Groups

Some of the most important decisions of your life? Need help!

Hi all,

This isn't as serious as it sounds. I teach English to foreign students and we are going to talk about important past decisions they have (or haven't) made and their consequences. I'd like to give them examples from native speakers.

I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to post about something you have or haven't done which has had an impact on your like now or in the past.

I'll start with myself. In 1993 I went to london with a friend and we stayed in a youth hostel. One evening he talked me into going to a nightclub, the Camden Palace, where I met a girl whom I've been with ever since.
    If I hadn't gone out that night, I wouldn't have met her, and god knows what my life would be like now!
    I know, it's not very original, that's why I'm hoping you've got better stories (o;

37 Comments

staying in to play computer games on night when i was 18, instead of going 'for a drive' with friends.

Car crashed, one girl got serious burns and has been scared for life.

jasonodell;7530746

staying in to play computer games on night when i was 18, instead of … staying in to play computer games on night when i was 18, instead of going 'for a drive' with friends.Car crashed, one girl got serious burns and has been scared for life.

damn

jasonodell;7530746

staying in to play computer games on night when i was 18, instead of … staying in to play computer games on night when i was 18, instead of going 'for a drive' with friends.Car crashed, one girl got serious burns and has been scared for life.

OMG thats awful

Years ago when we got our dog (that we still have now) my partner wasnt keen on getting it. Few days after getting her she fell really ill and it turns out she was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and it turned out our gas fire was faulty. We had also been feeling ill too but thought we had flu coming on - we were taken to hospital and there for two days.

I know it sounds OTT but that dog saved our lives as you hear about people dying of carbon monoxide poisoning - and we were so grateful that we did decide that day to get her

jellybaby22;7530781

logged on here

how do we know ur really pregnant though

You must be getting so excited now JB - and soooo fat :w00t: are u keeping okay

I was once on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers, i had my arms stretched out, anyway something made me put them back inside.................

within seconds we turned a corner and went through a tunnel, if i hadnt put them back in i would of lost both arms .

Will always remember that day!

transit;7530859

I was once on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers, i had my arms stretched … I was once on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers, i had my arms stretched out, anyway something made me put them back inside.................within seconds we turned a corner and went through a tunnel, if i hadnt put them back in i would of lost both arms .Will always remember that day!

Would u not only have lost one arm :thinking:

bossyboots;7530872

Would u not only have lost one arm :thinking:

No, my right arm was outstretched across my then gf and was outside the carriage :thumbsup:

transit;7530859

I was once on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers, i had my arms stretched … I was once on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers, i had my arms stretched out, anyway something made me put them back inside.................within seconds we turned a corner and went through a tunnel, if i hadnt put them back in i would of lost both arms .Will always remember that day!

Lol, I'm sure it seemed that it was a close call, but I doubt very much a coaster would be designed in a way people could lose arms.

I like this thread, I'm a great believer in fate.

worst for me i think is playing basketball with a broken finger on my left had, had broken it 2 days before, then broke one on my right hand :lol:

ChipSticks;7530929

Lol, I'm sure it seemed that it was a close call, but I doubt very much a … Lol, I'm sure it seemed that it was a close call, but I doubt very much a coaster would be designed in a way people could lose arms.I like this thread, I'm a great believer in fate.

Believe me, i know it seems far fetched but i definately would of been armless,

my fault as they do have signs telling people to keep arms inside the carriage:oops:

transit;7530969

Believe me, i know it seems far fetched but i definately would of been … Believe me, i know it seems far fetched but i definately would of been armless,my fault as they do have signs telling people to keep arms inside the carriage:oops:

maybe not armless but certainly 2 very dislocated arms :lol:

transit;7530922

No, my right arm was outstretched across my then gf and was outside the … No, my right arm was outstretched across my then gf and was outside the carriage :thumbsup:

i actually thought u were joking :oops:

bossyboots;7531016

i actually thought u were joking :oops:

For once im deadly serious, i'm not having some armless fun :thumbsup:

transit;7531029

For once im deadly serious, i'm not having some armless fun :thumbsup:

Groan...

lol

Mines not very original but I met my boyf working at clarks 6 years ago and I remember feeling crappy the day I went to hand my cv in and wasnt going to go but I did and we've been together 6 years and have a house, cats and a great life!

an extreme one tho Is my friends parents who were on a cruise and running late back to their ship they missed their bus going to the port so had to follow in a taxi.. on the way back to the port a bridge collapsed with the bus on and killed everyone on it.. whilst they watched from a taxi a few cars behind (and obviously not on the bridge!)

Since that day i've been proud to be a computer nerd/geek :-)

aaron14danni;7531133

an extreme one tho Is my friends parents who were on a cruise and … an extreme one tho Is my friends parents who were on a cruise and running late back to their ship they missed their bus going to the port so had to follow in a taxi.. on the way back to the port a bridge collapsed with the bus on and killed everyone on it.. whilst they watched from a taxi a few cars behind (and obviously not on the bridge!)

