some house advice needed................

Ok so about a month ago I had a bid accepted on a house - happy days
so it was subject to a mortgage and surveyors report and all that
so got the mortgage - lovely
got the surveyors report - now on the report the surveyor pointed out that the boiler is original making it 28 years old or thereabouts however when we were viewing the house the vendors father said that it had been replaced 5 years ago............so basically he just blatantly lied to our face.

so what would you have done?

i lowered the offer because i hate being lied and im going to have to get a new boiler, they have rejected the lower offer..........not sure what to do now - just give them the agreed price or walk away - there are still plenty of houses for sale, not many buyers..................they declined the new offer and said that they had already came down loads and couldnt do anymore...........

any advice - anyone been in the same position or had someone lower their offer on you at the last minute?

62 Comments

Walk no run away from that one as you say plenty more houses out there ;-)

Banned

how much lower did you offer? price of replacing boiler or thousands?

Plenty more houses just wait.

We looking into buying and getting a lot of time wasters sellers,I feel like giving up and sticking it out where we are in rented.

Always some excuse why you can't view and so on...

call their bluff and threaten to pull out unless they drop the price by the price of a new boiler or get one installed. at the end of the day tho if you really like the house i am sure you can work something out

ding;5058892

call their bluff and threaten to pull out unless they drop the price by … call their bluff and threaten to pull out unless they drop the price by the price of a new boiler or get one installed. at the end of the day tho if you really like the house i am sure you can work something out

agree :thumbsup:

Banned

i would explain your offer was put in on the idea of no new boiler needed, and now your offer is because of this, depends how much you want the house really

Original Poster

lowered by 2.5k
a new boiler is 1000 +
some pvc windows need replaced too

so maybe lowered by too much but expected them to counter then i would have met them in the middle - not totally unreasonable i thought. Just hate being lied to about such a big purchase
And they have been very accomodating, letting us look around and gettin other stuff done so they are not total timewasters - just comes back to the lies, plus i dont think i would be able to get one in the same street for the same price..............

Oooooooooh 100th post by the way

Banned

if you really want the house then put an offer in of 1,500 less than originally offered, explain this is to acomodate you have a new boiler fitted, and say it is your final offer, although after paying for your report they will be thinking you wont back out, did you not see the new thing you have to have to sell your house, surely the boiler should be on this (sorry forgot what its called)

mind 2,500 isnt over priced for having a new boiler fitted, personally i would explain why you have dropped 1st and see what happens (unless you already have explained)

andymack;5058948

lowered by 2.5ka new boiler is 1000 + some pvc windows need replaced … lowered by 2.5ka new boiler is 1000 + some pvc windows need replaced tooso maybe lowered by too much but expected them to counter then i would have met them in the middle - not totally unreasonable i thought. Just hate being lied to about such a big purchase And they have been very accomodating, letting us look around and gettin other stuff done so they are not total timewasters - just comes back to the lies, plus i dont think i would be able to get one in the same street for the same price..............Oooooooooh 100th post by the way

Some people at MSE wouldn't think knocking off 2.5K is much.There a lot of of boards there to do with house buying.

Supermod

When buying a house there is a well known phrase of "caveat emptor" which means "buyer beware". This is a completely different circumstance as you have been put on notice that the boiler is 28 years old by the surveyor.
If the vendors are adamant that the boiler is only 5 years old then you can ask them to provide you with the log book. The log book will indicate when it was serviced and installed and will also provide details as to whether the installer was Corgi registered.

sassie;5058987

if you really want the house then put an offer in of 1,500 less than … if you really want the house then put an offer in of 1,500 less than originally offered, explain this is to acomodate you have a new boiler fitted, and say it is your final offer, although after paying for your report they will be thinking you wont back out, did you not see the new thing you have to have to sell your house, surely the boiler should be on this (sorry forgot what its called)mind 2,500 isnt over priced for having a new boiler fitted, personally i would explain why you have dropped 1st and see what happens (unless you already have explained)

HIP documents ?? needed to sell a house now

andymack;5058948

lowered by 2.5ka new boiler is 1000 + some pvc windows need replaced … lowered by 2.5ka new boiler is 1000 + some pvc windows need replaced tooso maybe lowered by too much but expected them to counter then i would have met them in the middle - not totally unreasonable i thought. Just hate being lied to about such a big purchase And they have been very accomodating, letting us look around and gettin other stuff done so they are not total timewasters - just comes back to the lies, plus i dont think i would be able to get one in the same street for the same price..............Oooooooooh 100th post by the way

Well I think you will have to smile and say Yes as it appears that you have made your choice in this house. Congrats on the 100:thumbsup:

Banned

faevilangel;5059046

Thank you, couldnt for the life of me think of it, mind went completely blank, shouldnt the boiler have shown on this report

Supermod

faevilangel;5059046

The boiler information will NOT be included in the HIP.

