Solid brass or stainless steel made basin waste? Both chrome finished

Posted 17th Oct
Any benefit to paying a little more for a flip top bathroom basin waste made in solid brass but finished in chrome against getting the stainless steel made one with chrome finish one?

The brass one costs a little more.

In a hard water area if that makes a difference.

Both are likely to be fine but may as well get the better one if there is such a thing. Otherwise everthing else seems to be the same between them.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Buy a decent quality one, on the cheap ones the chrome coating peels and bubbles after a few months of use.
matthews947917/10/2019 20:02

Buy a decent quality one, on the cheap ones the chrome coating peels and …Buy a decent quality one, on the cheap ones the chrome coating peels and bubbles after a few months of use.

What would be a decent quality one? Was looking at ER08 and I think the other version is ER03. Look the same but one is made with stainless steel and the other solid brass. Reviews from people on flip top ones said it is better since owning it than the push click ones they had previously.

A lot of places show the was price and their special offer price. Some being a £10 or £20 saving which is marketing rubbish as other places are similarly priced in line to the 'special offer'!

Thanks.
thetarget18/10/2019 00:58

What would be a decent quality one? Was looking at ER08 and I think the …What would be a decent quality one? Was looking at ER08 and I think the other version is ER03. Look the same but one is made with stainless steel and the other solid brass. Reviews from people on flip top ones said it is better since owning it than the push click ones they had previously. A lot of places show the was price and their special offer price. Some being a £10 or £20 saving which is marketing rubbish as other places are similarly priced in line to the 'special offer'! Thanks.

I bought a bristan one about 18 months ago still looks like new.
Flip top ones are generally fixed so a nightmare when you get a blockage as you can't get anything down the hole
chocci18/10/2019 09:26

Flip top ones are generally fixed so a nightmare when you get a blockage …Flip top ones are generally fixed so a nightmare when you get a blockage as you can't get anything down the hole

Thanks.

Do you mean if it gets stuck? One of the ones I am looking at shows this as an image:

38692462-65Cl3.jpgUnless the thing gets wedged shut from muck, it should be fine pushing it down to open. Even if it got stuck a hammer and a metal or wood, or plastic thin tube wrapped in something like a cloth to stop possible scratches and giving it a whack, should open it? I would have thought.

Was originally thinking of getting a chain and plug but I don't think my new basin has the ability to house the chain.

Should be a wide enough gap on the flip top waste above to put down a long thin drain/waste pipe metal cleaner like: 38692462-SJbgz.jpg Got one from Home Bargains a while ago. Also got a thicker one in Lidl which should be better for drains. Although with a flip top could be irritating to hold it open and the edge could get scratched by the cleaner. Might need a bit of masking tape stuck over the plug part of the flip top waste.
thetarget18/10/2019 11:52

Thanks.Do you mean if it gets stuck? One of the ones I am looking at …Thanks.Do you mean if it gets stuck? One of the ones I am looking at shows this as an image:[Image] Unless the thing gets wedged shut from muck, it should be fine pushing it down to open. Even if it got stuck a hammer and a metal or wood, or plastic thin tube wrapped in something like a cloth to stop possible scratches and giving it a whack, should open it? I would have thought.Was originally thinking of getting a chain and plug but I don't think my new basin has the ability to house the chain. Should be a wide enough gap on the flip top waste above to put down a long thin drain/waste pipe metal cleaner like: [Image] Got one from Home Bargains a while ago. Also got a thicker one in Lidl which should be better for drains. Although with a flip top could be irritating to hold it open and the edge could get scratched by the cleaner. Might need a bit of masking tape stuck over the plug part of the flip top waste.

The push down ones screw on so you can remove it allowing easy access unlike the flip ones that only allow a small gap to get access for hair removal etc
Thanks @chocci

Maybe the reviews I read from people saying they prefer their new flip top one they purchased, is because they originally had a cheap push or click basin waste. Whilst say the Bristan range and others are a lot more reliable. My mind may have been swayed away from push or click ones unecessarily. I couldn't care less for the look of a push or click or flip top one within reason. Just want something which will hopefully last a good few years and will keep its looks without needing to install another.

Think I will have another look at reviews at the Bristan options. I know Bristan taps tend to be well rated by people. Even if the quality is not what it used to be.

Probably I'm completely overthinking it all!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants