Groups

solicitor fees

hi i was chatting to a mate yesterday whos selling his flat and buying a cottage hes been quoted £3000 fees to me this seems a bit excessive whats your opinion and experience and is there anything he can do about it.Its the same solicitor doing both.

19 Comments

I work for a solicitors firm specializing in conveyancing and yes that sound ridiculous!

Original Poster

As hes about to swap contracts soon is there anything he can do about it he had to use certain solicitors else he wouldnt be able to get the mortgage.

Banned

you sure those fees dont include the stamp duty?

Even if this was for a million pound flat and cottage both leasehold, new builds on unregistered land, buy to let properties (which is pretty much the most complicated non commercial property conveyance) it shouldn't be that much

Good point if that includes stamp duty it's not so ridiculous

Supermod

I would guess that this figure includes Stamp Duty.

Used Abode (online conveyancy) for both of our house sales/purchases and they were really cheap. Also much better and quicker as all done online with text updates. Would recommend.

abodeconveyancing.co.uk/

Original Poster

cheers for the quick replies so how much would the stamp duty if he was buying a property for about 140k?

always amazes me that people moan about solicitors fees yet don't bat an eyelid at the estate agents fee which is often ten times the amount! It really is a disgrace, the estate agents often do next to nothing and the solicitor carries a lot of liability in terms of the work they carry out, plus I know if I was buying a house the legals are one thing I'd want done properly.

Banned

roryk83

always amazes me that people moan about solicitors fees yet don't bat an … always amazes me that people moan about solicitors fees yet don't bat an eyelid at the estate agents fee which is often ten times the amount! It really is a disgrace, the estate agents often do next to nothing and the solicitor carries a lot of liability in terms of the work they carry out, plus I know if I was buying a house the legals are one thing I'd want done properly.

Apart from market the property, show people round, take sales calls, handle negotiations?
    I had an estate agent who was charging £500, no sale no fee. He had the house 7 months, had 6 viewings, no offers. Changed to one who charges £2600, 34 viewings in a week, and 6 offers, house sold in 8 days. Well worth the money to me.

£3k for solicitors fees? Madness, mine are £360 for a sale only.
    Stamp duty will be 1% - so about £1400, so even if thats included its still £1600 sols fees

Original Poster

Im not moaning im just concerned as it does seem alot but wanted to check with others.Totally agree what you say about estate agent fees.

colinsunderland

market the property, show people round, take sales calls, handle … market the property, show people round, take sales calls, handle negotiations? Changed to one who charges £2600. Well worth the money to me.£3k for solicitors fees? Madness.

I don't know where to begin

Supermod

archer1204

cheers for the quick replies so how much would the stamp duty if he was … cheers for the quick replies so how much would the stamp duty if he was buying a property for about 140k?

£1,400.

Supermod

colinsunderland

Apart from market the property, show people round, take sales calls, … Apart from market the property, show people round, take sales calls, handle negotiations?I had an estate agent who was charging £500, no sale no fee. He had the house 7 months, had 6 viewings, no offers. Changed to one who charges £2600, 34 viewings in a week, and 6 offers, house sold in 8 days. Well worth the money to me.£3k for solicitors fees? Madness, mine are £360 for a sale only.Stamp duty will be 1% - so about £1400, so even if thats included its still £1600 sols fees

I bet the figure includes disbursements though as well. Such as the local authority search and all VAT.

Banned

so does mine, although did get it cheaper as I know the solicitor. However most are charging about £450 + vat etc round here

Supermod

colinsunderland

so does mine, although did get it cheaper as I know the solicitor. … so does mine, although did get it cheaper as I know the solicitor. However most are charging about £450 + vat etc round here

That is the same around here. To about £650+vat.

Supermod

colinsunderland

so does mine, although did get it cheaper as I know the solicitor. … so does mine, although did get it cheaper as I know the solicitor. However most are charging about £450 + vat etc round here

You must have literally had the solicitors fees for free as the searches for when you buy will be about £200.

Banned

yeah but I;m selling

Supermod

colinsunderland

yeah but I;m selling

There we are then!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553756
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767183
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714459

See more discussions