If you like that particular house, and you've looked around, then made an offer, a boiler will prob cost £800, on the whole you'll prob find all boilers bang and clang, so you'd think about changing it. At the end of the day, its the house you've set your mind on, and if you dont go for that one, someone else will, but if hes lied about that, he may have other things to hide. Good luck.

Original Poster

yeah well thats the other problem the fees that i have already incurred - solicitors and surveys

and have already explained why the offer was getting lowered, they just say they have already came down money form the asking price

and when asked for evidence about the boiler they then claimed that they had said no such thing and that we got the wrong end of the stick............................pity it was my mum who asked the question and me, my brother and my mum all heard the same reply 'it was replaced 5 years ago'..................

Supermod

sassie;5059065

Thank you, couldnt for the life of me think of it, mind went completely … Thank you, couldnt for the life of me think of it, mind went completely blank, shouldnt the boiler have shown on this report

Nope. It isnt an authorised document.

Banned

magicjay1986;5059079

The boiler information will NOT be included in the HIP.

magicjay1986;5059088

Nope. It isnt an authorised document.

oh right, thats what i thought the hips was about, to show all these things

Supermod

andymack;5059086

yeah well thats the other problem the fees that i have already incurred - … yeah well thats the other problem the fees that i have already incurred - solicitors and surveysand have already explained why the offer was getting lowered, they just say they have already came down money form the asking priceand when asked for evidence about the boiler they then claimed that they had said no such thing and that we got the wrong end of the stick............................pity it was my mum who asked the question and me, my brother and my mum all heard the same reply 'it was replaced 5 years ago'..................

If you were to have the offer accepted your solicitor would raise this as a standard enquiry. If they were to reply to it the same way that they did to your brother and mother you could have a case for possible misrepresentation. Anything said before the contract probably wouldnt be an inducement as you are of equal bargaining power. If you like the house, put in the offer and have them accept it. Just ensure you have a diligent solicitor and also ensure that you know which enquiries they are raising.

Banned

andy how long has the house een on the market? it really depends on if you deffo want it really, i personally am a stubborn bitch and would want at least another 1000 off the price, but if you deffo want it you may have to just go for it, but i would be happy handing over my money to a liar

Supermod

sassie;5059109

oh right, thats what i thought the hips was about, to show all these … oh right, thats what i thought the hips was about, to show all these things

Unfortunately not. The components of a Home Information Pack are:

Office Copies and Title Plan (from HMLR proving ownership)
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Fixtures Fittings and Contents Form
Sellers Property Information Form
Local Authority Search
Water and Drainage Search.

These are the only authorised documents. Documents such as survey reports do not go into the HIP unfortunately!

Banned

magicjay1986;5059142

Unfortunately not. The components of a Home Information Pack are:Office … Unfortunately not. The components of a Home Information Pack are:Office Copies and Title Plan (from HMLR proving ownership)Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)Fixtures Fittings and Contents FormSellers Property Information FormLocal Authority SearchWater and Drainage Search. These are the only authorised documents. Documents such as survey reports do not go into the HIP unfortunately!

so baically a complete waste of money, but a good little earner for the goverment eh

surely the energy performance cert would show a boiler isnt 5 yr old

Original Poster

sassie;5059138

andy how long has the house een on the market? it really depends on if … andy how long has the house een on the market? it really depends on if you deffo want it really, i personally am a stubborn bitch and would want at least another 1000 off the price, but if you deffo want it you may have to just go for it, but i would be happy handing over my money to a liar

think this is where i am ............stubborn and hate that he lied........

the house wasnt on the market for that long actually - maybe about a month and then it was taken off when i made the offer.........other ones in that street have been on for a couple of months now though - jsut wish they would realise that a buyer is hard to come by and that im not just mucking them about

sassie;5059138

andy how long has the house een on the market? it really depends on if … andy how long has the house een on the market? it really depends on if you deffo want it really, i personally am a stubborn bitch and would want at least another 1000 off the price, but if you deffo want it you may have to just go for it, but i would be happy handing over my money to a liar

I'm with you, I'm stubborn to the point of spiting myself. If it were me, I'd go 1.5k lower than the original and tell them to take it or leave it. And I would definitely walk away if they refused, simply because he lied. Oh, and I'd make sure he knew that's why.

It's quite a difference between 28 years and 5.

I would pursue that rather than indirectly calling them liars. I would not deal with a buyer that called me a liar.

Supermod

sassie;5059156

so baically a complete waste of money, but a good little earner for the … so baically a complete waste of money, but a good little earner for the goverment ehsurely the energy performance cert would show a boiler isnt 5 yr old

Not in so many words really. It just shows how energy efficient the rest of the house is.

My own personal opinion was that the HIPs were introduced to try and steady the housing market a little and to not price people out of being able to afford to buy their own home. They were also under extreme pressure to bring in EPCs as a European Directive (if I remember rightly). Personally I think they should be scrapped. They are a waste of money and time consuming. The document in the HIP are valid for (ranging to and from) 3 months to a year!! The average time a property is on the market at the moment is certainly longer than 3 months which means extra expense for the seller.

Banned

a house with a new boiler should have a prettty high score, one with a boiler of 28 years would be pretty low, surely, i would imagine most of the rating comes from the boiler?

any andy good luck with whatever you decide, but if it was me and i definately knew what i heard, i wouldnt buy anyway, but thats me, a stubborn mule

Supermod

sassie;5059235

a house with a new boiler should have a prettty high score, one with a … a house with a new boiler should have a prettty high score, one with a boiler of 28 years would be pretty low, surely, i would imagine most of the rating comes from the boiler?any andy good luck with whatever you decide, but if it was me and i definately knew what i heard, i wouldnt buy anyway, but thats me, a stubborn mule

There is ALOT of truth in what you say but a boiler of 28 years with the best insulation in the world would be better than a 5 year old boiler with no insulation whatsoever, I think.

andymack;5059086

yeah well thats the other problem the fees that i have already incurred - … yeah well thats the other problem the fees that i have already incurred - solicitors and surveysand have already explained why the offer was getting lowered, they just say they have already came down money form the asking priceand when asked for evidence about the boiler they then claimed that they had said no such thing and that we got the wrong end of the stick............................pity it was my mum who asked the question and me, my brother and my mum all heard the same reply 'it was replaced 5 years ago'..................

Perhaps it was replaced 5 years ago, just with a second hand boiler.

Banned

magicjay1986;5059267

There is ALOT of truth in what you say but a boiler of 28 years with the … There is ALOT of truth in what you say but a boiler of 28 years with the best insulation in the world would be better than a 5 year old boiler with no insulation whatsoever, I think.

well thats all easy to see, op did you see the hip?

sassie;5059235

a house with a new boiler should have a prettty high score, one with a … a house with a new boiler should have a prettty high score, one with a boiler of 28 years would be pretty low, surely, i would imagine most of the rating comes from the boiler?any andy good luck with whatever you decide, but if it was me and i definately knew what i heard, i wouldnt buy anyway, but thats me, a stubborn mule

A boiler is a boiler, all it does is burn gas and heat water, it's not going to make a huge difference either way (that's not to say it won't make a difference), the main difference is where the heat goes after being generated.

Banned

pghstochaj;5059324

A boiler is a boiler, all it does is burn gas and heat water, it's not … A boiler is a boiler, all it does is burn gas and heat water, it's not going to make a huge difference either way (that's not to say it won't make a difference), the main difference is where the heat goes after being generated.

yes it does make a difference, my fuel bill has halfed (in units used) since i had a new condensor boiler, therfore my hme is now rated better than before, only thing that has changed is the boiler

Original Poster

sassie;5059307

well thats all easy to see, op did you see the hip?

no never actually received it............

Banned

andymack;5059379

no never actually received it............

why? was it not offered? or is it something your supposed to ask for?

Original Poster

pghstochaj;5059291

Perhaps it was replaced 5 years ago, just with a second hand boiler.

we had considered that too but nope - just the original boiler that hasnt been touched..........!!!

Original Poster

sassie;5059390

why? was it not offered? or is it something your supposed to ask for?

was never actually offered to me...........is it law that they have to get it done? even in good old northern ireland?

Banned

andymack;5059409

was never actually offered to me...........is it law that they have to … was never actually offered to me...........is it law that they have to get it done? even in good old northern ireland?

I know it is here, if the house is being advertised it has to have one, sorry thats all i know :oops:

sassie;5059342

yes it does make a difference, my fuel bill has halfed (in units used) … yes it does make a difference, my fuel bill has halfed (in units used) since i had a new condensor boiler, therfore my hme is now rated better than before, only thing that has changed is the boiler

My work with SEDBUK suggests condensers are 82% to 89% efficient (thermal, based on the HHV). A typical non-condensing boiler is 70% to 80% efficient. It's certainly not the world changing efficiency that manufactures would like you to believe.

andymack;5059396

we had considered that too but nope - just the original boiler that hasnt … we had considered that too but nope - just the original boiler that hasnt been touched..........!!!

Have you checked with the surveyor? They may have just missed changing that number on the document?

magicjay1986;5059121

If you were to have the offer accepted your solicitor would raise this as … If you were to have the offer accepted your solicitor would raise this as a standard enquiry. If they were to reply to it the same way that they did to your brother and mother you could have a case for possible misrepresentation. Anything said before the contract probably wouldnt be an inducement as you are of equal bargaining power. If you like the house, put in the offer and have them accept it. Just ensure you have a diligent solicitor and also ensure that you know which enquiries they are raising.

Very sound advice :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions