Some #*%! Keeps Stealing My Wheel Centre Caps

Found 12th Nov 2017
2826482-Onsdq.jpg

Hi all,

In need of some advice please. My car is always either parked on the side of my house (on driveway) or right in front of my house. I live in a newly built, quiet area (low crime rate at present).

Over the last 5-6 months or so, my four wheel centre caps off my car (VW Golf GTD 16 plate) have been nicked. I’ve replaced them 3 times but it does seem my car is being targeted. It seems they don’t want to steal the actual car, just my wheel caps.

I have CCTV on my house however because the offender is fully covered up, it’s no good to the police or me. I’ve not reported it to insurance company (what’s the point?!) CCTV is clearly no deterrent to the offender. The spotlight makes no difference to the offender neither.

I don’t have any beef with anyone (neighbours etc) so highly unlikely that someone is doing it to just piss me off. My car alarm doesn’t go off, as it’s so easy just to pick them off with a straight screwdriver.

They are relatively cheap to replace but I’m fed up of it happening. I can’t stay up all night staking out as I have a new born baby and am absolutely exhausted!

If I was to replace them, is there a more secure way to attach them? I’m guessing I can’t super glue them as I would need access to wheel nuts at some point.

All advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached a rape alarm using fishing wire, scared the **** out of them! Not had one go missing since
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 12th Nov 2017
43 Comments
Not a lot you can do about it. But don’t glue them on. Personally I would just leave them off and problems solved.
Wadda3 m ago

Not a lot you can do about it. But don’t glue them on. Personally I would …Not a lot you can do about it. But don’t glue them on. Personally I would just leave them off and problems solved.

Yeah that’s my final option - car looks crap without them though! But at the moment I’ve not attached replacement caps yet. Thank you though
Put a camera close by and record what happens.
Recording them will do sod all.
Cat deterrent . PIR sensor attached to a hosepipe such as

At least you'll have the pleasure of giving your thief a soaking . I believe nicking these was rife in the 80's, a Punk thing I believe . VW = Very Wicked . Worn on a chain round the neck . maybe some sort of revival of that ?
Edited by: "rogparki" 12th Nov 2017
I wouldn't find a more secure way of putting them on, your only going get more damage caused, at least if they're easy to remove your only losing the caps and not having to repair the wheels.
rogparki6 m ago

Cat deterrent . PIR sensor attached to a hosepipe such as …Cat deterrent . PIR sensor attached to a hosepipe such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0153BJ7NQ/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3OD8GSLHS0VREAt least you'll have the pleasure of giving your thief a soaking . I believe nicking these was rife in the 80's, a Punk thing I believe . VW = Very Wicked . Worn on a chain round the neck . maybe some sort of revival of that ?

I didn’t even know such a thing existed! If it works then worth £20.. thank you for link.

I’d like to give him more than a soaking but then it’ll be me who finds myself on the wrong side of the law.. & thank you for the interesting fact about them being worn around the neck, never seen such a thing!
barriey4 m ago

I wouldn't find a more secure way of putting them on, your only going get …I wouldn't find a more secure way of putting them on, your only going get more damage caused, at least if they're easy to remove your only losing the caps and not having to repair the wheels.

Yeah very true - I’m just fed up of it. Wish they’d just go buy them off Amazon/eBay themselves. I could easily rob them off someone else’s car but I wouldn’t do that to anyone.
Hennah7 m ago

I didn’t even know such a thing existed! If it works then worth £20.. th …I didn’t even know such a thing existed! If it works then worth £20.. thank you for link. I’d like to give him more than a soaking but then it’ll be me who finds myself on the wrong side of the law.. & thank you for the interesting fact about them being worn around the neck, never seen such a thing!

Back in those days it was the VW badge off the grille that got nicked , hence loads of VWs with circular holes in the grille .

Check out your local Punk club (if there is one ) maybe you'll find your badges . At any rate should get a few pesky cats soaked
reminds me of when i had the mercedes. i parked it in the street in front of my house and people kept trying to steal the wheels. we drove off one day and heard a clank noise so stopped the car. when we got out, the two front wheels were about to fall off! all the nuts had been removed but the thieves must have been disturbed before he could remove the wheels. it was fortunate that they did not fully fall off the axle before we stopped the car, else the damage would have been significant.

i had to put locks on the wheels which stopped them trying to steal them. the mercedes wheels had the mercedes logo on the wheels itself so there was no wheel cap to worry about, else that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes!
Ahhhh off the grille, it’s just annoying. I worked really hard to save up the money for my car and I paid it off. It took me a long time but I got the car I wanted so I’m just wounded that people do that petty nasty behaviour towards one another. I mean, they’ve gone missing 3 times now so that’s 12 caps altogether. What on earth do they need 12 wheel caps for?!

Don’t even get me started on the cats, my front garden is the only grassed one on my road (all others have either paved or put down gravel) so they happily come to dig out little holes and do their business in the night.. then I come out in the morning (suffering from sleep deprivation) and see cat If I cant get the thieving toe rag, I’ll get the cats haha.. I’ve ordered it just now. Many thanks x
Hennah31 m ago

I didn’t even know such a thing existed! If it works then worth £20.. th …I didn’t even know such a thing existed! If it works then worth £20.. thank you for link. I’d like to give him more than a soaking but then it’ll be me who finds myself on the wrong side of the law.. & thank you for the interesting fact about them being worn around the neck, never seen such a thing!

The Beastie Boys in the 80's were to blame for the VW badges being nicked from the front grilles on cars ;

32420126-TkCOC.jpg
Edited by: "andynicol" 12th Nov 2017
You've got clever thieves. It took me ages to work out how to get them off when I had a puncture.
Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached a rape alarm using fishing wire, scared the **** out of them! Not had one go missing since
Edited by moderator: "removed swear" 12th Nov 2017
CrikeyBlimey42 m ago

Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached …Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached a rape alarm using fishing wire, scared the **** out of them! Not had one go missing since

When i lived in london, my plant pots were stolen so i ran a metal wire through them all to keep them together. The thief could not steal a plant pot on its own, unless he had a wire cutter. They were never stolen again
Hennah1 h, 42 m ago

Thing is, it'll activate when some innocent person is simply walking by and they'll get a soaking too.
Hennah1 h, 38 m ago

Ahhhh off the grille, it’s just annoying. I worked really hard to save up t …Ahhhh off the grille, it’s just annoying. I worked really hard to save up the money for my car and I paid it off. It took me a long time but I got the car I wanted so I’m just wounded that people do that petty nasty behaviour towards one another. I mean, they’ve gone missing 3 times now so that’s 12 caps altogether. What on earth do they need 12 wheel caps for?! Don’t even get me started on the cats, my front garden is the only grassed one on my road (all others have either paved or put down gravel) so they happily come to dig out little holes and do their business in the night.. then I come out in the morning (suffering from sleep deprivation) and see cat If I cant get the thieving toe rag, I’ll get the cats haha.. I’ve ordered it just now. Many thanks x

Cats don't like lavender, rosemary, geraniums and also citronella smells, so you could try planting a couple of them to deter them coming in your garden.
heres a link to some handy info
saga.co.uk/mag…den
good luck and sorry your caps are being stolen. Can't have anything nice without someone wanting to damage or make money of it
CrikeyBlimey1 h, 14 m ago

Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached …Someone kept stealing my plant pots outside the front door. So I attached a rape alarm using fishing wire, scared the **** out of them! Not had one go missing since

I connected a rape alarm to my parcel shelf and attached the pull cord to the back seat of my hatchback. Sadly this was to protect speaker lot number two.
rogparki2 h, 29 m ago

Back in those days it was the VW badge off the grille that got nicked , …Back in those days it was the VW badge off the grille that got nicked , hence loads of VWs with circular holes in the grille . Check out your local Punk club (if there is one ) maybe you'll find your badges . At any rate should get a few pesky cats soaked

Showing your age parki - the band ws "The Beastie Boys" - adoptionbirthmothers.com/tot…ic/ - I doubt they're having a revival!

The thief obviously thinks it it easy pickings - just have to scare (or best catch) him once!
Hennah2 h, 24 m ago

Ahhhh off the grille, it’s just annoying. I worked really hard to save up t …Ahhhh off the grille, it’s just annoying. I worked really hard to save up the money for my car and I paid it off. It took me a long time but I got the car I wanted so I’m just wounded that people do that petty nasty behaviour towards one another. I mean, they’ve gone missing 3 times now so that’s 12 caps altogether. What on earth do they need 12 wheel caps for?! Don’t even get me started on the cats, my front garden is the only grassed one on my road (all others have either paved or put down gravel) so they happily come to dig out little holes and do their business in the night.. then I come out in the morning (suffering from sleep deprivation) and see cat If I cant get the thieving toe rag, I’ll get the cats haha.. I’ve ordered it just now. Many thanks x

They tried to take the entire car with mine. They used whatever battering ram device it is they use to snap my front door lock in order to get to the keys. Fortunately I'm a really bad sleeper and I heard them. Four hours later they came back to finish the job. I heard them again and they ran off. Now installed snap proof locks front and back. I live in a new build too. I did try putting the car in the garage but it is so narrow you would have to get out through the boot and ridiculously the insurance is more. They steal gtd's to order round here for the sat nav system. I hate the sat nav with a passion. They could have the damn thing. It is such a shame that you can't have something nice without some lowlife thinking they have the right to take it
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 5 m ago

You've got clever thieves. It took me ages to work out how to get them off …You've got clever thieves. It took me ages to work out how to get them off when I had a puncture.

This is going to hurt

It's because you are a woman so just get back in the kitchen and finish the washing up. Mines "NATO Standard"

philphil616 m ago

This is going to hurt It's because you are a woman so just get back in …This is going to hurt It's because you are a woman so just get back in the kitchen and finish the washing up. Mines "NATO Standard"

Then who would change the bloody wheel? Didn't see you volunteering. It was January, pitch black and pouring down. I was a mile from home. So nearly abandoned the thing on friend's drive until the morning
Look on eBay now and see who's selling them locally then mark the next set with a security marker and when they get nicked look on eBay again for items nearest first
psychobitchfromhell16 m ago

Then who would change the bloody wheel? Didn't see you volunteering. It …Then who would change the bloody wheel? Didn't see you volunteering. It was January, pitch black and pouring down. I was a mile from home. So nearly abandoned the thing on friend's drive until the morning

Ouch

I would have volunteered for sure except... oh lets not go there!!!! ( hotukdeals.com/dis…561 )

I think you need hitting with a wet kipper - and I'm not trying to sound sarcastic... honest << my attempt at trying to be helpful follows.

I know, from previous comments/discussions, about your circumstances and just can't understand, taking all that info into consideration, why you aren't a member of one of the reputable road side assistance agencies (AA / RAC etc) who, AFAIK, offer (excuse the expression) "lone woman" additional, speedy assistance. They understand (so they say).

Yes be proud that you managed to sort out what for many women and some men would be a very difficult task taking into consideration of everything but you didn't need to struggle.

And yes if you was my neighbour/family/friend in need of assistance and local(ish) I'd have been there NATO Standard or not ..... but you get a quicker job done if I'm refreshed
Get some land mines
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 9 m ago

Cats don't like lavender, rosemary, geraniums and also citronella smells, …Cats don't like lavender, rosemary, geraniums and also citronella smells, so you could try planting a couple of them to deter them coming in your garden.heres a link to some handy info https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/advice-tips/pests/how-to-keep-cats-out-of-your-garden good luck and sorry your caps are being stolen. Can't have anything nice without someone wanting to damage or make money of it

Thank you very much for all suggestions x
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 31 m ago

They tried to take the entire car with mine. They used whatever battering …They tried to take the entire car with mine. They used whatever battering ram device it is they use to snap my front door lock in order to get to the keys. Fortunately I'm a really bad sleeper and I heard them. Four hours later they came back to finish the job. I heard them again and they ran off. Now installed snap proof locks front and back. I live in a new build too. I did try putting the car in the garage but it is so narrow you would have to get out through the boot and ridiculously the insurance is more. They steal gtd's to order round here for the sat nav system. I hate the sat nav with a passion. They could have the damn thing. It is such a shame that you can't have something nice without some lowlife thinking they have the right to take it

Agree with everything you’ve said I had to install the snap proof locks too - is this just a new build thing?? See, these people really have got guts to come back and try to finish the job off! Who do they think they are? It’s not easy saving up after working so damn hard and having a nice car - only then for these idiots to try to take it. It’s not on, it really makes me mad.

My garage is exactly the same, far too narrow to park a car in it - can’t even swing a cat (which I would if I caught them doing their business on my lawn again)..

