somebody that knows about laptops ...?

14 replies
Found 18th Sep 2009
Right, after my laptop 'died' on me the other night (had a thread about it), i realised that it wasn't an internal fault, it wasn't the charger or the battery, it was my damn extension cable that had died lol.

Basically, now im after 2 things, one is more RAM for it and the other is a bigger hard drive. The laptop i have is a Packard Bell MZ35-U005, it has a processor speed of 1.60ghz 1.60ghz (just read it like that from the laptop screen minutes ago) so i was wondering if any of you lovely HUKD'ers would be able to tell me how much it would cost for more RAM and a bigger hard drive for it, obviously RAM comes in DDR and DDR2, but im not too sure which one i would need, also what internal hard drive i would need SATA or IDE. If somebody could push me in the right direction or give me some links etc, it would be much appreciated and repped

Thanks guys and gals

Danny09

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
14 Comments

OK from googling, you have 1024MB (or 1GB) of DDR2 Ram. You probably will need to remove this one and add a 2GB stick

Use the RAM tool at [url]www.crucial.com/uk[/url] to find out the speed etc of the RAM

I can only find info that your HDD is 80GB, you will need to install a program to tell you what sort of HDD is it, i use pc wizard cpuid.com/pcw…php will tell you.

if you go here you can do a free scan and it will tell you what memory you have in now and what you need

crucial.com/uk/

as for the bigger harddrive you would do better to get an external harddrive than replace the one you have now.laptop drives work out dear to replace

. LOL @ EXTENTION CABLE MATE :p.

Btw, added you to msn.

Original Poster

t0mm;6322922

. LOL @ EXTENTION CABLE MATE :p.Btw, added you to msn.

shut it tom lol i didn't think of trying it in a different plug socket lol.

danny09;6322927

shut it tom lol i didn't think of trying it in a different plug socket … shut it tom lol i didn't think of trying it in a different plug socket lol.

my charger weent the other day, so i ordered two from ebay, and a new one from HP(under warranty) now i got spares

If I were to hazard a guess, I would assume your laptop takes DDR2 and the HDD would be SATA.

Pop your serial number into ]here to be sure or use the scanner ]here to find out how much more RAM you need and what type.

Oh and for costs, a stick of 2GB of DDR2 RAM can be had for about £17. Just make sure you buy new and in pairs.

hey bud,

I know its a mine field isnt it.
right from what i can see according to
crucial.com/uk/…Z35
you can have upto 2gb of memory
the memory type is
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
which is good as its pretty cheep at the minute

the first thing you will have to do when sorting out the memory is look at what you have installed, if it is one 1gb stick you can just get another 1gb stick, but if it is 2x 512 sticks you will most likely have to get rid of them to do a full upgrade to 2gb

Crucial says you can only have a max of 1gb per slot and i would kinda trust what they say, so you wanna be potentially looking for 1 or 2 1gb sticks (depending on what you already have installed)
of DDR2 PC2-5300
crucial are selling 2x1gb for about 25 quid but i am apprehensive advertising prices in case the sale police come and get me to let me know its a quarter of a penny cheaper somewhere else

hope this helps RE your memory situation

apologies lots of people replied when i was writing that

Ohhhhhh
I have a lovely idea

you have an SD card reader in your laptop

buy a lovely SD card (check to see if you can take SDHC)
and you can add 32 gb for something like 25 quid or so and you don't have to carry bits around and it can sit flush in if it is a cool card reader
this is what i do on my eeeee pc and it works a treat

hope this helps

Original Poster

t0mm;6322930

my charger weent the other day, so i ordered two from ebay, and a new one … my charger weent the other day, so i ordered two from ebay, and a new one from HP(under warranty) now i got spares

lol fair enough mate lol, not going to pm me back ? lol

Use Crucial or Kingston the memory is the blood of your system don't buy cheap its not worth it in the long run.

danny09;6322958

lol fair enough mate lol, not going to pm me back ? lol

just did, was coddin' it.. level 51..

kjbenja;6322961

Use Crucial or Kingston the memory is the blood of your system don't buy … Use Crucial or Kingston the memory is the blood of your system don't buy cheap its not worth it in the long run.

i just put play.com value ram in 2 pc's and they run fine... It depends on the budget really....

The person wanted 2 pc's updated at the cheapest cost so i got good sturdy ram but without a brand name
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions