Expired

Some computer help please - Acer Revo R3600 vs R3700

Found 2nd Jan 2012
Hi, I really help someone can help me out with this. I have an acer Revo R3600 with 160gb hard drive and a 1.6ghz processor. I use it and it is reliable however I often have a number of programs open at the same time and it is just too slow.

I am looking at getting dual monitors and so thinking about upgrading the computer at the same time. I dont need it for any video streaming or anything it is literally just a work computer with maybe 5 - 7 items open on it at any point. ( Internet brousers, outlook, word etc). I did upgrade from 2gb ram to 4gb but it did not make much difference.

I have seen the new Acer Revo R3700 which comes with a 500gb hard drive 4gb ram and 1.8ghz processor. I think it is a dual core processor but not sure.

Please could someone who knows a bit about computers let me know if this is likley to be able to cope with a number of tasks at 1 time and most importantly will it be a big improvement over the R3600. I dont want to go through the whole process of changing computers if there is little improvement.

I really like the Revo as it is very small and sits on the back of my monitor. If anyone knows of a similar PC which may be better then please let me know.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

1. Misc
  2. Acer
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Acer
13 Comments

the cpu in the r3700 is d525 atom
atoms are very slow , i have the revo r3610 which has atom 330 and its very slow for everything and the d525 is only a little faster

the fastest nettop is the ZOTAC ZBOX - HD-ND22 (dual core Celeron SU2300) but i cant find that cheap (200 quid with no ram and hd)

u could build a very fast machine (relative to the atom)for 200 i think

a Intel Celeron G530 (37 quid ) based machine would destroy an atom by miles

arnold.rimmer

the cpu in the r3700 is d525 atom atoms are very slow , i have the revo … the cpu in the r3700 is d525 atom atoms are very slow , i have the revo r3610 which has atom 330 and its very slow for everything and the d525 is only a little fasterthe fastest nettop is the ZOTAC ZBOX - HD-ND22 (dual core Celeron SU2300) but i cant find that cheap (200 quid with no ram and hd)u could build a very fast machine (relative to the atom)for 200 i thinka Intel Celeron G530 (37 quid ) based machine would destroy an atom by miles

how much do you think to build a decent nettop? streaming footy and hd films

if size is imporatant then this is tiny
ebuyer.com/287…s-b
and should be a little faster than atom in r3700 also
but it is expensive

We have the r3610 and I would not recommend it even for basic stuff like web browsing and office apps....so I would definitely go with a fast processor as rimmer recommends
Edited by: "gari189" 2nd Jan 2012

beso

how much do you think to build a decent nettop? streaming footy and hd … how much do you think to build a decent nettop? streaming footy and hd films

i use my revo for that with xp and xbmc dual boot , plays 1080p fine and sopcast for football
the emachines er1401 has been going for around 120 notes but i cant seem to find that now

if you build one its the motherboard that costs the most for size , your looking at 60 notes for mini itx one and then 37 cpu , ram is dirt cheap so 15 , case i guess around 40-50 for a small one

if its just for football and films i would try get the emachines for cheap

beso

how much do you think to build a decent nettop? streaming footy and hd … how much do you think to build a decent nettop? streaming footy and hd films

Buy a revo, they play HD content very well.

Wait, op is using a Revo for something other than xbmc?

Madness I tells ya

sancho1983

Wait, op is using a Revo for something other than xbmc?Madness I tells ya

Our R3610 does get used for light web use just because its always on, but yes it's not fantastic.

If the OP wants a nettop (in traditional form) then a top line dual core from Intel (atom) or AMD (E-350/E-450) is going to set you back £250. If you can live with a shuttle size system then you can get much more power for less cash. ITX case+PSU, FM1 ITX mobo, A4-3400, 8GB ram =£190 then just add a 3.5" hard drive of your choice. You could also add blu-ray drive.

The other option it buy a reasonable spec laptop with a damaged screen of ebay and strap it to the back of your monitor. My bro has a MSI blu-ray laptop strapped to the back of his monitor and works well. Not an option if you want to use more than one screen mind as hardly any laptops have dual screen outputs.

Original Poster

thanks for all your replies. It looks like getting the R3700 is going to be a waste of time and money then. The more I think about it I dont need something that sits on the back of the monitor but it does need to be small so it doesnt look too bad sat on my desk.

Thanks for the suggestions however I am not good when it comes to computers so wouldnt be able to build anything myself. If anyone has any ideas for an off the shelf solution that would be great. Or a company where I can choose my specs and have it built. Ideally looking at between £200 - £350 as a budget without any screens. Also I dont need any operating software.

Thanks again

I use my revo for all my web browsing and media watching I have the R3700 running 1 20" monitor and another 37" tv through the HDMI. I don't tend to have many slowdown problems. I use ultramon to handle the multiple desktop displays. Do you have a 64 bit copy of windows installed?

It sounds like you have became a bit of a power user, you can get some none atom i3 processors which are very quiet running.

Greg Thomson

Thanks for the suggestions however I am not good when it comes to … Thanks for the suggestions however I am not good when it comes to computers so wouldnt be able to build anything myself. If anyone has any ideas for an off the shelf solution that would be great. Or a company where I can choose my specs and have it built. Ideally looking at between £200 - £350 as a budget without any screens. Also I dont need any operating software. Thanks again

Sounds like what you'd like is a Mac Mini - however those are just a tad out of your price range brand new, although Best Buy did have an offer on the base model which after quidco and vouchers came in at the top end of your budget. Refurbs are about £450 from Apple for a Core i5 model. If you can live with a Core2Duo model, you might sneak in under £350.

Might be worth looking on eBay/Gumtree/Loot for a used one.

spraint

Sounds like what you'd like is a Mac Mini - however those are just a tad … Sounds like what you'd like is a Mac Mini - however those are just a tad out of your price range brand new, although Best Buy did have an offer on the base model which after quidco and vouchers came in at the top end of your budget. Refurbs are about £450 from Apple for a Core i5 model. If you can live with a Core2Duo model, you might sneak in under £350.Might be worth looking on eBay/Gumtree/Loot for a used one.

If looking for an Apple Mini Mac, just be sure it´s more than 2GHz... Otherwise you´ll have problems playing HD-films.

Have tried several of the machines mentioned, and my solution at home is a MiniMac. Took the cost of a new one to be able to choose a good CPU and enough RAM. Looking for a Revo for the same use for my father - he´s less picky when it comes to overhead ;-)

The 3610 is more than enough for playing HD-films on a decent flat screen if it´s dedicated to that. If you are going to use it for more purposes or even multitasking, look for something else (something without Atom processors). Standing alone with XP or W7 with the XBMC on top, it´s superb!

J

This sort of thing is why I generally tell people to stay away from Revos. They earned a lot of hype when they were ideal little hosts for XBMC when they were £120, so then Acer doubled the price, and the fanboys still kept raving about them and buying them. Meanwhile, you can buy a Zoostorm G850 desktop PC or a reasonably high-end Core2Duo laptop for the same price as the entry-level Revo. I know which I'd go for.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions