regulated safety requirements it will be ,disconnected and a no use notice put on the item; this is standard practice whether you are selling or renting a living space ;all gas burning appliances must meet ,a standard safety level,

There is no legal obligation to provide a buyer with any certificates for gas (or electricity). It might make the sale easier but it's not a legal requirement. It's different for a landlord renting out a property, a gas safety certificate is required. There is also a legal requirement that any gas work in any property is done by a Gas Safe engneer.

The installation of this boiler appears to have pre-dated the building regs requirement for certification so it's unlikely any documentation exists apart from annual servicing records. Explain this to your soliicitor.
the bg statement is fine.

you only have a certificate if the property is rented out.
Thanks everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants