Groups

some clarification on what a 'hot deal' is

Ultimately this question could pertain to other things besides mobiles.

I'll start by putting across my interpretation:

A hot deal to me is a discount on the RRP or expected price of a given product for someone *in the market for that item*, and ought to be concluded as 'hot' by any impartial reader, whether or not they personally like that manufacturer's products. If they don't like that manufacturer then they could choose to not vote either way, but it would be churlish of them to vote cold - and possibly cause people to miss an otherwise good deal due to respective biases. Cold votes *to me* should reflect a bad price that is cheaper elsewhere.

Obviously people can do whatever they want on here but I just wondered what the general consensus of opinion was.

Let's say I hate Samsung - is it fair game to vote an S8 deal that's cheaper than elsewhere cold just because I don't like them, or because I'm angry at the cost of phones these days and think everyone should import Doogees and Cubots?

Maybe I've just got the wrong end of the stick, or maybe I should just not worry about it :P

17 Comments

I agree with you. It should be based on cost of the item. People would still be free to post comments about manufacturer bias but should refrain from voting cold just because they prefer a different brand.

People are free to do what they want. If it's a bargain it will go hot regardless.

Most definately not based on a discount on the RRP as RRP's are generally fabricated but if its a genuine reduction from the standard going rate at the time then yes.

DAMNOME

People are free to do what they want. If it's a bargain it will go hot … People are free to do what they want. If it's a bargain it will go hot regardless.

This is HUKD, no such thing happens on here as bargains getting hot regardless as there are too many sheeple that will vote cold because it already has cold votes.

Original Poster

I think that's correct, and that sometimes deals get a wave of cold votes from people who might not necessarily actually know if something is hot or not - just because they assume it to be so and they can't help but pull the trigger. This would explain why some deals that are near identical go smoking hot one day and ice cold the other. It's another reason why people who aren't 'sheeple' should think twice before letting their allegiance or personal preferences get in the way of what otherwise would be a good deal for someone.

Hot deal = more hot votes than cold. That's it.

Reasons for Hot voting:
    1/ it is actually a good deal
    2/ it's a new or popular product, especially true in gaming
    3/ a mod posted it

Reasons for cold votes:
    1/ it's not a good deal
    2/ you aren't followed by a group of bum-lickers
    3/ you posted during the day when the tards are most active

I love HUKD for the many bargains it has led me to and the kind folk happy to help you out but man there are some sad, malicious, annoying people on here, some with crazy huge inflated egos, far too many opinions and I suspect not much of a life. just try your hardest to let it go. Let the votes fall where they may. If you post a deal and it helps just one person then it's a job well done even if the deal ends up icy cold

A deal is exactly that. Any price lower than anywhere else around and you have yourself a deal.

The problem on this site as mentioned already is the way members vote. There are a few different types of voters...

1. The sheep (doesn't even look at the deal just sees hot or cold temperatures and votes with the trend)
    2. The follower (follows members/mods and when a deal is posted heat is added, again regardless of product or price)
    3. The code haters (votes cold if the deal has a voucher code)
    4.The gamer grudge (votes cold on every deal on consoles they don't like, hot on every deal on their favoured console)

All of these I can deal with, however the one thing I can't understand is the members who comment on a deal that they have absolutely no interest in. Surely people have better things to do with their time..
    Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 6th May

Don't be lazy ! Read and take notice of the comments . The sheep (whether voting hot or cold ) never leave comments , they just follow the crowd . I've found more good deals by reading comments than I have by looking at the "Heat " .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 6th May

If something is overpriced it is never going to be hot and you picked a good example with the S8. It was the same with the S7 also. Just because say for example carphone warehouse have the best deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7 costing £750 over 24 months and everybody else is more money, if the masses of viewers think it's too much then it will always be cold. Getting heat for an item isn't always about posting the cheapest deal, certainly where phones and oled TV's are concerned. I like Samsung phones but haven't voted any of the S8 deals hot because they are too much. They don't offer value for money compared to the previous model. Yes look nice but hey, they all call, text, access the internet, take pictures just like the competition. Prices maybe be fine for people who need 20 or 30 GB data every month whilst they play with their phones at work. It as interesting to see on the press launch of the S8 every single deal posted as cold yet some offering by Motorola at a quarter of the price made best mobile deal o the day. Looks like I am not on my own with my opinion. I am still waiting for the S7 to come down to £25 month for 24 months me when it does for once it will be hot because that is where the masses think its a fair price to pay.
    Edited by: "Smartguy1" 6th May

Original Poster

Smartguy1

If something is overpriced it is never going to be hot and you picked a … If something is overpriced it is never going to be hot and you picked a good example with the S8. It was the same with the S7 also. Just because say for example carphone warehouse have the best deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7 costing £750 over 24 months and everybody else is more money, if the masses of viewers think it's too much then it will always be cold. Getting heat for an item isn't always about posting the cheapest deal, certainly where phones and oled TV's are concerned. I like Samsung phones but haven't voted any of the S8 deals hot because they are too much. They don't offer value for money compared to the previous model. Yes look nice but hey, they all call, text, access the internet, take pictures just like the competition. Prices maybe be fine for people who need 20 or 30 GB data every month whilst they play with their phones at work. It as interesting to see on the press launch of the S8 every single deal posted as cold yet some offering by Motorola at a quarter of the price made best mobile deal o the day. Looks like I am not on my own with my opinion. I am still waiting for the S7 to come down to £25 month for 24 months me when it does for once it will be hot because that is where the masses think its a fair price to pay.

I would argue that you're not the intended market though - if you acknowledge that there *are* people who want to buy an S8, shouldn't the best deals on an S8 be judged according to the market price for that item and not people's broad perception of what is an acceptable price to pay for phones?

I wouldn't buy a Ferrari but I wouldn't vote cold on cheaper deal on one just because it's so much more expensive than a Skoda Superb.

Surely deals aren't about judging the market as a whole; they're about judging things in relation to that item's place on the market and finding people good deals.

I think that the only people looking at S8 deals should be people in the market for an S8. In my opinion people who just find the price of the S8 annoying have no business commenting and voting on these threads as it is not an area of interest for them - they can vote by simply not buying.
    Edited by: "misterleoni" 6th May

misterleoni

I would argue that you're not the intended market though - if you … I would argue that you're not the intended market though - if you acknowledge that there *are* people who want to buy an S8, shouldn't the best deals on an S8 be judged according to the market price for that item and not people's broad perception of what is an acceptable price to pay for phones? I wouldn't buy a Ferrari but I wouldn't vote cold on cheaper deal on one just because it's so much more expensive than a Skoda Superb. Surely deals aren't about judging the market as a whole; they're about judging things in relation to that item's place on the market and finding people good deals. I think that the only people looking at S8 deals should be people in the market for an S8. In my opinion people who just find the price of the S8 annoying have no business commenting and voting on these threads as it is not an area of interest for them - they can vote by simply not buying.

I was the intended market when samsung launched the S2 and S4. The only thing that has changed since then is the price and when I got the S2 I had unlimited everything at a very reasonable cost. That reasonable cost is about twice to two and a half times today what it was then. It really makes no difference whether the phone is aimed at me or not. I can afford to go and buy it if I want to. My sky subscription costs me more than an S8 and what do I get for that. Not much really, just a lot of repeats. Samsung's intended market is people like me who like their technology who have the disposable income to buy one. and I actually find your comment insulting. Phones are not designed entirely for gamers you know. The fact that I don't need a stupidly high data package is because if I am at work or home I have wifi. The only time I don't is if I am driving and the police are not too keen at people updating FB or similar media whilst driving. I have had a top end smartphone since 2009 so I am exactly the market that Samsung aim for, yet currently they lost me to LG.

People are entitled to their own opinion. Someone posts a deal. The individual decides hot, cold or not vote at all. It is their choice based on the available facts and the product. Most S8 and S7 deals I have seen so far have been cold, massively cold apart from perhaps the Very deal with 20% off. We are a democracy in this country and it is that democracy that speaks here by voting irrespective of what your opinion is, or mine for that matter.

Nearly two years ago Samsung S6 deals were cold on here also. I was just coming up to the end of my contract with the S4, Samsung's flagship phone from 2013. Couldn't get a deal on an S6 which I thought reasonable for my usage and then what came along, a deal on an LG G4 with a free Smartwatch. Cost me £320.00 over 24 months. Guess what, it attracted some serious heat. Look at what you got for the money and the phone was in every way, if not better than an S6. It's called value for money and that is not something that I am seeing on the S8 or indeed the S7 and whilst some of my opinions would appear to be very tunnel visioned, I am not on my own. High data users will probably disagree but they are entitled to their opinion and if I need a high data package then perhaps the monthly costs are reasonable. I don't need the data so why pay for something I don't need. How many people out there have a full sky package paying £92.00 a month only to find they never or rarely watch movies or sports. It's a waste. I think all sky packages posted on here go cold as well.

People are posting OLED tv's at £1,500.00. The same tv, similar spec if you can compare an LED to an OLED, half the price. The OLED is cold. Why because it is too expensive for what it is. Yes, it is the future and they ae lovely but we have people on here who will vote hot for a Polaroid 50" tv they can get from asda for 300 quid. Personally I would put my £300 towards a tv that's a better brand but that's my choice as the Polaroid is theirs. £300 for a 50" tv is a cheap price but it's not for me but it is for masses of people who are on a low budget most of which would never be able to afford a Skoda of any description and that's why they go hot because despite the fact they are made by Vestel they offer reasonable value for money.

We get people posting deals for products that have previously been cheaper and expect them to go hot and they don't. The readers on here remember with lots of people purchasing the product at its cheapest price. This has happened to me a few times. It is no longer a hot deal if its more expensive than it was last week, last month or a year ago and makes no difference if it's the best deal around at present time. People remember. The fact remains that it was, at one point in time, less in cost offering better value for money and will be cold or not as hot until such time as it reaches a lower price.

