Some help on next TV purchase please

Found 14th Nov 2017
Hi,
With Black Friday round the corner I'm looking at picking up a new TV and don't know where to get started! I'll try to give a full picture of what we're after. Thanks in advance

To put it in perspective, we're happily using a 10 yr old full HD LG (37inch) which has been flawless but we've moved home and the bigger lounge has made me think a larger set is needed with the LG going to the bedroom.

We tend watch terrestrial TV, have basic level netflix/prime and have no urgent need to seek out 4k yet. Standard Sky+ HD. Got an original Xbox one with no urgent desire to upgrade that, likely next purchase there will be a switch for the kids. Enjoying watching blu rays and am still quite happy with that upgrade from dvd.

We've got a budget of around £500 with a wee bit of flexibility and would ideally be looking around the 50inch mark. Been looking closely at the Hisense models but the brand reputation worries me. Totally accept that we're not going to get a top of the line set in our budget but would ideally get something that will be manageable for the next few years without a need to run out and replace. I suppose we will likely end up with Sky Q in the next year or so and obviously we want the best viewing experience we can afford.

So, that's what we're after. I have a feeling I'm getting too bogged down in things like HDR, 10bit vs 8bit and all the other technical bits when I may not even notice.
Any advice on brand, spec or anything else would be superb.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Your on the right track with a hisense 50". They are making really good tv's and don't cost the earth
The best thing to do is to go into a currys or equivalent and look at some of the TVs (be careful not to view any OLEDs or everything will look crap).
4K is the resolution - one thing to watch out for on HDUK threads (on LG models) is the note that its RGBW, which means 3/4 of the pixels display RGB (red green blue) color, whilst 1/4 are W (white). So really its more like a 3K TV with 1K of white filler - this can look odd and have artifacts in some cases. But again, go look at them, because chances are you won't tell.
The next thing is 10bit (true 10bit vs 8bt + something else = '10bit'), is all about the color gamut and the range of colors the TV can physically display - whilst all 4k tvs should 'support' 10bit, ie it can pass10bit signal in (much like 720p TV were HD ready in the sense they can handle a 1080p signal, but could only display 720p) for real HDR you want true 10bit to get the full range of colors - but if you're not watching loads of HDR content (like from an Xbox One, or some Netflix shows) you probably wont notice. It will be a long time before terrestrial TV is 4K let alone HDR.

£500 should get you a decent 50", hell you could get one for around £400 (for example this samsung)
I'd avoid Hisense unless you get a decent warranty.
Thanks folks, great advice and info. Pleased to see that my budget should get me something decent. I've been spoiled with the success of our LG. Do remember putting in a bit of work researching back then and considered myself a bit of an expert at the time. Tech has moved on so much!

Bloody Black Friday keeps me from biting on some of the deals so far, keep telling myself that something better will come along
a8ken2 h, 18 m ago

So, that's what we're after. I have a feeling I'm getting too bogged down …So, that's what we're after. I have a feeling I'm getting too bogged down in things like HDR, 10bit vs 8bit and all the other technical bits when I may not even notice.

You would if you spent the money on a capable TV, and upgraded your content for match.

But at £500 it's really more about the quality of the implementation than the technology, so ignore of the technology stuff and just go for something with good reviews.

I'd say the strongest couple of TVs for picture quality around that price were the 50" Hisense N6800 and the 55" Sony XE70. Both are currently a little above £500 currently, but I'd expect to see the Sony at £550 and the Hisense at £500 in the next few weeks.
beret4breakfast3 h, 8 m ago

4K is the resolution - one thing to watch out for on HDUK threads (on LG …4K is the resolution - one thing to watch out for on HDUK threads (on LG models) is the note that its RGBW, which means 3/4 of the pixels display RGB (red green blue) color, whilst 1/4 are W (white). So really its more like a 3K TV with 1K of white filler - this can look odd and have artifacts in some cases. But again, go look at them, because chances are you won't tell.

It's a rather misleading to call it filler, they add to the image detail in just the same way all of the other subpixels do. In a black and white image you get the full resolution, you only lose a bit of colour definition which the eye isn't as sensitive to anyway. AV technologies have a long history of optimising for colour sensitivity. Every DVD and Blu-ray you've watch has reduced colour resolution compared to black and white for example.

beret4breakfast3 h, 8 m ago

The next thing is 10bit (true 10bit vs 8bt + something else = '10bit'), is …The next thing is 10bit (true 10bit vs 8bt + something else = '10bit'), is all about the color gamut and the range of colors the TV can physically display - whilst all 4k tvs should 'support' 10bit, ie it can pass10bit signal in (much like 720p TV were HD ready in the sense they can handle a 1080p signal, but could only display 720p) for real HDR you want true 10bit to get the full range of colors

That isn't correct. The increase of the range of colours is created by the backlight not the LCD panel. If you wanted to display the full HDR range then you'd need a very wide gamut backlight with an excellent local dimming system (so the brighter colours could be displayed without washing out the dimmer ones).

A 10-bit LCD panel just helps prevent visible steps between colours and has no hand in defining the size of the colour range. 8-bit with dithering is just as effective with the minuscule size of 4K pixels.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 14th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions