solicitor doing conveyancing question for an expert

Posted 4th Oct
We are in the middle buying a property and it's now in it's 11th week and the solicitor seems intent on driving us mad with piddle.

One such things his their comment that "they have to look out for the interests of the lender"

Is this true, we are not using the lender's solicitor, we found our own so I would have though their only working for us.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
It’s correct, the lender is also their client and they must meet the lenders requirements or you can’t have the mortgage
The lender is the mortgage company you are taking your mortgage with so yes they will need to make them happy otherwise you won't get a mortgage.
Basically they have to be fully honest with the lender about anything. Otherwise it’s fraud and you wouldn’t get the mortgage. There is absolutely nothing to worry about unless you or the sellers are hiding something.
I would be a bit miffed by that comment as well.
Obviously your solicitor has to meet the requirements of the lender and act with honesty but that should be as far as it goes, if he thinks he has "to look after their interests" then maybe he should ask them to pay part of his bill.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 4th Oct
deleted1523363
Delbert.Grady04/10/2019 15:35

I would be a bit miffed by that comment as well. Obviously your solicitor …I would be a bit miffed by that comment as well. Obviously your solicitor has to meet the requirements of the lender and act with honesty but that should be as far as it goes, if he thinks he has "to look after their interests" then maybe he should ask them to pay part of his bill.

MonkeyMan9004/10/2019 14:35

The lender is the mortgage company you are taking your mortgage with so …The lender is the mortgage company you are taking your mortgage with so yes they will need to make them happy otherwise you won't get a mortgage.

That's what I was thinking too.

The delay is total nonsense, the seller had a council great and the council have a £2k hold on the land but even that is not payable by us or the seller if the a condition is met and that has been met. It's already cost use extra months rent and now they want the council to send a signed letter revoking the claim. We all know how fast councils move FFS!
Edited by: "deleted1523363" 4th Oct
deleted152336304/10/2019 18:24

That's what I was thinking too.The delay is total nonsense, the seller had …That's what I was thinking too.The delay is total nonsense, the seller had a council great and the council have a £2k hold on the land but even that is not payable by us or the seller if the a condition is met and that has been met. It's already cost use extra months rent and now they want the council to send a signed letter revoking the claim. We all know how fast councils move FFS!

This £2k charge has either been revealed on the office copies (title deeds) or on your local search as a land charge - your lawyer is just doing their job as frustrating as it may seem, you’ll soon be running back to your solicitor if you get chased for this payment after completion.
deleted1523363
Dpowell305/10/2019 21:49

This £2k charge has either been revealed on the office copies (title …This £2k charge has either been revealed on the office copies (title deeds) or on your local search as a land charge - your lawyer is just doing their job as frustrating as it may seem, you’ll soon be running back to your solicitor if you get chased for this payment after completion.

No I won't because I have the ability to understand what it is and that it doesn't apply. If the solicitor was any good they would have read the same documents and came to the same conclusion. It's a standard land charge, they must see them every day. Even if it did apply I would willingly pay it as this £2k has already cost us £1k an an extra month's rent. Personally I think they are using it as an excuse to over charge, well they have another thing coming.
deleted152336305/10/2019 22:15

No I won't because I have the ability to understand what it is and that it …No I won't because I have the ability to understand what it is and that it doesn't apply. If the solicitor was any good they would have read the same documents and came to the same conclusion. It's a standard land charge, they must see them every day. Even if it did apply I would willingly pay it as this £2k has already cost us £1k an an extra month's rent. Personally I think they are using it as an excuse to over charge, well they have another thing coming.

I can’t really comment further without seeing the specifics, perhaps you should request to speak with a manager at your solicitors on Monday if you don’t feel like you’re getting enough information or support from the lawyer acting for you.
Is it an online company?
yes. they have to protect the bank even though they are your solicitor as you are borrowing money to buy the house. the bank will not lend you the money without the solicitor confirming that they are happy with everything.

we sold a flat recently and had the same problem with the buyer solicitor saying they want to protect the bank and demanded all sorts of paperwork completed about the service charge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants