some questions about home projectors

So im thinking about purchasing a projector for the world cup , basically ... where do i start lol ?

I want one that i can plug my sky+ (poss sky+hd in the near future) dvd player etc into
Is it standard for a projector to come with these sort of connections ?
I have a really small room, so when viewing close is the picture rubbish ?
Would i be ok to just view it on the wall, or would you recommend a screen ?
Whats the bulb life all about ?
How long would a bulb last if i was watching tv for say approx 4 hours a day ?

Any help would be appreciated and rep added .

8 Comments

Whats your budget for a projector?, and a screen? because you will need a screen, whats the distance from the front of the projector (where you are going have it) to the screen?

Original Poster

GQ Man;8763834

Whats your budget for a projector?, and a screen? because you will need a … Whats your budget for a projector?, and a screen? because you will need a screen, whats the distance from the front of the projector (where you are going to put it? the screen?

Not got a massive budget, was looking at a second hand one tbh, its not a entire lot like 3 metres ? :oops:

bargaincrazy09;8763847

Not got a massive budget, was looking at a second hand one tbh, its not a … Not got a massive budget, was looking at a second hand one tbh, its not a entire lot like 3 metres ? :oops:

Amount would be helpful

Original Poster

GQ Man;8764119

Amount would be helpful

Sorry mate around £200-300 ?

bargaincrazy09;8764214

Sorry mate around £200-300 ?

I really wouldn't bother for that kind of money mate as there is a cut off point to what would be acceptable and the picture would look nasty for that kind of money:thumbsup: minimum i would suggest is around £800

dcx_badass;8763332

In a small room it's pointless I hate projectors anyway, a decent TV is … In a small room it's pointless I hate projectors anyway, a decent TV is always better. And I've used lots of projectors, did it as a job.

Well I've had a Sony VPL-HS1 for the last 8 years and had a LOT of pleasure out of it. You don't need such a big room to get a lot out of it (4-5m from projector to wall is the minimum I'd say though) and it has more impact than all but the biggest tvs, certainly for sport and movies!

As I said though, that's one I've had for 8 years so I am actually looking to upgrade to a 1080p model in time for the World Cup so I'd welcome suggestions too! AVFORUMS.CO.UK have a few suggestions for under a grand which is probably my max budget but I reckon that will help me get enough out of Sky HD - and my PS3 at long last!

You'd probably get one like mine second hand for a couple of hundred quid on ebay - brand new, I
wouldn't go for anything non-HD these days.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.

GQ Man;8764498

I really wouldn't bother for that kind of money mate as there is a cut … I really wouldn't bother for that kind of money mate as there is a cut off point to what would be acceptable and the picture would look nasty for that kind of money:thumbsup: minimum i would suggest is around £800

Rubbish! I got a 720p/1080i projector, 5 years ago, for 425 quid, brand new with warranty etc.

Perfect picture quality and still going strong.

Although I would advise not going for less than a 720p one.

amzmalhotra;8764791

Rubbish! I got a 720p/1080i projector, 5 years ago, for 425 quid, brand … Rubbish! I got a 720p/1080i projector, 5 years ago, for 425 quid, brand new with warranty etc.Perfect picture quality and still going strong.Although I would advise not going for less than a 720p one.

Your idea of quality and mine are very different things, mine is with perspective and yours is obviously without :thumbsup: post your comment ' I got a 720p/1080i projector, 5 years ago, for 425 quid, brand new with warranty etc Perfect picture quality and still going strong' on any home cinema forum and see what response you get.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2238
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523394
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread414614053
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846051

See more discussions