Stuff like that just blows me away.

my mum was in hospital and had asked me to go see her she had previously said cause she was getting out soon she would just see me when she got home
    so was getting ready to go and could nt get the door open the key just would nt turn finally managed to get the door open but could nt get it to lock there was no one in and didnt want to leave the house unlocked cause was sure my dad would go mad at me (i was 15) so just went inside but and to this day i dont understand why but i got in and was like i need to go so just left the door unlocked and went to see my mum
    turned out it was the last time id get to see her she died a day later
    if i had stayed in and not left the house unlocked i would nt have seen her does nt sound like a big decision to leave the house unlocked but i know that if id stayed in it really would have affected me

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

WEIRD :O Just as i started reading this the Kelloggs advert came on and the opening sentence is "In my sport every decision matters"

Sorry if i have spoilt it, just wanted to let you know how weird it was

louloublue;7531301

my mum was in hospital and had asked me to go see her she had previously … my mum was in hospital and had asked me to go see her she had previously said cause she was getting out soon she would just see me when she got home so was getting ready to go and could nt get the door open the key just would nt turn finally managed to get the door open but could nt get it to lock there was no one in and didnt want to leave the house unlocked cause was sure my dad would go mad at me (i was 15) so just went inside but and to this day i dont understand why but i got in and was like i need to go so just left the door unlocked and went to see my mumturned out it was the last time id get to see her she died a day later if i had stayed in and not left the house unlocked i would nt have seen her does nt sound like a big decision to leave the house unlocked but i know that if id stayed in it really would have affected me

Sorry to hear of your loss at that age :/, But im glad you chanced leaving the door open

Banned

Thank god I went to my friends on christmas day at the time I did.

If I had gone 20 minutes earlier I would have seen his dead mum.

Thank you god :thumbsup:

DLM;7531569

Thank god I went to my friends on christmas day at the time I did.If I … Thank god I went to my friends on christmas day at the time I did.If I had gone 20 minutes earlier I would have seen his dead mum.Thank you god :thumbsup:

explanation?

Banned

numptyj;7531623

explanation?

His mum died on christmas day just before I arrived :-(

Original Poster

rep left to all contributors, thank you!

Banned

Oh man this is hurtful, i still beat myself over this every day when i watch cricket.

I used to play for Surrey academy cricket team and used to be the best player and meet cricket players like MArk Ramparkash, and it was either Uni or cricket ...

guess what I chose?

My stepsister was booked on the Zebrugge ferry in 1987 which capsized........she missed the boat and ended up not going but if she had of got it then she might not still be here now.

Torres88-;7531969

Oh man this is hurtful, i still beat myself over this every day when i … Oh man this is hurtful, i still beat myself over this every day when i watch cricket.I used to play for Surrey academy cricket team and used to be the best player and meet cricket players like MArk Ramparkash, and it was either Uni or cricket ...guess what I chose?

Badmington?

Banned

transit;7532107

Badmington?

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

thanks to all :thumbsup:

When I was 18 I was told by my doctor that I could not have children. I was devastated and my partner who is now my husband was also. We went for a few appointments and check ups etc and doctor said that I could go on medication to try and help me to conceive. When we started planning our wedding we decided that once we had got it out of the way we would try the medication and just do whatever we could as we knew we both wanted a family. Anyway, I became really ill and was passing out and throwing up a lot. After a visit to a different doctor, I found out that I was 8 weeks pregnant and my little miracle was growing inside me! I now have a 2 year old son and an 8 month old daughter and consider myself to be so lucky. If doctor had never said what she had, I never would have been so determined to have a baby. Not giving up is the best decision I ever made! Not sure if that is quite what you are looking for but that is how my family started!

mummylace;7533467

When I was 18 I was told by my doctor that I could not have children. I … When I was 18 I was told by my doctor that I could not have children. I was devastated and my partner who is now my husband was also. We went for a few appointments and check ups etc and doctor said that I could go on medication to try and help me to conceive. When we started planning our wedding we decided that once we had got it out of the way we would try the medication and just do whatever we could as we knew we both wanted a family. Anyway, I became really ill and was passing out and throwing up a lot. After a visit to a different doctor, I found out that I was 8 weeks pregnant and my little miracle was growing inside me! I now have a 2 year old son and an 8 month old daughter and consider myself to be so lucky. If doctor had never said what she had, I never would have been so determined to have a baby. Not giving up is the best decision I ever made! Not sure if that is quite what you are looking for but that is how my family started!

Heh, that's nice. Good on ya.

Original Poster

mummylace;7533467

When I was 18 I was told by my doctor that I could not have children. I … When I was 18 I was told by my doctor that I could not have children. I was devastated and my partner who is now my husband was also. We went for a few appointments and check ups etc and doctor said that I could go on medication to try and help me to conceive. When we started planning our wedding we decided that once we had got it out of the way we would try the medication and just do whatever we could as we knew we both wanted a family. Anyway, I became really ill and was passing out and throwing up a lot. After a visit to a different doctor, I found out that I was 8 weeks pregnant and my little miracle was growing inside me! I now have a 2 year old son and an 8 month old daughter and consider myself to be so lucky. If doctor had never said what she had, I never would have been so determined to have a baby. Not giving up is the best decision I ever made! Not sure if that is quite what you are looking for but that is how my family started!

That's a really touching story, I'm sure my students will love it.
    Thank you!

Thom;7533554

That's a really touching story, I'm sure my students will love it. Thank … That's a really touching story, I'm sure my students will love it. Thank you!

You are welcome :-D x

wierdowoss;7533604

HAHAHAProbably couldnt face seeing you.Took the easy way out

Bit harsh :x

Banned

Disgusting isnt it!

People these days...

one day I had to do a poo,

scary thing is though, if I didnt go when I did I would have soiled myself!! (tru story)

but srs nothing like the big things in this thread have happened to me. Good thing I suppose!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1536
      2. word association Game72944192
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277963
      4. Your dream gaming set up?2658

See more discussions