& about the sat nav, I don’t even use it! They can have the bloody thing. Just leave my car alone.. lowlifes.. you said it mate xx
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 30 m ago

Cats don't like lavender, rosemary, geraniums and also citronella smells, …Cats don't like lavender, rosemary, geraniums and also citronella smells, so you could try planting a couple of them to deter them coming in your garden.heres a link to some handy info https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/advice-tips/pests/how-to-keep-cats-out-of-your-garden good luck and sorry your caps are being stolen. Can't have anything nice without someone wanting to damage or make money of it

Cheers
Hennah14 m ago

Agree with everything you’ve said I had to install the snap proof l …Agree with everything you’ve said I had to install the snap proof locks too - is this just a new build thing?? See, these people really have got guts to come back and try to finish the job off! Who do they think they are? It’s not easy saving up after working so damn hard and having a nice car - only then for these idiots to try to take it. It’s not on, it really makes me mad. My garage is exactly the same, far too narrow to park a car in it - can’t even swing a cat (which I would if I caught them doing their business on my lawn again).. & about the sat nav, I don’t even use it! They can have the bloody thing. Just leave my car alone.. lowlifes.. you said it mate xx

I put a snap proof lock on the back when I first moved in because it was a patio door. It didn't even occur to me to do the front because I've always had a proper lock before. It cost me about £50 for the lock and it took me about 15 minutes to fit (after I had undone the damage my would be visitors had created) When you pay the guts of a quarter of a million quid for a house, you would think they could go the extra mile. I'm glad it isn't just me that doesn't use the sat nav. I hate the thing with a passion. I'm waiting for my latest ticket because she directed me into a bus lane in the middle of Sheffield a fortnight ago. Then she told me to go the wrong way down a one way street in Leeds. I hate hate hate hate hate her.
.MUFC.13 m ago

Stick some Skoda stickers over the top.

Yeah that will get em
philphil611 h, 40 m ago

Ouch I would have volunteered for sure except... oh lets not go …Ouch I would have volunteered for sure except... oh lets not go there!!!! ( https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/philphil61-goes-ice-skating-2591561 )I think you need hitting with a wet kipper - and I'm not trying to sound sarcastic... honest << my attempt at trying to be helpful follows.I know, from previous comments/discussions, about your circumstances and just can't understand, taking all that info into consideration, why you aren't a member of one of the reputable road side assistance agencies (AA / RAC etc) who, AFAIK, offer (excuse the expression) "lone woman" additional, speedy assistance. They understand (so they say).Yes be proud that you managed to sort out what for many women and some men would be a very difficult task taking into consideration of everything but you didn't need to struggle.And yes if you was my neighbour/family/friend in need of assistance and local(ish) I'd have been there NATO Standard or not ..... but you get a quicker job done if I'm refreshed

Fair point. I had that with my bank account but it became non cost effective when I didn't have two cars, two mobile phones and the need for family travel insurance cover. Also, when I gave up work to be there for my son after my "change of circumstances" , I lost the discount I had for working for said bank. It is one of those things on the to do list but given the car is fairly new you don't think it will break down. You don't really think about changing a wheel in the dark and the rain in January. Family 250 miles away so they are no use and friend whose drive I ended up on can't drive so hasn't a Scooby doo how to change a wheel. I was meant to be taking her to buy blinds from b&q . When it is pissing rain and freezing cold it is amazing how many people can't see you. My friend's ex husband did try to help but he wasn't much use and I felt guilty about him being stuck out in the rain so told him I would work it out.
Just an idea Buy a cheap engraver and engrave the inside with "stolen from" (add your car registration model, postcode etc) Then they would not be able to sell them on perhaps?
Cassie131246 m ago

Just an idea Buy a cheap engraver and engrave the inside with "stolen …Just an idea Buy a cheap engraver and engrave the inside with "stolen from" (add your car registration model, postcode etc) Then they would not be able to sell them on perhaps?

That’s a fantastic idea - no harm in doing that. Thanks
I'd seriously consider moving out of Liverpool
barry.turner39 m ago

I'd seriously consider moving out of Liverpool

& what if you don’t live in Liverpool? I wouldn’t let anyone drive me out of my home.
Brave comments. I do live near Liverpool and suffered four years of malicious abuse and criminal damage that almost broke me. In the end I moved.
Can you buy blank wheel centres maybe they won't get stolen, if and when you sell/replace the car just replace the blank ones with the VW ones.
Use a motion sensor flood light to scare them off!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions