Some uni ideas would be nice please....

Found 31st Aug 2010
Im basically switching degree from Accounting and Finance (which is uber gay btw) to an MA in Economics and history and i will have to do second year again, i have the option to choose another subject if i wish and can basically choose any social science or humanities subject, atm im thinking philosophy but politics is in my head too, anyone studied these? some info on what to expect would be appreciated

Philosophy would be the easier choice since my dad has a 1st in it lol

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments

ahah where are u doing a&f?

My ex got his joint degree in History and Economic History at Aberdeen. Is EH an option for you or is that what you are aiming for anyway?

which do you think you would enjoy more? I would say the politics might be the 'higher' of the two. If you like discussions with your dad and he can help you, go for the easier option. plus you will have to work hard anyway, why add more strain? Just think about which direction you wish to go and what will give you a chance over someone else. Good luck!

What about cake baking?

Give some thought to what you may like to do careerwise and see what fits better.

Original Poster

gs-rai

ahah where are u doing a&f?

Dundee lol
fern37

My ex got his joint degree in History and Economic History at Aberdeen. … My ex got his joint degree in History and Economic History at Aberdeen. Is EH an option for you or is that what you are aiming for anyway?

EH is what id like ye
bernyrabbit

which do you think you would enjoy more? I would say the politics might … which do you think you would enjoy more? I would say the politics might be the 'higher' of the two. If you like discussions with your dad and he can help you, go for the easier option. plus you will have to work hard anyway, why add more strain? Just think about which direction you wish to go and what will give you a chance over someone else. Good luck!

The easier option would be nice i suppose lol but i dont want to do something im not hugely interested in. I dont even have to do a third subject due to the credits i have from second year this past year, but i want to study something interesting while i have the chance to do a "free" module or two.
bossyboots

What about cake baking?

This aint no mickey mouse university like the University of the West of Scotland, this is Dundee, we only have real courses
WoolyM

Give some thought to what you may like to do careerwise and see what fits … Give some thought to what you may like to do careerwise and see what fits better.

If only life was so simple lol, I dont have a clue what i want to do for a career, im thinking the police after i graduate lol
Edited by: "micoo" 31st Aug 2010

Can I just ask, micoo? What's the point of a history degree? I mean what good will it ever to you, unless you decide to be a history teacher?

Edit. I see you might join the police. Sorry I asked

why the police, micoo?

Original Poster

deek72

Can I just ask, micoo? What's the point of a history degree? I mean what … Can I just ask, micoo? What's the point of a history degree? I mean what good will it ever to you, unless you decide to be a history teacher?

IMO, it doesnt really matter what the career prospects of it are, I enjoy it so i want to study it

police, then defo politics. Maybe tho, you might have all this during police training?

I did psychology, was great if you are going to deal with people in your career, so is philosophy come to think of it,

Original Poster

fern37

why the police, micoo?

when i was a wee lad all i wanted to do was either the police or the army X) my family aint keen on the army idea though, plus the police is a solid secure job and its something that makes a difference lol

micoo

when i was a wee lad all i wanted to do was either the police or the army … when i was a wee lad all i wanted to do was either the police or the army X) my family aint keen on the army idea though, plus the police is a solid secure job and its something that makes a difference lol

you going to stay within Scotland for that or anywhere? My ex went to a private school before uni and the police wouldn't take him because of that!!! He ended up in NHS management. But he loved history and that's why he studied it.

micoo

IMO, it doesnt really matter what the career prospects of it are, I enjoy … IMO, it doesnt really matter what the career prospects of it are, I enjoy it so i want to study it

fair comment.
dcx_badass

A degree is a degree, most don't have anything to do with the career path … A degree is a degree, most don't have anything to do with the career path but are a requirement for the job.

don't get it. Why have a requirement of a history degree for a job if its going to be irrelevant? Or did you mean just 'a degree' any degree?

Original Poster

fern37

you going to stay within Scotland for that or anywhere? My ex went to a … you going to stay within Scotland for that or anywhere? My ex went to a private school before uni and the police wouldn't take him because of that!!! He ended up in NHS management. But he loved history and that's why he studied it.

I dont know lol always fancied living in New York or LA at some point when i was still young, but i cant do that if i join the police lol. Really have no idea what i will do when i graduate.

You need to kiss a lot of backsides to progress within the police. Lots of political correctness, stats and the CPS not prosecuting unless the police have a 100% water tight case. I have a friend who hates what it has turned into.

Good luck with whatever you do

deek72

Can I just ask, micoo? What's the point of a history degree? I mean what … Can I just ask, micoo? What's the point of a history degree? I mean what good will it ever to you, unless you decide to be a history teacher?Edit. I see you might join the police. Sorry I asked

"Although history is a subject viewed by some as non-vocational, history graduates go into a very wide range of careers. This indicates that employers widely respect history graduates as having a valuable combination of skills.

Studying history improves the depth and range of your personal transferable skills and allows you to develop:

•critical reasoning and analytical skills, including the capacity for solving problems and thinking creatively, often through extensive reading;
•intellectual rigour and independence, including the ability to conduct research using different types of tools, such as information and communications technology, and sources;
•the ability to construct an argument by selecting and ordering relevant evidence and then to communicate findings in a structured, clear and persuasive manner, orally and in writing;
•additional communication skills, such as negotiating, questioning and summarising;
•self-motivation and self-reliance with the ability to work without direct supervision and manage time and priorities effectively;
•the ability to discuss ideas in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement;
•the capacity to think objectively and approach problems and new situations with an open mind;
•an appreciation of the different factors that influence the activities of groups and individuals in society."
prospects.ac.uk/opt…htm

Micoo have you got the option to do a foreign language? That is a really useful "transferable" skill to develop, and could be particularly useful if you are doing history. We always got higher marks if we used foreign language sources for essays.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys, but the body that pays tuition fees in scotland wont pay for me to do second year a second time so im having to do a year out X)

That's a great opportunity to go off and do something exciting!
Annoying that they won't pay for another 2nd year though....does that mean you can't change your course?

Original Poster

studentessa

That's a great opportunity to go off and do something exciting!Annoying … That's a great opportunity to go off and do something exciting!Annoying that they won't pay for another 2nd year though....does that mean you can't change your course?

I can still change course, but i will need to pay my 2nd year tuition myself lol

My friend changed from accounting and finance in Dundee last year after foing two years. Just came home to Belfast and didn't have to take a year out. Why don't you study somewhere else?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21102
    2. 5am gym crew20139
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2636
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769530

See more discussions