I hope some of the above perhaps gives you an indication why some deals are cold. You cannot just expect a deal to be hot because it is the best price for that product at that point in time. It doesn't work like that. This site has 1.66 million members, many of which will be commercially aware of product specification, technical information, pricing and competitive products and it is ultimately them who decide. Not you or me. Perhaps this would be different in a redder country where we all have to follow someone's lead and be an echo.

misterleoni

I would argue that you're not the intended market though - if you … I would argue that you're not the intended market though - if you acknowledge that there *are* people who want to buy an S8, shouldn't the best deals on an S8 be judged according to the market price for that item and not people's broad perception of what is an acceptable price to pay for phones? I wouldn't buy a Ferrari but I wouldn't vote cold on cheaper deal on one just because it's so much more expensive than a Skoda Superb. Surely deals aren't about judging the market as a whole; they're about judging things in relation to that item's place on the market and finding people good deals. I think that the only people looking at S8 deals should be people in the market for an S8. In my opinion people who just find the price of the S8 annoying have no business commenting and voting on these threads as it is not an area of interest for them - they can vote by simply not buying.

I agree , if its an item of interest to you , you go by the comments and info from the comments , not from the heat .
    To be fair most things even themselves out , overriding the sheep voting , but not always . Take golf - it seems to be universally hated on here - Posh folks sport ? who knows what is in the mind of the sheep ? I have posted and bought from golf deals that have always been negative , yet have not been just a few quid off they have been 50% off ! - Amazing deals IMHO and very rare to find . Yet the sheep vote them cold because its golf oO . That's why I assert don't go by the heat - read the comments and judge for yourself . Whenever I cast a vote up or down I leave a comment , outrageous I know oO , but maybe leaving an informed comment helps other members , I know reading informed comments rather than just going by the sheep voting helps me .

[/quote]

Yes I agree also if an item is of interest to the voter. I only ever vote on items of interest to me. I see no point whatsoever in voting on a bottle of head and shoulders shampoo for example as I have no idea what is a good price and what isn't but technical stuff or tools or motoring, even things to do with my job then obviously I have an interest and usually some commercial awareness of the item.

I see you are a golfer. The S8 is obviously marketed at people like you haha. I don't have any interest in golf. I tried it once and couldn't hit the bloody ball. It's definitely an art. I went to the driving range on numerous occasions to learn but to no avail. A shame really as a good pal of mine plays and it would have been a nice social event. The wife didn't like the idea of me playing a round though. I would have no idea in your particular hobby what would be a good deal so there would be no point in me even looking at the deal and therefore would not be qualified to vote.

Mobiles phones though are different. Most people have them so can form an opinion if £700-£1000 is a good deal over 24 months. My wife is a good example of someone who will vote cold on mobile phone deal. She gets my old contract phone, mint condition at two years old. She has an £8.00 a month sim deal. Cost to her over 24 months = £192.00. Is she going to vote hot on an S8 or S7. Definitely not and there will be 100's like her and if she had to buy a phone is she going to spend £500+ on an S8. Not bloody likely and she likes her gadgets.

mtc1

Reasons for cold votes:2/ you aren't followed by a group of bum-lickers3/ … Reasons for cold votes:2/ you aren't followed by a group of bum-lickers3/ you posted during the day when the tards are most active

X)

Hot v Cold is usually pretty accurate on here.

People tend to hate "comedy" Deals that aren't a "good price" but are just there to generate silly discussions - better for Misc surely, though there seems more tolerance if you're part of the relentless .gif posting gang (I don't mind chummy mentality but it can get a bit wearying if you're trying to find out further information about the Deal and there's lots of guff to wade through).

Some members absolutely hate it if you chime in saying "woops, your Deal is actually cheaper here" and take it as a personal attack (I even had one member comment negatively on the majority of my current posts when I did this, ages ago, just because I dared to mention a cheaper seller).

Generally, though, there are many well-informed (and sane) members on here who tend to vote fairly - until I bump into the next psycho, that is.

JohnnyRoller

A deal is exactly that. Any price lower than anywhere else around and you … A deal is exactly that. Any price lower than anywhere else around and you have yourself a deal. The problem on this site as mentioned already is the way members vote. There are a few different types of voters...1. The sheep (doesn't even look at the deal just sees hot or cold temperatures and votes with the trend)2. The follower (follows members/mods and when a deal is posted heat is added, again regardless of product or price)3. The code haters (votes cold if the deal has a voucher code)4.The gamer grudge (votes cold on every deal on consoles they don't like, hot on every deal on their favoured console)All of these I can deal with, however the one thing I can't understand is the members who comment on a deal that they have absolutely no interest in. Surely people have better things to do with their time..

you forgot the ppl that vote on fast food deals about how making your own food is cheaper and more healthy etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions