Some idiot reversed into me and drove away - Claim my insurance?

Found 4th Jan 2013
Long story short i was in a supermarket car park driving up the main isle and some old idiot (old i got from my witness) reversed straight into me damaging my back drivers door and my back panel & bumper. He then drove off super fast! I got most of his registration but never got the last letter. Is it worth claiming on my own insurance? I have protected no claims but the guy from my insurance company says that dosnt mean my premium wont go up. In his opinion my premium will go up next year the repair is about £300 my excess is £100 is it worth paying it out my own pocket and keeping my premium down or should i just claim through my own insurance?
Community Updates
MiscInsurance
52 Comments
you will need to contact police NOT your insurance to report it.

you can ask supermarket for CCTV evidence.

if you claim whether it was your fault or not it will affect your quote you get next year as it proves to them you will contact them for any claim.

how much is your car worth?
garbage456

how much is your car worth?

I have contacted the police who told me there is nothing they can do as it is a private car park. The supermarket has the accident on CCTV which clearly shows it was his fault but they are unable to see his registration. They will not give me a copy of the disk as they say only the police can request this from them and the police don't care lol. It's not the money its the principal you don't expect this of someone who is 65/70+ .

My car is worth about £3500
I'd say get it repaired out of your own pocket. I work for an insurance firm and your premiums will increase regardless as a claim is registered on your history. If you have already informed your insurers about the incident, make sure they haven't lodged it as a claim. Hope that helps
whatsThePoint

can't see it being worth £3500 with that sort of damage

Ok it was worth £3500 now worth 50p.
i also work in car insurance. depending on who your insured with if youve already told them you had an accident regardless of weather you claim or not it may still affect your premiums next yr as it will be logged as an incident that you didnt claim for.
Police can't do anything?
A crime has been committed.
Failure to report an accident.
willhay555

Police can't do anything?A crime has been committed.Failure to report an … Police can't do anything?A crime has been committed.Failure to report an accident.

Apparantly in Scotland as no one was hurt and it was private ground no go.

Oh forgot to mention option 3 - go rogue!

I live in a small village and as this was in my local very small supermarket at 10 in the morning my money is on he's local. do i trawl the streets on the off chance?

I'm more annoyed at myself for not doing something at the time, i had 2 kids in the car so couldn't exactly chase after him.
There is a DVLA webpage where you can enter reg no and make to check when tax is due. If you can tell what make the car was, possibly helped by the cctv pics and you have all but the last letter of his registratio. You may be able to work through the possible last letters on the DVLA webpage till you get a hit. I'll have a dig but someone here may know the URL. Good luck
Sadly I think you'll have to be out of pocket, sorry
There is a DVLA webpage where you can enter reg no and make to check when tax is due. If you can tell what make the car was, possibly helped by the cctv pics and you have all but the last letter of his registratio. You may be able to work through the possible last letters on the DVLA webpage till you get a hit. I'll have a dig but someone here may know the URL. Good luck
Fluffykins

There is a DVLA webpage where you can enter reg no and make to check when … There is a DVLA webpage where you can enter reg no and make to check when tax is due. If you can tell what make the car was, possibly helped by the cctv pics and you have all but the last letter of his registratio. You may be able to work through the possible last letters on the DVLA webpage till you get a hit. I'll have a dig but someone here may know the URL. Good luck

You also need the previous MOT cert or the ID from the log book for this.
Which supermarket is it? In Tesco we have to register our car on a system for staff and visitors so they don't send fines for staying over the allotted time, the cameras facing the entrance and exit automatically reads the number plate, when we start typing our reg number it filters out the cars that match what you type, could just ask them to put your partial number plate in and retrieve the last digit for you.
@ Chiptivo: No, I've done almost exactly this to check the make of a van when I just had the reg.
@ Chiptivo: No, I've done almost exactly this to check the make of a van when I just had the reg.
Anyone get reg, if you need store to check cctv, the police will have to check it as public cant ( from expperience)
REQUEST the copy of the video under section 7 of the data protection act, tell them you were sitting in the car etc and they are required by law to provide it.
Police are useless. Unless it's in the papers they ain't interested.

I would pay for the repair myself. The couple of hundred pounds you would get from them for this repair will quickly be recovered be higher insurance premiums for many years to come for you. Yes, your NCB % discount will be maintained as it's protected but the base value will increase a lot even for this little knock, so it will increase your premium still.

Also most NCB protections give you some many claims per 3-5 years. So you'll lose 1 of those lives if you claim.

Shoulda drove after him. But not getting the last letter isn't so bad, won't be hard to find out where he lives then.
I was parked in Tesco car park and there was a tannoy message asking me to come to customer services - 2 woman had seen another car reverse into mine and drive away a few moments later; they had noted the reg no. When I inspected my car there was an enormous hole in the bumper but no actual body damage. I phoned the police who told me to drive to the police station where they took the details, and I then informed my insurance company. The police got back to me the following week and said they had spoken with the driver who said he had waited for a while (untrue) and that when I hadn't returned he had left. The police said he had not committed an offence oO
I ended up getting my car repaired by someone I know and the insurance company logged it as an incident but not a claim so it didn't affect my insurance. I'm still annoyed that the driver got away with it, though, and I had to pay for the damage!
i_am_legend

I'd say get it repaired out of your own pocket. I work for an insurance … I'd say get it repaired out of your own pocket. I work for an insurance firm and your premiums will increase regardless as a claim is registered on your history. If you have already informed your insurers about the incident, make sure they haven't lodged it as a claim. Hope that helps

the premium will go up anyway regardless of the claim being lodged

you have to declare any accidents on renewal anyway

i am staggered the police are this useless

then again, maybe i'm not

I understood the law to be if someone is injured or property damaged then it's a police issue?

maybe it's tesco's private car park but it's also a public place!

I hate supermarket car parks, best to park furthest from entrance.
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 5th Jan 2013
Becomes an offence under section 170 of the road traffic act IF public place and as a public place is defined as access by the public by payment of otherwise I'm sure it's defined. But it's quite unclear in the RTA if a supermarket car park is defined as public.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

BUT there is a stated case Bowman v DPP that defines a car park NOT as a road as it's for cars to wait and not to drive on in theory.

S.170 apples on a public road unless they have reason not to stop e.g not practicable or danger. They have 24 hours to report it at a police station filling out a self reporting form.

With regards to prosecuting them police would contact the R/K address and they would have to state who was driving at the time for that section, if anything could go down the lines of criminal damage BUT to be honest it wouldn't be investigated at the slightest because there's no way to prove who was driving and to prove crim dam have to show he was intentional or reckless and all depends on where it happened i.e in an area with lots of knife crime it wouldnt be taken on. You would need to know the exact reg, exact time, exact location etc, but as said it would not be in the publics interest to spend a few hours and tax payers money investigating a prang to your car,

Regards to CCTV tesco probably wouldnt help you would take lots of persuading to get the cctv viewed unless you have exact times etc and even that is hard as cctv sucks in my dealings with it.

I would recommend contacting the DVLA I believe you can have an appeal to get hold of the r/k address but even that isn't going to get you anywhere. Sorry but looks like you stuck
dandoc2

Becomes an offence under section 170 of the road traffic act IF public … Becomes an offence under section 170 of the road traffic act IF public place and as a public place is defined as access by the public by payment of otherwise I'm sure it's defined. But it's quite unclear in the RTA if a supermarket car park is defined as public.http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170BUT there is a stated case Bowman v DPP that defines a car park NOT as a road as it's for cars to wait and not to drive on in theory.S.170 apples on a public road unless they have reason not to stop e.g not practicable or danger. They have 24 hours to report it at a police station filling out a self reporting form.With regards to prosecuting them police would contact the R/K address and they would have to state who was driving at the time for that section, if anything could go down the lines of criminal damage BUT to be honest it wouldn't be investigated at the slightest because there's no way to prove who was driving and to prove crim dam have to show he was intentional or reckless and all depends on where it happened i.e in an area with lots of knife crime it wouldnt be taken on. You would need to know the exact reg, exact time, exact location etc, but as said it would not be in the publics interest to spend a few hours and tax payers money investigating a prang to your car,Regards to CCTV tesco probably wouldnt help you would take lots of persuading to get the cctv viewed unless you have exact times etc and even that is hard as cctv sucks in my dealings with it.I would recommend contacting the DVLA I believe you can have an appeal to get hold of the r/k address but even that isn't going to get you anywhere. Sorry but looks like you stuck

I believe it's a public place if members of the public are present, as opposed to your garden whereby you can ask anyone to leave making it private, any person has implied consent to approach your front door but if asked to leave they would have to.

Tesco's premises would be a public place in my book!
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 5th Jan 2013
leitchyleck

I believe it's a public place if members of the public are present, as … I believe it's a public place if members of the public are present, as opposed to your garden whereby you can ask anyone to leave making it private, any person has implied consent to approach your front door but if asked to leave they would have to.Tesco's premises would be a public place in my book!

tesco can ask you to leave also
still.. think its a bit rough to ignore this crime as it happened in a private car park

off out visiting local coppers and smashing windows on their private property... works?
so does this mean we have carte blanche to drive into police cars in supermarket car parks and drive away in the full knowledge that the police would say no crime has been committed?
Fluffykins

@ Chiptivo: No, I've done almost exactly this to check the make of a van … @ Chiptivo: No, I've done almost exactly this to check the make of a van when I just had the reg.

THe below is all the information that can be obtained from a Reg Number and make.
Does not really help the op.

Date of Liability 01 04 2013
Date of First Registration 14 05 2004
Year of Manufacture 2004
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2401cc
CO2 Emissions 171g/Km
Fuel Type HEAVY OIL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval M1
Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £107.25
12 Months Rate £195.00
Chiptivo

THe below is all the information that can be obtained from a Reg Number … THe below is all the information that can be obtained from a Reg Number and make.Does not really help the op.Date of Liability 01 04 2013Date of First Registration 14 05 2004Year of Manufacture 2004Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2401ccCO2 Emissions 171g/KmFuel Type HEAVY OILExport Marker NVehicle Status Licence Not DueVehicle Colour BLUEVehicle Type Approval M1Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle6 Months Rate £107.2512 Months Rate £195.00

must have changed recently as you always used to be able to get an address from a regno (with sufficient good cause )
csiman

so does this mean we have carte blanche to drive into police cars in … so does this mean we have carte blanche to drive into police cars in supermarket car parks and drive away in the full knowledge that the police would say no crime has been committed?

No car crime has been committed. Others can be.

For instance, my understanding is that I can drive round a private car park with no license, no insurance, drunk, and I can be stopped and maybe charged with criminal damage (If I have damaged something) but I can not be charged with any traffic charges?
if I was in this situation and knew the cars reg I would insist the police did something about it, we have a witness!

don't care if it's Tesco's car park or buck palace.

it's careless driving and failing to stop at minimum, the fact that the driver sped off could indicate other offences, ppl should not get off with this,

The old boy is probably terrified of losing his license.

I bet he is at home now shaking, curtain twitching.
leitchyleck

if I was in this situation and knew the cars reg I would insist the … if I was in this situation and knew the cars reg I would insist the police did something about it, we have a witness!don't care if it's Tesco's car park or buck palace.it's careless driving and failing to stop at minimum, the fact that the driver sped off could indicate other offences, ppl should not get off with this,

You have to look at it this way, it's going to take time to go and speak to tesco and ask for CCTV, then go back and obtain it, view the CCTV, create the crime report in the first place is going to be an hour ish, then if the VRM is there you need to go and find the keeper. That's what 3-5hours before anythings even been done never mind summonsing the person to court etc it would cost thousands to find out who did it meaning it would outway the cost of the damage ergo it would not be in the public interest trust me

and

csiman

so does this mean we have carte blanche to drive into police cars in … so does this mean we have carte blanche to drive into police cars in supermarket car parks and drive away in the full knowledge that the police would say no crime has been committed?

That would become criminal damage then......but it is stupid I know what you're saying but the law is the law
If you have filed a police report and have a number, have a witness and have a repair estimate from a garage apparantly you can request his details from the DVLA by filling in V888 form (so the policewoman told me). The policewoman was very nice and told me they could get his details of there computer and give him a call and try and get him to call me but that was the best she could do.
So i think i will request his details from the DVLA as mental as it sounds its not the money its the principal of the thing, people should not get away with these sorts of things.

Once i have his address who knows, go to his door and try and get him to own up?
dandoc2

and That would become criminal damage then......but it is stupid I know … and That would become criminal damage then......but it is stupid I know what you're saying but the law is the law

driving into a police car is criminal damage but driving into OPs car isn't?
dandoc2

and That would become criminal damage then......but it is stupid I know … and That would become criminal damage then......but it is stupid I know what you're saying but the law is the law

so what happened to the OP is criminal damage therefore the police have a duty to investigate

ewan231210

If you have filed a police report and have a number, have a witness and … If you have filed a police report and have a number, have a witness and have a repair estimate from a garage apparantly you can request his details from the DVLA by filling in V888 form (so the policewoman told me). The policewoman was very nice and told me they could get his details of there computer and give him a call and try and get him to call me but that was the best she could do. So i think i will request his details from the DVLA as mental as it sounds its not the money its the principal of the thing, people should not get away with these sorts of things. Once i have his address who knows, go to his door and try and get him to own up?

ring them up and explain the situation and that you have a witness, visit the address and take photos of their car with damage (if any).

If they refuse / deny responsibility, then just say you will be taking them to court (small claims court). Only costs about £50 I think.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants