Groups

Some advice buying from the USA

Hi, I wanted to find out if its less likely that customs tax will be charged if a item is valued at £18 or less, as I've purchased an item off ebay for $14.99 and shipping was around $25, which came to just under £28, so do customs include the shipping aswell as part of the items value...

13 Comments

I'm pretty sure it's just the value of the contents, when I complete customs forms I have only been asked to list contents value anyway

I think it depends on what "value for customs" the sender puts on the invoices. They tend not to charge on low value shipments, at least that's what happens when we ship out abroad from work.
    Oh and no the shipping costs don't come into it.

It's the value of the item, lots of Chinese sellers on eBay sell stuff for just under 18 quid then make up the actual cost with postage

Original Poster

queenlush;8264659

I think it depends on what "value for customs" the sender puts on the … I think it depends on what "value for customs" the sender puts on the invoices. They tend not to charge on low value shipments, at least that's what happens when we ship out abroad from work.

nat66;8264641

I'm pretty sure it's just the value of the contents, when I complete … I'm pretty sure it's just the value of the contents, when I complete customs forms I have only been asked to list contents value anyway

I hope thats the case for me then also, will learn and have a rough idea once this item is shipped and arrives as to when customs do and dont charge tax.

Thanks and rep given

Original Poster

thank you also sparx and like ur avatar queenlush....its actually an elmo toy item I'm buying for my nephew they dont have much elmo stuff over here!

mai;8264732

thank you also sparx and like ur avatar queenlush....its actually an elmo … thank you also sparx and like ur avatar queenlush....its actually an elmo toy item I'm buying for my nephew they dont have much elmo stuff over here!

Thank you ...i'm a bit like Elmo...cute at times but can be annoying :-D

Its the value of the item unless its over the limit then they include the postage when working out the fee

If goods are valued at £18 or less then no tax is payable. If they are marked as a gift then you have a £36 limit

vinylandtrinkets;8265517

the £18 isnt always true, ive had dvds off amazon and playusa both only … the £18 isnt always true, ive had dvds off amazon and playusa both only $15.00 and got stung £8.00 each for the customs charge ( which was only £2.00 was customs the rest was royal mail charges) think it depends ALOT on the mood of the customs people on the day of arrival ( or so the postie tells me)

Either Amazon/Play put the wrong amount on the package or it was misread, either way you could have appealed and got it back as it was a mistake

I have been buying clothes for my daughter from Gymboree (American childrens clothes store), and i have spent litteraly £100's and i have never been charged a customs tax. Don't know if this is because its clothes or not....?

Original Poster

Jenny1979x;8265729

I have been buying clothes for my daughter from Gymboree (American … I have been buying clothes for my daughter from Gymboree (American childrens clothes store), and i have spent litteraly £100's and i have never been charged a customs tax. Don't know if this is because its clothes or not....?

gonna take a look at that site lol

mai;8267636

gonna take a look at that site lol

Don't do it! The clothes are TDF!

Original Poster

Jenny1979x;8268923

Don't do it! The clothes are TDF!

Whats TDF mean? :? lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1343
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047105
      3. word association Game73944484
      4. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25102

See more discussions