Some small businesses facing financial problems due to Amazon 1p glitch

37 replies
Found 15th Dec 2014
Just heard on radio 4 news that some small businesses are facing financial problems due to Amazon 1p glitch on Friday. Perhaps some people who were leaping with glee on Friday are feeling a tiny bit guilty. I know I would be.

37 Comments

Banned

13norfolk

Just heard on radio 4 news that some small businesses are facing … Just heard on radio 4 news that some small businesses are facing financial problems due to Amazon 1p glitch on Friday. Perhaps some people who were leaping with glee on Friday are feeling a tiny bit guilty. I know I would be.

The Chavs won't be feeling guilty.

I cant imagine I would be feeling guilty. Cracking deals at the time.

That's not nice to hear, I didn't touch as obvious glitch.

Did anyone actually get anything of real worth? I mean what would someone want with 50 pink wheelbarrows? Pure greed for some!!!

most have been cancelled prior to delivery hope amazon compensate these businesses

I did not see the glitch last Friday but have seen Amazon glitches advertised on here before but Amazon have refused to honour them and have cancelled orders, surely they will do the same with this 1p glitch? Not 100% up on Amazon just interested if they honour the price?

stuarthanley

I cant imagine I would be feeling guilty. Cracking deals at the time.

and that is just the point isn't it people do not give 2 hoots for others

Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially out of pocket for their error so its only Amazon that will be hit.

A lot of people on here got their orders delivered and carried on bragging...... Karma will catch up with them sooner or later.

Its a shame things like this happen, Was it a mistake through the company or Amazons fault? Surely if Amazon they would be liable to help foot the bill.

I would feel guilty and would think to send back (or ask to purchase with some discount knocked off like 10-20%) but going from the email the company sent (In another thread) i probably wouldn't sent the products back, Scaring people with debt collectors and threatening to recharge card is not a nice way to rectify the issue they are facing.

I guess they are just pee'd off hence the harsh email and hopefully they receive most the stock back.

My mum has recently lost her small business. It was heart breaking to see her really try to make things work and it just didn't. I feel real pity for some of these marketplace sellers as I can imagine they are now in the same worrying place my mum has just come out of. Hopefully Amazon help them out

It was a piece of price matching software that caused the issues.

Holly1985

Other threads about it you need some late night reading … Other threads about it you need some late night reading xDhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/amazon-mispricing-dispatched-2084501http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/cancel-your-1p-amazon-glitch-orders-help-small-businesses-2085134

Wheres my confession thread gone?

m.bbc.co.uk/new…542

"It took a further few hours to get incorrect prices reverted to their original prices where possible. Amazon have assured us that seller accounts will not be penalised for this issue."

Banned

transit

Wheres my confession thread gone?

No idea Transit, sorry you will have to wait for a reply on the "wheres my thread gone" thread ( I can't check or re-instate spammed threads)

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially … Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially out of pocket for their error so its only Amazon that will be hit.

Not what was reported on PM news.

Should be Amazon that takes the hit ,is it not there fault ? .

Holly1985

No idea Transit, sorry you will have to wait for a reply on the "wheres … No idea Transit, sorry you will have to wait for a reply on the "wheres my thread gone" thread ( I can't check or re-instate spammed threads)

Merry Xmas.

lynne77

No, it isn't their fault. It's the fault of another small business. One that developed 3rd party software for the Amazon platform.

ETA: These guys: repricerexpress.com/
Edited by: "MSK." 15th Dec 2014

It seems most companies have just cancelled the orders. Why don't they all just do the same?

Banned

stuarthanley

Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially … Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially out of pocket for their error so its only Amazon that will be hit.

no they haven't, they said seller accounts wouldn't be penalised, big difference.
lynne77

No.

Banned

exmouthred

It seems most companies have just cancelled the orders. Why don't they … It seems most companies have just cancelled the orders. Why don't they all just do the same?

Alot had already been shipped before the error was noticed. Sellers using Amazons fulfilment centre are the ones who were hit.

They were 'Fullfilled by Amazon' orders so the merchant had no control over the Sales & was unable to cancel them

davey369

Alot had already been shipped before the error was noticed. Sellers using … Alot had already been shipped before the error was noticed. Sellers using Amazons fulfilment centre are the ones who were hit.

I see. Thanks. Let's hope none have taken too much of a hit.

stuarthanley

Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be … Amazon have apparently stated that the businesses will not be financially out of pocket for their error so its only Amazon that will be hit.

lynne77

I order 4 separate 1p items - All got cancelled either Saturday or Sunday - Can't see how it would damage a business if they didn't honour the deal
(Not that I expected them too)

Banned

stuarthanley

I took the quote directly from the BBC news article that I'd linked to. … I took the quote directly from the BBC news article that I'd linked to. No need to shoot the messenger.

I wasn't, I was pointing out it was wrong, that was all.

Some are reporting losing over £100k in stock, they've got no chance of getting it back from anywhere unless the pricing software company has insurance to cover them

Banned

Clair4485

I order 4 separate 1p items - All got cancelled either Saturday or Sunday … I order 4 separate 1p items - All got cancelled either Saturday or Sunday - Can't see how it would damage a business if they didn't honour the deal (Not that I expected them too)

Thousands of orders were honoured

The third party software was advertised as "risk free" so, I imagine, a decent solicitor will have a field day.

Banned

stuarthanley

The third party software was advertised as "risk free" so, I imagine, a … The third party software was advertised as "risk free" so, I imagine, a decent solicitor will have a field day.

Obviously that would depend on if they have insurance, if they are a small company without many assets or money in the bank, which I believe is the case, then the sellers are screwed. You cant get blood out of a stone

I ordered dog crates and pet beds to give to our local pet shelter. After 30 mins or so I thought about what I did and contacted the seller, apologised and requested cancellation. I honestly dont know how others can accept these items knowing fully how the sellers are feeling, and knowing that they are royaly doing them out of business. I am pleased I am not one of them.

tdh31

most have been cancelled prior to delivery hope amazon compensate these … most have been cancelled prior to delivery hope amazon compensate these businesses

Same, I don't feel it is honest taking advantage of these scenarios.

Thing I don't get with this, is that the sellers were using third party software to sell their items for higher prices that they were willing to sell them for. ie only lowering them if the competition lowered theirs. I don't know why a business would use such software without something to guarantee that the price can only go as low as they want it to go, ie not 1p! Or an insurance policy to step in when something goes wrong.

Not saying that anyone deserves to go out of business for this, but it should be a big wake up call for people to make sure that they have control over their prices. Handing over control of your pricing and despatch of items to third parties without a back up plan is going to catch you out one day!

And those that didn't despatch the 1p item are getting negative feedback:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…2YO
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition73821
    2. Win free gin for a year99
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk33

See more discussions