Solutions for the theft of packages from foyer of flats

Posted 16th Dec 2021 (Posted 16 h, 29 m ago)
I own a flat in a block and mail & packages are left by the postman/delivery drivers in the foyer. Letters are fine as they slip into metal mail cabinets numbered for each flat that can be opened with a key. However packages left near or on the mail cabinet are being stolen on a regular basis by theives just tailgating people into the property who don't challenge them.

Has anyone come accross this and found a workable solution apart from employing a reception person?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from your house (use them as a bin). Seal it all back up then put it back on show at the door and watch the "porch pirates" take your rubbish away for you.
Amazon and many other sellers will deliver to a pick up point which is basically a larger metal locker in places like supermarket car parks.
If they're no good, then do you have a relative who is home more than you who is happy to receive stuff at their address?
Do any of your friends have a shed or other out building where you can give a key location to a driver for?
Edited by: "sammyantha123" 16 h, 22 m ago
17 Comments
  1. Avatar
    If your flat has a balcony, just have items delivered by Hermes hotukdeals.com/dis…795
  2. Avatar
    You could complain to the local sorting office so they stop leaving parcels there

You could insist they actually deliver to the full address rather than the block

You can also claim from where the items were purchased from as they have not been delivered.

You could put up cctv (won't really help that much)

Ps I presume there is also a service entry option on the door that let's the postie in so thieves will be aware they can access without tailgating
    Edited by: "a666andy" 16 h, 21 m ago
  3. Avatar
    Amazon and many other sellers will deliver to a pick up point which is basically a larger metal locker in places like supermarket car parks.
    If they're no good, then do you have a relative who is home more than you who is happy to receive stuff at their address?
    Do any of your friends have a shed or other out building where you can give a key location to a driver for?
    Edited by: "sammyantha123" 16 h, 22 m ago
  4. Avatar
    You need an Amazon locker style setup where parcels are left in cupboards that can only be opened by the flat owner. But digital so you can leave a code on the delivery instructions so the courier can drop it off into the correct locker.
  5. Avatar
    Just put a notice there for couriers "if it doesn't fit in the letterbox, deliver to flat" thieves operate in this area. You can also add this note if it's possible on delivery instructions. They shouldnt leave it there anyway.
  6. Avatar
    Collect packets from delivery office.Speak to manager explain things & they'll leave a notice about your address saying not to deliver & to leave a card, what the postman should look at when they do their redirections.
  7. Avatar
    Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from your house (use them as a bin). Seal it all back up then put it back on show at the door and watch the "porch pirates" take your rubbish away for you.
  8. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9016/12/2021 21:26

Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from …Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from your house (use them as a bin). Seal it all back up then put it back on show at the door and watch the "porch pirates" take your rubbish away for you.

Brilliant
  9. Avatar
    You could consider installing your own parcel locker, but even those will have limits to size. We have light-fingered neighbours so installed a parcel locker in our porch, have signs up to use the parcel locker, and include a line in the address, "do not leave with neighbours, use parcel locker". Amazon drivers don't seem to be able to read delivery instructions, signs, or see the bloody great locker and usually drop things in the porch. Most other couriers and the postie are house trained, but it's a different person every time with Amazon. If it were me, I'd be using the pick up points, parcel shops, or find a friend or relative who doesn't mind taking parcels for you.
  10. Avatar
    If your block has a service button- which absolutely anyone can use to gain access- then your Royal Mail postman should not be leaving packets in the foyer. He is only allowed to leave packets in a secure location. You could get in touch with your local delivery office to let them know of the issue.
  11. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9016/12/2021 21:26

Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from …Best thing to do is keep your empty boxes and fill it with any waste from your house (use them as a bin). Seal it all back up then put it back on show at the door and watch the "porch pirates" take your rubbish away for you.

I would advise having a vindaloo and half a dozen pints of Guinness the night before you leave it out.
  12. Avatar
    Your flats' residents are dumb. They should NEVER allow people to tailgate into the property, and anyone attempting to do so MUST be challenged.

Do people no longer care for one's own personal security ? It's commonsense, but it appears your flat hosts those who couldn't care for the security and welfare of themselves or others within the flats.

You need to teach your tenants of the basics of personal security.
  13. Avatar
    It might not just be people tailgating that are stealing your parcels, it might be the Postman or the couriers themselves. I've seen videos of couriers leaving parcels outside or in 'safe places', taking photos of them to 'prove' delivery, then picking the parcels up and stealing them.

If you know you aren't going to be in, it's best to use alternative delivery addresses and/or deliver to pick-up points.

Recently I've started getting Amazon to deliver to my local Post Office. It's less stressful for me and less hassle than faffing around and waiting for couriers who may or may not turn up. I don't have to wait at home all day or worried about it not being delivered. I get alerted when it's at the Post Office and I can pop along and collect it at my leisure.

My folks sometimes have stuff delivered to an Amazon locker. Or you can choose some other local shops.

You could use Collect + if it is and option and have the items delivered to a local shop.

See if you can collect parcels from your Royal Mail delivery office instead of them delivering to your home. Usually, if Royal Mail can't deliver, they aren't meant to leave it outside your door etc. They did for a while during the covid lockdown period but lately they've started leaving cards again and taking them back to the delivery office for redelivery or collection. Have a word with your local delivery office and see what your options are.

I've had LOADS of stuff stolen by Royal Mail over the years. Plus I've had issues with other courier companies and Amazon. It makes online shopping VERY stressful. I hope you manage to find a solution. Good luck.
  14. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks all for your views, The frustrating thing is that there is CCTV but the police are just not interested. I think a large notice suggesting collection points and or telling couriers to deliver to apartments is the way to go. Although I do like the idea of them taking the rubbish too.
  15. Avatar
    firswood17/12/2021 08:23

Thanks all for your views, The frustrating thing is that there is CCTV but …Thanks all for your views, The frustrating thing is that there is CCTV but the police are just not interested. I think a large notice suggesting collection points and or telling couriers to deliver to apartments is the way to go. Although I do like the idea of them taking the rubbish too.

Yeah I'd say that's the best bet, a sign politely saying due to items being stolen please take to flat, I assume you've got some sort of intercom system in place so the driver can call you, do you have a friendly neighbour who's generally about so you can add an instruction on the parcel to try number x if not in.
  16. Avatar
    Maya.Tokizaki17/12/2021 00:31

Your flats' residents are dumb. They should NEVER allow people to tailgate …Your flats' residents are dumb. They should NEVER allow people to tailgate into the property, and anyone attempting to do so MUST be challenged.Do people no longer care for one's own personal security ? It's commonsense, but it appears your flat hosts those who couldn't care for the security and welfare of themselves or others within the flats.You need to teach your tenants of the basics of personal security.

from my experience, no one challenges people in flats. often the person going in, would even hold the door for the person following them. just not the thing to challenge people, not to mention it could turn violent and unpleasant.
  17. Avatar
    mutley117/12/2021 10:52

from my experience, no one challenges people in flats. often the person …from my experience, no one challenges people in flats. often the person going in, would even hold the door for the person following them. just not the thing to challenge people, not to mention it could turn violent and unpleasant.

Yeah, well if any challenges me, I have a Swiss pocket knife hidden in my bra. So mess with me at your peril.
Post a comment
Top Merchants